• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

carriageline

Established Member
Now we have a single down island, has the rule that was being enforced about no platform alterations after leaving Charing Cross now been relaxed?

Are we likely to see the two platforms being used as 'best effort' if the schedule is a little off, and trains just alternating, rather than sticking to their assignments?

Very short answer, no it hasn't. same rule as before. If you want more reasons as to why, I can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Very short answer, no it hasn't. same rule as before. If you want more reasons as to why, I can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in more info, please. I'd also be interested to know why many SE contra peak CHX trains still don't call at LBG. I've tried tweeting SE and calling their CS line but they either don't know, or don't want to say.

As an example, there are no direct trains from Crayford to LBG between 1551 and 1736.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I checked Abbey Wood to Waterloo (underground) and Abbey Wood to Southwark (underground). Both were showing as the same price as a zone 1-4 national rail only journey (£4.00 peak/£2.90 off-peak).

So they are. Southwark may actually not be an error as that is the fare you are charged when you change at Waterloo East and exit through Southwark station.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
So they are. Southwark may actually not be an error as that is the fare you are charged when you change at Waterloo East and exit through Southwark station.

That's possible. However, the Abbey Wood-Southwark fare also shows an alternative fare for "Using National Rail services only to Waterloo East" - and which happens to be exactly the same price, which seems to cover that scenario. That suggests the main fare is intended to be for routes that combine national rail and underground.

I Wonder if a possible issue is that Oyster fares generally change on 1st January. Might TfL be reluctant to increase some fares midway through the year? (Or, at all, given that questions would immediately be asked about Sadiq's fare freeze)

Last edited:

sparky18

On the subject of ticket acceptance, I'm sure I saw a page on either the Thameslink or Southeastern website saying that during the August Bank Holiday week London Bridge closure, Bromley South would be treated as a Zone 4 station [for Oystercard holders, but not contactless users.]

I made a journey Bromley South -> Victoria with my Z1-4 annual travel card (on Oyster) but was charged.

I can no longer find this page, so I'm wondering if anyone could confirm my recollection and point me to something that would refresh my memory?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Interestingly - on checking TfL's Oyster fare finder, it looks like Waterloo and Southwark are both still included in the reduced prices for people on Oyster. That's very inconsistent with the rules for people on national rail tickets.

Further to previous answers, there appears to have been a bit of a cock-up at TfL. The single fare finder is still displaying May fares even though September fares are being charged. A visitor to my site wondered why he was charged 20p more for Watford Junction to Elephant & Castle off-peak. The helpdesk have confirmed that there is an issue and are flagging it up.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Further to previous answers, there appears to have been a bit of a cock-up at TfL. The single fare finder is still displaying May fares even though September fares are being charged. A visitor to my site wondered why he was charged 20p more for Watford Junction to Elephant & Castle off-peak. The helpdesk have confirmed that there is an issue and are flagging it up.

Ah. So some of the fares really have become higher. That's a shame. But thanks for the info.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is there any news about what happens with the Thameslink timetable in January?

I'm a little confused because I was under the impression the London Bridge works would be complete in January, but on doing some Googling, the only references I can find to the new enhanced Thameslink timetable suggest it won't come in until December 2018.

Will London Bridge see any trains through the Thameslink Core in January? Or is there still lots of other work somewhere else that will be being done during 2018?

ijmad

Established Member
Will London Bridge see any trains through the Thameslink Core in January? Or is there still lots of other work somewhere else that will be being done during 2018?

Have a read of this

In Jan 2018 trains between Blackfriars and the Brighton Main Line will be sent through London Bridge rather than the Herne Hill diversionary route. This will be around 4tph so not particularly impressive for the moment. Also "the timetable structure north and south will be largely unaltered at this stage which means that these services will be held at London Bridge for around 10 minutes.".

The Dec 2018 timetable is being introduced in phases from May 2018, the biggest change in May for Thameslink will be 20tph through the core, with the full 16tph through London Bridge. 4tph from the Catford Loop will terminate at Blackfriars while they finish the ATO signalling work. Then in Dec 2018 the full 24tph service will be operating through the core.

Last edited:

evergreenadam

I am confused, have fares risen mid year? Why?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I am confused, have fares risen mid year? Why?

Perhaps this may be better in the Fares Advice section of the forum.

To attempt to answer your question, I believe that Transport for London/Greater London Assembly do not have an input into fares within the zones south of the mighty Thames (except with their own London Overground and Govia Thameslink Railway/Southeastern Railway local all stations services within the zones).

North of the Thames, there are interavailable fares for some routes, such as Marylebone or Baker Street to Amersham via Harrow-on-the-Hill, and the Bakerloo Line on the shared section of the Watford DC Line that runs out of Euston.

Fares that are the responsibility of TfL/GLA are normally revised in January of each year.

Perhaps somebody who knows more about fares in London could maybe add some comments?

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Have a read of this

In Jan 2018 trains between Blackfriars and the Brighton Main Line will be sent through London Bridge rather than the Herne Hill diversionary route. This will be around 4tph so not particularly impressive for the moment. Also "the timetable structure north and south will be largely unaltered at this stage which means that these services will be held at London Bridge for around 10 minutes.".

The Dec 2018 timetable is being introduced in phases from May 2018, the biggest change in May for Thameslink will be 20tph through the core, with the full 16tph through London Bridge. 4tph from the Catford Loop will terminate at Blackfriars while they finish the ATO signalling work. Then in Dec 2018 the full 24tph service will be operating through the core.

Ah, thanks, that clarifies things nicely.

teamsoutheast

Are there any plans for a pub to be located in the station (ie Wetherspoons)? Would be useful if you fancied a quick bite to eat and pint before getting the train home. :smile:

ijmad

Established Member
Are there any plans for a pub to be located in the station (ie Wetherspoons)? Would be useful if you fancied a quick bite to eat and pint before getting the train home. :smile:

Guessing the Shipwrights Arms might serve that purpose!

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Drinking establishments (Inc coffee) along side the P9 wall at the upper concourse level from where the temporary ticket office was and further East. Completing by Easter 2018.

ijmad

Established Member
After five months away, it seems James Nelson and his webcam are back!

ijmad

Established Member
It seems like they are replacing a lot of the interior cladding in the lower concourse lately. I think that's why some of the concourse is closed this weekend. What was so wrong with it? Or is there some deeper necessity that I isn't obvious?

Barn

Established Member
What are the plans for the area behind the hoardings on the left side of the upper concourse (i.e opposite M&S), and the area outside where the temporary ticket office was located? What will eventually be there and when will it be open?

ijmad

Established Member
What are the plans for the area behind the hoardings on the left side of the upper concourse (i.e opposite M&S), and the area outside where the temporary ticket office was located? What will eventually be there and when will it be open?

Large on-the-go style restaurant and some further smaller retail along the edge of the 'indoors' portion as seen below.
Allegedly complete around Easter 2018.

New_Shard_Forecourt.jpg

GW43125

Established Member
Apologies if I've missed this, but do we know yet what the limits of ATO through the core will be? I've seen markers at London Bridge through the core to St Pancakes so far.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apologies if I've missed this, but do we know yet what the limits of ATO through the core will be? I've seen markers at London Bridge through the core to St Pancakes so far.
There's a description here, from March. No idea if it is 100% current, but it seems to fit with what has been discussed before:
https://www.railengineer.uk/2017/03/22/thameslink-signalling-update/

May well have come up in a different thread than this though, the route issues and rolling stock appear in so many different places other than this thread...

Mordac

Established Member
That's the best autocorrect I've seen in a while. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.