• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London 28/12, Loco extravaganza trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
To get a general idea of what's running and what's not (freight wise), I went out today.

I boarded to 11:38 Southern service from Forest Hill - Clapham Junction. I was expecting a Voyager to pass there around 12ish, but I guess the WCML diversions are playing havoc with the timetables. However, at plat.15 at 12:07, I saw a 456 and a 455 together, so I didn't get my camera out. Then there was another 456 then another 455 attached! Pretty rare, 456+455+456+455 ECS working, all motors on! I also wanted to catch the 12:19 SWT service to Surbiton in order to see the 8 coach 159+159+158 service out of Waterloo, but I didn't realise that there were engineering works at Woking. SWT were operating 10 coach 444s and 12 coach 450s every few minutes to and from Woking.

Anyway, I took a 444 to Waterloo, then took a 458 back to Clapham in order to get the new London & South East map from West Brompton. I did that, then took the District Line to Mile End, then took the Central Line to Stratford.

I made my way to plat.10. A 4 coach 321 arrived. I looked toward to country end of the platform and I saw a Freightliner heading West on plat. 10a. So I turned around and the loco was a grey Freightliner 90045 doing 4M87 Felixstowe - Trafford Park. A couple of minutes later, EWS 66175 passed plat.10 westbound. That stayed for a few minutes, then went onto the NLL. A few minutes later, Freightliner 57005 "Freightliner Excellence" passed eastbound with "4L90 Lawley Street-Felixstowe" (You might want to put that one back in Freightmaster ;)).

A 315 arrived on plat.9, so I took that to Liverpool Street, then the Circle Line to Paddington. I took the first available Heathrow Connect to Ealing Brodway, to see a 60, but the Colnbrook to Lindsey 60030+empty cement tanks service was at Acton around 30 mins early! I stayed at Ealing Broadway for about 30 mins, as soon as I arrived, a Freightliner 66 + Freightliner passed in the opposite direction. I didn't see any other freight.

Disappointed, I left Ealing. When we were approaching the North Pole, I saw a cloud of white smoke. When we got ahead of it, a grey DRS 37 was revealed to be spewing the stuff. When I got to Paddington, I took the Bakerloo to Charing Cross, then a Networker to Lewisham, where I called it a day!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
EPS = European Passenger Services. They would have run the Nightstar and what have you through the Channel Tunnel to mainland Europe.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
FGWFan said:
EPS = European Passenger Services. They would have run the Nightstar and what have you through the Channel Tunnel to mainland Europe.

aren't they used to move dead 373's?

TheSlash

Established Member
HSTfan!!! said:
FGWFan said:

aren't they used to move dead 373's?
Yeah but due to the design of the 373 {4 x redundantcy} they are very little to never used, so they go for a weekly blast around London to keep driver knowledge upto date and to keep the locos in good nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.