• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London 2012: Third transport union rejects £850 pay offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
I'm not that familiar with British currency, but £850 seems like a decent amount of money. It's not like they're getting nothing. Across the pond, both of my parents are in unions. Getting back to the topic, people should be able to enjoy the Olympics and the great city hosting it. The last thing on their minds should be a Tube strike.

Tube strikes may be the least of their worries. I am prepared to bet as much money as you want on there being strikes by UK Border Agency staff bfore/during the Olympics.....(Govt attempting to impose changes to pensions which involve paying more, working longer and getting less)

Even without such strikes waits of up to 4 hours have been happening at Heathrow recently (according to the politicians nothing at all to do with the job cuts over the last 12 months or so).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So being united is kow-towing to management demands? The very virtue of being in the spotlight means that it can't be swept under the rug. Contrary to popular belief unions do not strike because it's been a slow week at union HQ. Perhaps union demands are too high, especially if no overtime is involved but perhaps it's justified? Why not reward those staff who themselves must battle Olympic travel to transport visitors around smoothly? It would be a good gesture of solidarity: the city should be united during the games, not divided. London will be in the spotlight for those two magical weeks.

Absolutely correct but doesn't only apply to the transport sector. "Call me Dave" would like nothing more than everyone to be united in his "national virility/feel good" festival - I think he will be VERY disappointed....

There are LOTS of folk out there want to send him a message and the Olympics offers the ideal forum.....

Status
Not open for further replies.