• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Airports into the city centre - best options

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalkirkBairn

I have a trip coming up from Edinburgh to London and am looking for the best options in from Gatwick and out to Stansted.

Normally we travel down to London City as it#s a simple DLR journey into Tower Gateway or out to Stratford for the Premier Inn.

This time though, we're staying out at Tottenham Hale. So

what's the best and cheapest way in from Gatwick Airport out to Tottenham Hale (for 2 adults and 2 children both with 11-15 oyster) travelling Monday after 10am

and

what's the best fare out to Stansted from Tottenham Hale travelling Wednesday after 4?

For both journeys, I expect that we will also reach the one day cap on Oyster/contactless with travelling around London without any of these journeys.

Thanks for any help in advance.
FB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

You can’t use Oyster to Stansted so would need a paper ticket. The easiest way would probably be getting a Thameslink train to Finsbury Park then the Victoria Line, Eg 1046 Gatwick to Cambridge Service, not sure if you can use 11-15 Oyster for that journey though.

Denzo

The best option for the OP here would be to take the train all the way from Edinburgh to London. Minute for minute it’s about the same time due to airport faff, it’s often cheaper and is a hell of a lot more convenient. Tottenham Hale is then a simple Victoria line train from King’s Cross.

However if the OP wants to fly for some reason then the best option would fly to Stansted and then the Stansted express takes you directly to Tottenham Hale.

Veteran Member
A couple of pointers:
Cost out a Family and Friends Railcard if you don't already have one.
11-15 Oyster only gets you half fare on rail, which your children get anyway.

As to routing, the service from Gatwick to Finsbury Park is erratic, and FPK isn't well designed for interchange with the tube if you have baggage.

Veteran Member
However if the OP wants to fly for some reason then the best option would fly to Stansted and then the Stansted express takes you directly to Tottenham Hale.

I imagine the reason is that they have booked tickets at good prices for the combination of routes mentioned.

cuccir

Established Member
I got quite carried away researching this one!

The short answer: get a Family and Friends Railcard and buy Anytime Day Singles Thameslink only from Gatwick to London Terminals. Travel on the xx:06 or xx:36 Thameslinks from Gatwick to St Pancras, and change to the Victoria Line for Tottenham Hale (using Contactless/Oyster from St Pancras). When returning, you can travel direct from Tottenham Hale and buy, with you Railcard, Anytime Singles to Stansted Airport.

The longer answer:
From Gatwick to London your options are Thameslink, Southern, or Gatwick Express. There's no particularly good reason to use Gatwick Express - it's more expensive and only about 5 minutes quicker than Southern's services to Victoria. Southern will take you to Victoria in about 25-30 minutes whereas Thameslink is a bit more varied - between 30-45 minutes to the first central London stop, depending on the stopping pattern through south London. If you're going straight to Tottenham Hale from Gatwick, then the absolute fastest option would involve taking the faster Thameslink services to St Pancras, where you can pick up the Victoria Line tube to Tottenham Hale. As the name suggests you can also get this tube from Victoria station having taken the Southern service, but the time it takes to go through central London on the tube more or less wipes out the slightly faster journey into London from Gatwick. The exact fastest at any given moment however depends on when precisely you arrive at the station at Gatwick as services are not equally spread through the hour: sometimes its better to wait 5 minutes for a quicker train, at other times you're better off just getting the slow train as the wait at Gatwick cancels out any time savings. The obvious ones to avoid are the xx:03 and xx:33 past Thameslinks as there's a quicker Thameslink leaving at xx:06 and xx:36 past the hour.

The adult off-peak cap for contactless journeys including Gatwick is £19.90 (note that this does not include Gatwick Express). The off-peak cap for a day's travel in London zones 1-3 (Tottenham Hale is in zone 3) is £8, so your journey from Gatwick is effectively costing you £11.90. This is marginally more expensive than the cheapest available ticket for Gatwick-London, which is £10.70 for a Thameslink only Anytime Day Single. For children, the 11-15 Oyster brings much lower caps around London, just £1.50 for the day off-peak in most zones. However for journeys involving Gatwick the children's cap is £9.90 for the day. A Thameslink only Anytime Day Single from Gatwick to London Terminals is £5.35 for children so there's more of a saving in getting that and then using Oyster for journeys once in London. If you get yourself a Family and Friends Railcard, then the combined cost from Gatwick to London Terminals Anytime Day Single Thameslink only is £18.90 so that's quite a saving overall - you could consider this equivalent of bringing the adult fares down to £4.10 per person. The relative saving of the Thameslink ticket with Railcard obviously reduces if you're travelling outwards to zones 4-9 after going to Tottenham Hale - the further out you travel, the higher your cap and so the cheaper the contactless option from Gatwick becomes, but I think the paper ticket with Railcard is still going to be the cheapest. It does reduce the number of services you can use from Gatwick of course but there are still 6 Thameslink trains an hour.

Travelling to Stansted is simpler. Conveniently, the vast majority of trains from London to Stansted call at Tottenham Hale, from where it's £16.20 for an Anytime Single per adult and children cost half of that. That's a combined cost of £48.60 or, with the Railcard, £27.60. If you're in central London for the day, then trains start at Liverpool Street and the overall cost is only a couple of pounds more than travelling from Tottenham Hale.

A Railcard is £30 but look around for online discount codes - you can usually find £5 or £10 off. If you have Clubcard vouchers spare, you can use those to buy a Railcard for £15 worth of vouchers.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
The short answer: get a Family and Friends Railcard and buy Anytime Day Singles Thameslink only from Gatwick to London Terminals. Travel on the xx:06 or xx:36 Thameslinks from Gatwick to St Pancras, and change to the Victoria Line for Tottenham Hale (using Contactless/Oyster from St Pancras). When returning, you can travel direct from Tottenham Hale and buy, with you Railcard, Anytime Singles to Stansted Airport.
From an earlier discussion on here (that I can't find just now), I think that the OP would need Gatwick to London Thameslink tickets to travel through to St Pancras. IIRC, coming from the south, tickets to London Terminals are only valid to (I think) City Thameslink (or possibly one of the other core stations).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From an earlier discussion on here (that I can't find just now), I think that the OP would need Gatwick to London Thameslink tickets to travel through to St Pancras. IIRC, coming from the south, tickets to London Terminals are only valid to (I think) City Thameslink (or possibly one of the other core stations).

That’s correct. You need a ticket to St Pancras or London Thameslink (or Kentish Town for full flexibility on cross London routes).

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Gatwick to Tottenham Hale is a long grim trek and much worse in the peaks. Stansted is a smaller easier airport and a fast direct train

cuccir

Established Member
Sorry - my mistake with the ticket name, yes, the ticket through to St Pancras is London Thameslink!

paul1609

Established Member
The best option for the OP here would be to take the train all the way from Edinburgh to London. Minute for minute it’s about the same time due to airport faff, it’s often cheaper and is a hell of a lot more convenient. Tottenham Hale is then a simple Victoria line train from King’s Cross.

Id suggest that the OP is probably starting from Falkirk going by his user name then he can probably save around 2 hours on the Rail journey by air/Rail/tube. Unless he manages to get the lowest tier of Advances by booking typically 3 months in advance flights will be cheaper too.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Travelling to Stansted is simpler. Conveniently, the vast majority of trains from London to Stansted call at Tottenham Hale, from where it's £16.20 for an Anytime Single per adult and children cost half of that. That's a combined cost of £48.60 or, with the Railcard, £27.60. If you're in central London for the day, then trains start at Liverpool Street and the overall cost is only a couple of pounds more than travelling from Tottenham Hale.
There is a cheaper option than this. If the OP goes to the Stansted Express website there is a £34 group offer for a Single ticket for two adults and two children between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.

The OP doesn't say when he is travelling (only mentions Wednesday but not the date). Stansted Express also do some Advance tickets, these are potentially as low as £19.50 for the two adults and two children, but the price depends on the date selected. Unlike normal Advance tickets these are not tied to a specific train, but are valid on any Stansted Express service on the day purchased for. These can only be bought on the Stansted Express website and also cannot be printed at station ticket machines; the tickets are either available for download to a suitable Mobile device or printing on a printer at home.

paul1609

Established Member
This type of trip strikes me as a false economy. I'd just get the train from Edinburgh.
I get that you and others on this forum(like me) like travelling by train but the journey time by rail according to Nationalrail from Falkirk to London Kings Cross is around 5 hr 30 mins, to suggest that's competitive with what can be achieved by domestic air is untrue.

Denzo

I get that you and others on this forum(like me) like travelling by train but the journey time by rail according to Nationalrail from Falkirk to London Kings Cross is around 5 hr 30 mins, to suggest that's competitive with what can be achieved by domestic air is untrue.

Garbage. I can leave Falkirk High tomorrow at 11:04 and be in Central London at 16:38 via a connection at Edinburgh Waverley.

Now, to be in Central London at that time via air travel means you’d be wanting to land at LHR/LGW/STN by 3pm latest, which means taking off at 2pm. Given travel time from Falkirk to Glasgow/Edinburgh and arriving at the airport in plenty time for the flight, you really aren’t going to be leaving a huge amount of time after 11am (and if you don’t have a car then earlier still)

vinnym70

Last time I did London/Edinburgh and return it was £28 return on Ryanair. Even accounting for time to/from airports and additional costs of onward rail connections, I'm not sure train fare from Edinburgh to London comes close - normally I've seen over £100 return quoted. I will it by train one day, because I hate Airports but cost and convenience has prevented me from doing it thus far :)

If you fully exclude the rail element (sorry!) and journey time, I'd expect the cheapest option from Gatwick to Tottenham Hale is National Express coach to Victoria Coach station (quick search suggests two adults and two children could be £21), a bit of a trudge and then Victoria line to Tottenham Hale using PAYG.

But, even though staying at Tottenham Hale, I'd still have probably plumped for flights to LCY with DLR to Stratford and AGA to Tottenham Hale.

paul1609

Established Member
Garbage. I can leave Falkirk High tomorrow at 11:04 and be in Central London at 16:38 via a connection at Edinburgh Waverley.

Now, to be in Central London at that time via air travel means you’d be wanting to land at LHR/LGW/STN by 3pm latest, which means taking off at 2pm. Given travel time from Falkirk to Glasgow/Edinburgh and arriving at the airport in plenty time for the flight, you really aren’t going to be leaving a huge amount of time after 11am (and if you don’t have a car then earlier still)
Okay then we don't know where the OP lives and how long it takes for him to travel to the station (or airport) but I'd suggest he leaves home at 10.30 for Edinburgh Airport and the 12.10 Easyjet flight to Stansted. He will have checked in online and only have hand luggage. If he hasn't got a car he can book a taxi for the 4 people the 20 odd miles (27 mins on google maps)-he'll still be quids in on the money he's saving on rail fares. His flight lands at 13.35 so he'll easily make the 14.00 Stanstead Express service arriving at Totenham Hale at 14.33.
He'll have time to check in at his hotel, have a shower and then get the tube to Kings Cross, carry out an hours trainspotting before meeting you off your train from Edinburgh.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I did not at any point suggest the train was faster.

Denzo

Okay then we don't know where the OP lives and how long it takes for him to travel to the station (or airport) but I'd suggest he leaves home at 10.30 for Edinburgh Airport and the 12.10 Easyjet flight to Stansted. He will have checked in online and only have hand luggage. If he hasn't got a car he can book a taxi for the 4 people the 20 odd miles (27 mins on google maps)-he'll still be quids in on the money he's saving on rail fares. His flight lands at 13.35 so he'll easily make the 14.00 Stanstead Express service arriving at Totenham Hale at 14.33.
He'll have time to check in at his hotel, have a shower and then get the tube to Kings Cross, carry out an hours trainspotting before meeting you off your train from Edinburgh.

Let’s count the errors in your post:

1. Leaving Falkirk at 10:30 for a flight that takes off at 12:10 is not a very good idea. As you say with google maps this gets you in to the airport just 73 minutes before the flight. Risky.

2. You’ve made the crude assumption of hand luggage only. If the OP needs to take a large suitcase, this could double the cost of air travel. Luggage is free on the train.

3. It’s ropey to suggest that an easyJet return to Stansted AND a taxi to and from Edinburgh would be cheaper than equivalent advance rail fares.

4. Making that 2pm train is very much in doubt given the time it takes the aircraft to taxi to the gate and the other usual airport faff.

paul1609

Established Member
Let’s count the errors in your post:

1. Leaving Falkirk at 10:30 for a flight that takes off at 12:10 is not a very good idea. As you say with google maps this gets you in to the airport just 73 minutes before the flight. Risky.

2. You’ve made the crude assumption of hand luggage only. If the OP needs to take a large suitcase, this could double the cost of air travel. Luggage is free on the train.

3. It’s ropey to suggest that an easyJet return to Stansted AND a taxi to and from Edinburgh would be cheaper than equivalent advance rail fares.

4. Making that 2pm train is very much in doubt given the time it takes the aircraft to taxi to the gate and the other usual airport faff.

1. An hour in advance is ample on a domestic flight. In the 12 month period up to last June I commuted most weekends between Glasgow and Stanstead.
2. A 15 kg hold bag costs £13 on easy jet. They're only staying two nights by the way.
3. The flight for Monday next week is £38.39. No idea how much a taxi from Falkirk to Edinburgh Airport would be but its 4 sharing. The cheapest advance without railcards on the train you selected is £70.50
4. No its not, theres a lot of padding in Stanstead flights if it leaves on time it will land early 9 times out of 10. The train is a 10 minute walk from the domestic gates at stansted. Even if you missed it theres another one in 15 mins.

FalkirkBairn

Thanks to all who've replied. Really helpful advice on the journeys to and from airports.

As for train v plane, family preference is flying over train. Me, not so much.

But for timeliness, sorry but flying to timetable is much quicker, more flexible and cheaper when not picking up the cheapest Advances.

Early start and late departure are the key differences for me - I can get into work at Bank for 9 am from Falkirk. With the cancellation of the early morning Stirling to London train, best I can do on train is 1130 if I'm lucky. Sleeper is OK too and I do know I could drive into Edinburgh for the very fast London train too.

We'll leave the house at half six in the morning and should be at hotel for 1130 (830 flight to Gatwick). If I'd found the 619 (617?) train and connections to Kings Cross for £240 all in at a week's notice, we'd be on the train!

Denzo

1. An hour in advance is ample on a domestic flight. In the 12 month period up to last June I commuted most weekends between Glasgow and Stanstead.
2. A 15 kg hold bag costs £13 on easy jet. They're only staying two nights by the way.
3. The flight for Monday next week is £38.39. No idea how much a taxi from Falkirk to Edinburgh Airport would be but its 4 sharing. The cheapest advance without railcards on the train you selected is £70.50
4. No its not, theres a lot of padding in Stanstead flights if it leaves on time it will land early 9 times out of 10. The train is a 10 minute walk from the domestic gates at stansted. Even if you missed it theres another one in 15 mins.

Fair do’s. I do London to Falkirk return six times a year and it’s usually a 3/3 split of train or flight. I’ll take a flight if I’m only going for the weekend because STN is very accessible for me on a Friday night straight from the office and with it only being a couple of nights then hand luggage only is perfectly feasible. If I’m going for a week though, then it tends to be the train as I usually travel on Saturday/Sunday when getting to one of the cheaper London airports would be a 2 hour job (I live in Ealing) and it’s much easier to just take the Piccadilly to King’s across with my suitcase and relax for 4 hours.

It helps that I have the 16-25 railcard to be fair, and also that I normally book my travel a long time in advance.

A Challenge

Established Member
If you can get a Family and Friends Railcard and then get a discounted travelcard (only available of , you will save against oyster PAYG capping, so do that, and you can buy a boundary zone single from Boundary Zone 6 to Stanstead/Gatwick, if you need a travelcard at all on those days. You may be able to buy inboundary travelcards at Gatwick, but I'd recommend buying online before you go, and I don't know at all about Tottenham Hale (but I would say it's more likely possible at the NR side).

Status
Not open for further replies.