• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London 2012 Olympics - love it or hate it?

London 2012 Olympics...

• Love it

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Hate it

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The kind that when you live on your own are just left out on the shelf?

Unless railway DVDs are somehow seedy and need to be hidden away, displacing the R18 DVDs to just be out on display?

Aye, the ones that I had to 'dispose of' when she who must be obeyed came to live with me sniff sniff.

I remember when I shared a house with a good freind of mine, his parents came to visit and he was panicking thinking of ways to hide my 'art books' and putting some DVD's the wrong way around on the shelf! :lol:

Mind you, the Wife seems to want me to hide away railway books and DVD's in a dirty secret kind of way, but I will not be defeated. btw certain unmarked DVD's still have a space reserved for them, poor girl thinks there railway photos saved on them. Best keep it that way! :lol::oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Would anyone beleive me if I said most of the things that need to be hidden where inherited from my ex, because he couldn't be bothered working out where to put them in his new house when his pearants came round.

Isn't it the case that a loved one be it male or female should accept you for what you are, or is it that every partner feels the need to be minpulative beyond beleif and change you for their own ends? </offtopic>

Anyway, Olympics only affects me since I'm moving down there toward the end of them.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Would anyone beleive me if I said most of the things that need to be hidden where inherited from my ex, because he couldn't be bothered working out where to put them in his new house when his pearants came round.

Isn't it the case that a loved one be it male or female should accept you for what you are, or is it that every partner feels the need to be minpulative beyond beleif and change you for their own ends? </offtopic>

Anyway, Olympics only affects me since I'm moving down there toward the end of them.

I think in any relationship there must be a bit of give and take and maybe R18 DVD's are maybe best not on display especially when you have guests? :lol:

Aye, we should be in China during the Olympics so sadly the fares have been bumped up a fair bit. Hopefully we can get a canny deal in the coming months!

valenta

Perhaps I wouldn't mind the olympics if there wasn't such media hype months before the event. Seemingly everytime I switch on the TV at least one channel is broadcasting an olympics programme!

Flamingo

Established Member
Perhaps I wouldn't mind the olympics if there wasn't such media hype months before the event. Seemingly everytime I switch on the TV at least one channel is broadcasting an olympics programme!

And every advert (whether the company is sponsoring the Olympics or not) seems to feature some sort of athletic reference (or should that be athletic support? :lol:)

junglejames

Established Member
And once again, boosts London's ego just that little bit further and further convinces is that it's not only the greatest, but the only city in the UK, and that Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow etc are just satellites of it.

Listening to you, everybody must wonder why the world has sporting events full stop.
Some people dont care for the Olympics. Some people dont like the money being spent. At least they have reasons for it. You just keep coming up with, well, I dont know, how can you describe the stuff you come up with?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was at first quite supportive of the Olympics until I looked at the list of sponsors:

This is a list of the sponsors. As you can see Coca-Cola (fine purveyors of a drink that's hardly healthy) are one of the sponsors, despite their human rights record which can be found here. I also object to McDonald's sponsoring the Olympics given that it doesn't seem worthwhile selling burgers at a venue focused entirely on sport. Finally, I also object to Dow Chemicals sponsoring the event because they still haven't admitted responsibility for the Bhopal Disaster of 1984, which happened at a Union Carbide plant (later bought out by Dow) in India.

Is this the same Dow that had nothing to do with the plant at the time of the disaster? Thats like blaming AXC for how Voyagers were built

Last edited:

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
It's the biggest waste of taxpayers money (and I thought I was a waste of tax payers at times!)

diggitydg

On all accounts, London's going to be a hellish nightmare to get around and the high security won't be that fun either!

Last edited:

Roughytuffy

Waste of time and money.
Not for the London Hotel's doubling, trippling their rates for the Olympic's. Food vendors doing the same. Not to mention many other ways the visitor will be scammed by our Rip Off Britain tactics. Traders will use it as a gift horse for a captive market and the poor visitor will just take it as it comes.
Nice to see on "The Tube" where thousands of pounds are been spent on internal improvements and new seat moquette re-trims for Tube stock whilst trains in the provinces are ignored and threadbare in some cases. Very nice as I travel on my trusty reliable Class 142 in the NE. Proud of it too!
Fortunately, I will be abroad for a great proportion of the Olympic shenanigans.
In all fairness, the Olympics should have been held more centrally in the UK such as Greater Manchester for example instead of all the monies going to London, because in fairness, take out a few visitor attractions aside, the city is an over-populated multi-culturalised dump.

junglejames

Established Member
In all fairness, the Olympics should have been held more centrally in the UK such as Greater Manchester for example instead of all the monies going to London, because in fairness, take out a few visitor attractions aside, the city is an over-populated multi-culturalised dump.

I'll let you tell Fergie that Old Trafford isnt in Manchester (no pedants please!)
The olympics are being held in numerous places around the UK, however, London has the best public transport, so its right that the majority is held in London.
In all honesty, could Manchester have coped? London has fantastic public transport, most of it already there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Rip Off Britain tactics.

Every country is the same. Not just the UK. Doesnt matter where you are. Singapore, Thailand, China etc etc. If they think they have a captive market, prices shoot up.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nice to see on "The Tube" where thousands of pounds are been spent on internal improvements and new seat moquette re-trims for Tube stock whilst trains in the provinces are ignored and threadbare in some cases. Very nice as I travel on my trusty reliable Class 142 in the NE. Proud of it too!

To be fair, these trains are about 20 years old and needed a refresh. Surely even Pacers have had a refresh over the years?

NY Yankee

You should be honored to host the Olympics. Elite athletes from all over the world will be competing in London, one of the most diverse cities in the world. People complain about the traffic and congestion, but it is a small price to pay for the honor of hosting the Olympics. It is a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You should be honored to host the Olympics.

Oh joy.

A huge multinational advertfest.

And in our backyard.

And we're supposed to be thankful. And told to be if we're not.

I'm impressed by many of the athletes. But not by what the Olympics has become.

The 1948 Olympics I'd have been proud of.

Hopefully I won't kill this thread like I did with the last one about the Olympics just a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.