London Bridge PSB - how many panels remaining?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Bromley boy, 13 May 2018.

1. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

Now that the mid-Kent line and Lewisham have been re controlled to TBROC, how many panels and signallers are left in London Bridge PSB?

I understand (but forgot to look earlier when I was in the area) Angerstein junction, Charlton etc. are still controlled by LBPSB. So I assume at least one panel remains?

Assuming that’s the case, when is the final closure of LBPSB and will there be any kind of event, tours of the box etc. to mark it?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. carriageline

carriageline Established Member

2 panels

The rest of panel 5 (Angerstein, Blackheath Junction, North Kent lines etc)

Panel 7. Hither green and Grove Park

Rest of panel 5 goes next Mayish.

Panel 7 is 2020 IIRC

4. Bromley boy

Great, thanks for that!

5. carriageline

No problemo!

As for official tours and closing ceremonies. She definitely deserves one! I wonder if it would be the biggest box to close in the UK? 9 Panels

6. whoosh

whoosh Member

A film from 1975 about the then resignalling of the area and the power signal box:

7. Warwick

Warwick On Moderation

A most interesting little film thank you. Amazing how they managed to get all that done without (mostly) wearing orange suits.

8. collexions

collexions Member

J, I have April 2019 for residual Panel 5 to extend Lewisham WS, and May 2020 for Panel 7 to Grove Park WS. Let me know if you hear of actual commissioning dates from ops teams. Thx P.

9. carriageline

Cheers mate!

I knew it was around Easter-May time so wasn’t entirely sure, so that sums it up. Panel 7, didn’t know it was May 2020 so that makes sense!

We’ve also got Lewes around Easter next year too, so that will keep your chaps busy

10. Bromley boy

Absolute gold dust - thanks for posting this!

11. MotCO

MotCO Member

Men smoking pipes and wearing ties, and the complete absence of laptops as well!

12. Bromley boy

Indeed. And not a smart phone in sight!

13. kentuckytony

kentuckytony Member

A great little video. I loved the guys wearing suit coats and ties and yet pulling cables, etc.

14. mmh

mmh Member

Yes, it's fantastic! Because it's gone now I feel nostalgic about the "old" London Bridge going, so it's fascinating seeing the "old" one being new - they were proud of the brown footbridge then! The "new" signal box carries on though, the only thing still remaining perhaps?

Thanks a lot @whoosh for sharing this, it's excellent!

15. mmh

mmh Member

Halcyon days!

16. eMeS

eMeS Member

A fascinating film and piece of history, 1974. The year when the HSAW Act came in, with its requirements for Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work, etc. quickly followed by litigation lawyers.

17. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Though of course it also meant that workplace fatalities have fallen by 85% since then. I think that's probably worth it in the round...

Number of fatal injuries to employees
    (RIDDOR and earlier reporting legislation, Great Britain)
    [​IMG]
    (Image shows a chart covering 1974 to 2016/17 showing decline in workplace fatalities)

Source: Health and Safety Executive

18. nom de guerre

nom de guerre Member

Victoria ASC had ten panels.

19. Daz28

Daz28 Member

As much to do with the decline of heavy industry and the rise of the service sector as the effect of legislation.

20. Sunset route

Sunset route Member

That crown has now gone to TBASC which now has 10 panels (until they start migrating that place as well).

21. carriageline

Sorry. I meant if it’s the biggest box that has been closed by resignalling and migrations. I know NR have closed a lot of single manned boxes over the years, but not a great deal of multi manned locations such as the ASCs

22. nom de guerre

nom de guerre Member

Sorry - misread your post (which quite clearly stated "biggest box to close").

A few PSB/IECCs have closed - eg Dartford, Slough - but I can't think of anywhere rivalling LBASC's panel count.

23. nom de guerre

nom de guerre Member

Talking of which... (from 39:45ish):

24. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Is Vic Panel 10a and 10b the same panel ? I can never figure out where the boundary is as the kent map only shows it as panel 10 :/

25. nom de guerre

nom de guerre Member

I've always viewed it as a single panel (The PON shows it as a single panel, and - as you probably know yourself - they answer the phone as 'Panel 10', as opposed to 'Panel 10 a/b').

26. ComUtoR

GSMR has it as 10a and 10b and you speak to two different Signalers. Signalers answer the phone as 'Victoria Signaler Panel..... err.. panel 10 speaking' You guys and gals must switch panels pretty often :)

I'm a little OCD with Panels. They haven't even told us the panel of the new TBROC re signalling that happened last weekend !

27. hwl

hwl Established Member

Cos it has workstations rather than panels ;)

28. ComUtoR

Ooooh. Whats the difference between a panel and a workstation and are there any other variances ?

Cheers an advance as always.

29. Bromley boy

A workstation = a VDU. A panel = a big green, well, panel, with track diagrams, switches.

Come on, even as a driver, you should know that!

30. nom de guerre

nom de guerre Member

You do find yourself temporarily confusing which panel/workstation you're working, which day of the week it is, etc etc :lol:

Thanks for that; I didn't realise GSM-R at your end specifies 'a' and 'b'. Is there any particular area where this occurs (eg country side of Swanley)?

I'd still go with the PON, though: one panel, albeit possibly double-manned at times(?) and divided between two GSM-R IDs. Other panels (eg VASC Panel 2a/b; TBASC Panel 1a/b/c) are listed as separate parts in the PON, but VASC Panel 10 isn't.

31. ComUtoR

My last box visit was a couple of years ago and an A4 day. The big green panel on the wall was just stated to be the signal diagram and the bit where they sat was just their desk. I did see the GSMR panel which was effectively a laptop screen but even that was just sitting on the Signalers desk.

A end seems to be where it switches at Shortlands Junction and B end down towards bat and ball. I've never found any specific point where it changes. It used to be Area 31 all the way so I never knew any different. I only noticed the difference when we switched to GSMR and the incoming shows as 10a or 10b

I think that is the only one on our patch that splits. I was 'playing' with the GSMR the other day and didn't see panel 2 or 1 listed as a or b but I'll double check on Friday.

Cheers for the info