• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
Recent observations:
  • Gateline extension on the upper concourse has now been removed, although looks like they have some work to do on the floors before that area will be done and dusted.
  • Hoardings are finally coming down around the new building on the upper concourse. Still a little bit to finish off, but not much. New ticket machines on the upper concourse in the new space that's been revealed.
  • The programme announced the Western passage and Cotton Centre walkway and the escalators there will be closed from June until September. Surprising considering there was a long closure of this area last year. Maybe there are issues?
  • Also announced, the Western Arcade is going to be closed 10pm to 5am weekdays and all weekends. Not sure if they're finally sorting out the water ingress or just preparing for more shops to move in.
  • The metal hoardings on Platform 15 show no signs of being removed nearly a year after the platforms fully reopened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Recent observations:
  • Gateline extension on the upper concourse has now been removed, although looks like they have some work to do on the floors before that area will be done and dusted.
  • Hoardings are finally coming down around the new building on the upper concourse. Still a little bit to finish off, but not much. New ticket machines on the upper concourse in the new space that's been revealed.
  • The programme announced the Western passage and Cotton Centre walkway and the escalators there will be closed from June until September. Surprising considering there was a long closure of this area last year. Maybe there are issues?
  • Also announced, the Western Arcade is going to be closed 10pm to 5am weekdays and all weekends. Not sure if they're finally sorting out the water ingress or just preparing for more shops to move in.
  • The metal hoardings on Platform 15 show no signs of being removed nearly a year after the platforms fully reopened.
The Royal opening in April(?) was rather premature!

ijmad

Established Member
The Royal opening in April(?) was rather premature!

Station does seem to be functioning ok, despite the large number of 'finishing touches' that are seemingly required.

One thing I've noticed is that daily operations continue to be rather staff-heavy compared to some of the other large stations. Mainly, I think, because there are so many small gatelines throughout the lower concourse that need supervisors. I guess that may be set in forever and factored in to the costings they'll have done for the business case.

Mikey C

Established Member
Station does seem to be functioning ok, despite the large number of 'finishing touches' that are seemingly required.

One thing I've noticed is that daily operations continue to be rather staff-heavy compared to some of the other large stations. Mainly, I think, because there are so many small gatelines throughout the lower concourse that need supervisors. I guess that may be set in forever and factored in to the costings they'll have done for the business case.

It's a massive pain when you have to go out onto the streets to access the Underground, especially in bad weather. That passageway is integral to the operations of the station and shouldn't still be leaking/closed a month after the Royal opening!

ijmad

Established Member
It's a massive pain when you have to go out onto the streets to access the Underground, especially in bad weather. That passageway is integral to the operations of the station and shouldn't still be leaking/closed a month after the Royal opening!

Yes fair point, that would be an example of something that is definitely not functioning!

ijmad

Established Member
Yes, there is a more permanent looking structure (like the ones on the other plats) near the stairs/escalators.

On the architectural plans these are referred to as a 'Bothy', which means a small shelter. I don't know if this is a railway term or something the architect just came up with.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On the architectural plans these are referred to as a 'Bothy', which means a small shelter. I don't know if this is a railway term or something the architect just came up with.
I think ‘bothy’ for a shelter has Scottish or borders roots, predating railway influence.

ijmad

Established Member
I think ‘bothy’ for a shelter has Scottish or borders roots, predating railway influence.

What I meant was that I wasn't sure if it was used elsewhere or universally on the railways to refer to such structures :smile:

FOH

Hoardings on 15 gone now
Hoardings are still there, just reduced in size

The departure boards this evening are pathetic. Only room for 2 Southern services with 6 Thameslink on the boards. Add more boards or dump Thameslink off of them. Useless

Also, I don’t get why my cancelled train gets manually announced, then is immediately followed by a computer male voice saying the same thing, followed ahain by a female computer voice. Just helps to reinforce my hatred of this company

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Also, I don’t get why my cancelled train gets manually announced, then is immediately followed by a computer male voice saying the same thing, followed ahain by a female computer voice. Just helps to reinforce my hatred of this company
I’ve wondered (cos the SWR announcers often do the same), if it’s because the staff making the announcements can’t normally hear the automatic announcements. So they see the cancellation on a screen and start letting people know just a bit too early. On SWR I often hear about half of automatic platform alteration or cancellation announcements before the staff talk over them...

Stew998

Agreed. After having used the new station for a few months, I do have mixed feelings. It's obviously a vast improvement on the old station, in terms of aesthetics, passenger flow, and most importantly, enabling frequent Thameslink trains. And I appreciate that the design will inevitably have been a compromise, limited by cost and also by all sorts of restrictions on what could safely be done - which most of us would be unaware of. But even so, I'm starting to get impression that the design perhaps emphasized aesthetics too much over passenger convenience.

One thing that strikes me is the vast height difference between the concourse and the platforms. Makes the concourse look amazing, but also means passengers changing trains have to go up and down unnecessarily large distances. This adds to the time to change trains, and means lots of people who would normally use stairs head for the escalators or the lifts instead, somewhat restricting flows off the platform. I'm also going to join the 'one lift per SouthEastern platform isn't adequate' brigade: A few days ago, I used the lift because I had my bicycle with me. Off=peak, mid-morning: Took the lift two round trips to accommodate everyone off my Cannon Street train - by which time another train was already disgorging more people into the queue for the lift.

I do wonder whether it would have been better to provide a balcony (Waterloo-style) or an overbridge so that people changing trains wouldn't need to descend all the way to the concourse and back - this would have had the side-effect of reducing demand for both the escalators and the lifts.

Then there's the location of the concourse even further from the Underground (where many people would be heading) than the previous concourse - although granted, the existence of the Shard would restrict what could be done there. Given the distance, did noone think about providing travelators, similar to the one between the Jubilee and Bakerloo/Northern platforms at Waterloo?

Lack of toilets inside the barriers is also an issue, although it's nice that there are ones outside the barriers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry that the station was rebuilt, but I do wonder how much of a priority passenger convenience - in particular, minimising the time for passengers to get between platforms/underground/exit/etc., got in the design.

Agree with most of this being a daily commuter from Sussex. Getting off the through platforms from a busy train is very slow as everyone tries to funnel down two escalator/stairways. Presumably though, if they could run all the planned trains they'd be less crowded.... The stairs/escalators take you to the lower concourse which is not very convenient if you wish to cross London Bridge (imagine that!)

Quite why the end ramps could not have been retained for passengers wishing to exit at higher street level is a mystery and a glaring omission. If they would not meet current design criteria then some other solution must have been possible? I can't see that the crush on the comparatively narrow strip of platform either side of the stair/escalator wells is very safe, I also wonder how long it will be before some poor soul falls all the way down the stairs, luckily Guy's Hospital is nearby...

Agree about an overbridge as well although that would spoil the "look" - overall the station is something of a triumph of style over substance or form over function. Does it look impressive? Yes it does. Does it improve my experience as a passenger? Frankly little if at all. When possible I avoid the Shedlink through trains on their own (lack of) merit and the platforms are equally unappealing. I'd prefer to take a comfortable Southern Train into or out of the terminus. If I want the underground then again there has been little improvement practically speaking; it's still a trek. In fact it seems further than before the station was rebuilt!

Positives? Well, there are more retail units but that's not really the purpose of a railway station is it? Or am I missing something?!

FOH

It seems unbelievable that 6 years after starting the work I'm still walking to and from work through a building site

Roast Veg

Established Member
I’ve wondered (cos the SWR announcers often do the same), if it’s because the staff making the announcements can’t normally hear the automatic announcements. So they see the cancellation on a screen and start letting people know just a bit too early. On SWR I often hear about half of automatic platform alteration or cancellation announcements before the staff talk over them...
Passengers (and commuters in particular) have a tendency to tune out automatic announcements - whether by design or not the current system gets them paying closer attention.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Agree with most of this being a daily commuter from Sussex. Getting off the through platforms from a busy train is very slow as everyone tries to funnel down two escalator/stairways. Presumably though, if they could run all the planned trains they'd be less crowded.... The stairs/escalators take you to the lower concourse which is not very convenient if you wish to cross London Bridge (imagine that!)

Quite why the end ramps could not have been retained for passengers wishing to exit at higher street level is a mystery and a glaring omission. If they would not meet current design criteria then some other solution must have been possible? I can't see that the crush on the comparatively narrow strip of platform either side of the stair/escalator wells is very safe, I also wonder how long it will be before some poor soul falls all the way down the stairs, luckily Guy's Hospital is nearby...

Agree about an overbridge as well although that would spoil the "look" - overall the station is something of a triumph of style over substance or form over function. Does it look impressive? Yes it does. Does it improve my experience as a passenger? Frankly little if at all. When possible I avoid the Shedlink through trains on their own (lack of) merit and the platforms are equally unappealing. I'd prefer to take a comfortable Southern Train into or out of the terminus. If I want the underground then again there has been little improvement practically speaking; it's still a trek. In fact it seems further than before the station was rebuilt!

Positives? Well, there are more retail units but that's not really the purpose of a railway station is it? Or am I missing something?!
And even more ridiculously there is still nowhere warm to wait in winter.

387star

On Moderation
Really is still a building site

Multiple areas are fenced off with supplies or are being worked on

Platform ten has an area of breeze blocks that's presumably unfinished

Wonder when the station will be finished

Meanwhile More London nearby has had an artistic water feature paved over as people are glued to their phones and trip over it

FOH

I saw this morning on the north wall of the upper concourse JC Deceaux have their new massive advertising screen in use. However none of the passenger information screens have yet been commissioned.

Stew998

Breaking News...

New London Architecture Awards 2018

"London Bridge Station, by Grimshaw for Network Rail
, has been named Overall Winner 2018, while also being the winner for the Transport & Infrastructure category and the Sustainability Prize.

The long-running project – one of the most complex and ambitious rail station redevelopments in the UK – was praised for its impressive scale and complexity and for having sustainability as a key driving factor in both its design and construction."

http://newlondonarchitecture.org/wh...-london-awards/new-london-awards-2018-winners

As a project and a building I suppose it is impressive but as a passenger is it an improvement in functionality?

Questionable in my opinion as a daily user, and that's being charitable.

Daz28

I saw this morning on the north wall of the upper concourse JC Deceaux have their new massive advertising screen in use. However none of the passenger information screens have yet been commissioned.
Those passenger information screens were working today, albeit one was faulty and under repair.

387star

On Moderation
Those passenger information screens were working today, albeit one was faulty and under repair.
The areas of hazard tape on the floor nearby... was that previously a gateline?
What will the building behind the new screens be used for?
I notice a Pret downstairs but no indoor seating which is a shame unless there is a larger one somewhere

ijmad

Established Member
The areas of hazard tape on the floor nearby... was that previously a gateline?

Yep.

What will the building behind the new screens be used for?

More shops and a large cafe/restaurant over two floors.

I notice a Pret downstairs but no indoor seating which is a shame unless there is a larger one somewhere

There is a much larger Pret under a minute's walk away on the opposite side of Tooley Street.

Barn

Established Member
There is a much larger Pret under a minute's walk away on the opposite side of Tooley Street.

And another large one near the entrance to the tube station on Borough High Street, plus another 3 within a 5 minute walk!

I work at London Bridge and could easily visit a different Pret each day of the week for my lunch.

ijmad

Established Member
And another large one near the entrance to the tube station on Borough High Street, plus another 3 within a 5 minute walk!

I work at London Bridge and could easily visit a different Pret each day of the week for my lunch.

Don't forget the one in More London and the one at Clink Street... it's Pret-ty ridiculous!

6cgDCJL.png

387star

On Moderation

I like Pret but I'm actually getting tired of their selection

Any other good chain places which serve decent baguettes and sandwiches i.e. good quality chewy bread.. ingredients made fresh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.