• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I'll just leave this here:
tube_43.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FOH

Escalator broken on P11/12. Looked like the glass side panels had somehow shattered. Movement in the foundations? What with no lift either there were plenty huffing and puffing up.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thameslink trains to Greenwich line have to cross in front of up Cannon Street services on the flat.
NKE should have been rebuilt when it was surrounded by semi derelict industrial areas, now full of new build housing. Huge opportunity lost.

ijmad

Established Member
McDonalds is returning!

Personally I haven't set foot in one in a decade, but I'm sure certain late night revellers from Southeastern destinations might be very happy with this news.

Mikey C

Established Member
NKE should have been rebuilt when it was surrounded by semi derelict industrial areas, now full of new build housing. Huge opportunity lost.

But then the Thameslink service to Greenwich was never in the planning, where it had been decided to send all Greenwich trains to Cannon Street

Mikey C

Established Member
McDonalds is returning!

Personally I haven't set foot in one in a decade, but I'm sure certain late night revellers from Southeastern destinations might be very happy with this news.
Definitely will be popular. It always seemed strange that the previous branch (just outside the station) was located within the Guy's Hospital site. What next, a hospital pub :D

Barn

Established Member
Great news about the McDonald's. As someone who loves Big Macs and science museums, the closure of the old branch to become a new science gallery left me quite confused and conflicted. Now we get to have both!

ijmad

Established Member
What I really want is somewhere selling proper chips, not these french fry things

Leon does a rather nice line in baked fries.

The article also mentions an Honest Burger will be coming to London Bridge as well.

Mikey C

Established Member
What I really want is somewhere selling proper chips, not these french fry things

What I'd like back is the burger van who used to be outside London Bridge 20? years ago. Their (exploding) egg burgers were legendary!

ijmad

Established Member
Heard a rumour that there will be a Wetherspoon opening soon as well.

That will be a shame if it pulls punters from The Shipwrights Arms, which appears to be doing a roaring trade now it's not half-covered in hoardings and has significantly more outdoor bleed space in front of the station's main entrance. Don't suppose they've had a great couple of years (although I'm sure some compensation was provided by NR). Can imagine that being very pleasant spot for a swift half once we get in to the sunnier months!

FOH

Escalator broken on P11/12. Looked like the glass side panels had somehow shattered. Movement in the foundations? What with no lift either there were plenty huffing and puffing up.
The entire side of the escalator has now been removed, obviously a large failure has occurred. There’s more Kone barriers around one of the P6 escalators too.

BingBong50

Came through London Bridge today and both upper and lower concourse as well as Western Arcade look a total mess. Parts closed off, barriers, scaffolding etc all over the place. A hec of a lot of snagging going on to say the least.

ijmad

Established Member
Came through London Bridge today and both upper and lower concourse as well as Western Arcade look a total mess. Parts closed off, barriers, scaffolding etc all over the place. A hec of a lot of snagging going on to say the least.

Agreed. Does anyone know what is wrong with all the cladding on the lower level that's taking this long to put right?

Roast Veg

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there were persistent leaks down there, seen water in there multiple times over the past few months.

FOH

I thought the concourse coped well this evening with the service carnage playing out. I bet the staff breathed a sigh of relief that the final barrier layout hasn’t yet been implemented.

FOH

Lots of work going on on all Eastern stairs and escalators. On the Low Level side only access to P15 was available which took me by surprise with a tight connection from a Southeastern service having to walk around to P13 upstairs

fusionblue

The northernmost track into SE Land through the flyunder (not the pair that runs right by the recycling facility but the single one alongside) now has rusty tracks. What is that path for and why hasnt it been used at all?

Bromley boy

Established Member
The northernmost track into SE Land through the flyunder (not the pair that runs right by the recycling facility but the single one alongside) now has rusty tracks. What is that path for and why hasnt it been used at all?

I think you’re referring to the spur that will take TL services from Greenwich line onto the central lines leading into the core.

It is used occasionally by SE services.

FOH

The extended gateline was taken out of use today on the Lower Level platforms concourse - it’s now a Costain restricted area and has gained its own security guard.

ijmad

Established Member
The extended gateline was taken out of use today on the Lower Level platforms concourse - it’s now a Costain restricted area and has gained its own security guard.

Hopefully he'll be on the job for less time than the lift guy.

N/100

I see that Oddbins and the bookies at the corner of Duke Street Hill/Borough High St have both closed. Is some work planned at the front of the station ?

tsr

Established Member
Hopefully he'll be on the job for less time than the lift guy.

:lol: At least they rotate between locations during the course of their sentry duties! The best one lately is the guard employed to sit in a chair on the lower concourse to watch a bit of hoarding which “someone might go near”. (I’m not going to specifically say which fence or the full reason why, but suffice to say it seems an odd use of manpower.)

USBT

I see that Oddbins and the bookies at the corner of Duke Street Hill/Borough High St have both closed. Is some work planned at the front of the station ?

That sucks. When I visit the family in Coulsdon I take several bottles of decent wine to accompany dinner. OddBins was perfect for that just before getting the Horsham or Tattenham Corner train.

I also heard from a friend on a London forum that My Tea Shop on Duke Street Hill has also closed. That was a great little greasy spoon.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That sucks. When I visit the family in Coulsdon I take several bottles of decent wine to accompany dinner. OddBins was perfect for that just before getting the Horsham or Tattenham Corner train.

I also heard from a friend on a London forum that My Tea Shop on Duke Street Hill has also closed. That was a great little greasy spoon.

The tea shop is now something else cafe based; I noticed yesterday. Not a chain either.

Status
Not open for further replies.