• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge - new connecting line query

Status
Not open for further replies.
The work to establish the section of connecting line for Thameslink through London Bridge seems to be progressing well.

But the construction over Borough Market (around The Globe pub) and onwards over Railway Approach looks a bit odd. Having constructed most of the viaduct, there are now tall grey tubular metal panels being bolted on either side of where the tracks will run, almost all of the way along both sides. Seems a bit wasteful as surely all this will do will block views and give "Tox" and his chums a nice big surface to tag!

Anyone know what the purpose of these is? I'd post a photo but my low quality BlackBerry isnt really up to the job!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

The new viaduct is the route which Charing Cross trains will use some time in the future. The Thameslink trains will be on a horizontal alignment much closer to the current line although at a different height.

To me the side panels look to be privacy screens for the adjacent property which in some cases looks to be less than 10 feet away from the new viaduct.

The new viaduct is the route which Charing Cross trains will use some time in the future. The Thameslink trains will be on a horizontal alignment much closer to the current line although at a different height.

To me the side panels look to be privacy screens for the adjacent property which in some cases looks to be less than 10 feet away from the new viaduct.

Good call, I initially thought so too although they are on both sides of the viaduct around The Globe. They also seem to be a tad unnecesarry on the section heading down to London Bridge over Railway Approach.

Minstral25

Established Member
They don't quite look tall enough for privacy panels as train windows will be much higher once the sleepers, tracks and ballast is added inside the bridges, may be wrong though as its always dark when I go past.

I wonder if they are for sound proofing over Borough Market?

paul1609

Established Member
They don't quite look tall enough for privacy panels as train windows will be much higher once the sleepers, tracks and ballast is added inside the bridges, may be wrong though as its always dark when I go past.

I wonder if they are for sound proofing over Borough Market?

Not seen them myself yet but I'd imagine they are acoustic cladding to as you say reduce the noise and thus compensation to adjoining property owners.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is this the devices, seen in the attachment below - in which case they are definitely accoustic barriers as described in this planning document, a 40 page 'Operational Noise Control Scheme:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/33630_1.pdf

Although that document is primarily about noise control, it also has one of the best descriptions I've found so far of exactly what the works in the area include. Another one for the hard drive...

Attachments

• Accoustic Barrier.JPG
    Accoustic Barrier.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.