• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge - Victoria service( via Peckham Rye)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I understand this route is going to end, I have used it a few times im dont live in London, but think it is a real handy link, and have found it quicker than the tube at times between these two termini .I also think it maybe the only London service that begins and end at two Central London stations ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
There is also the Outer South London Line from Victoria to London Bridge via Crystal Palace.

When there has been engineering work I think there has been a shuttle from Charing Cross to Cannon Street via the single-track curve.

Shaggy

When I lived in Clapham, this service was a wonderful find saving me from the horrors of cramming onto the Northern Line into Bank at 8am.

The service was excellently used throughout peak times, however it was always practically empty at other times which I guess is where the problems lie.

tbtc

Veteran Member
When there has been engineering work I think there has been a shuttle from Charing Cross to Cannon Street via the single-track curve

I've wondered whether anything ever used that chord - cheers

As for the OP, I suppose the problem with this route is that it takes up four paths each hour into/out of two of the busiest stations in the UK, which could be used instead for long distance services

12CSVT

Established Member

As for the OP, I suppose the problem with this route is that it takes up four paths each hour into/out of two of the busiest stations in the UK, which could be used instead for long distance services

The chord between Metropolitan Jct and Cannon Street is used for quite a few ECS workings during the peak hours (about 10 trains each morning and the same in the evening). Only once done that chord about 20 years ago when there was an emergency possession on plat 6 at London Bridge.

Oracle

Established Member
Isn't it called the Metropolitan Curve or similar? Back in 1973 I used to go to the Legal & General building in Queen Anne Street, and from there you could see the entrance to Cannon Street and the chord..I am sure it was a double-track then.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The chord between Metropolitan Jct and Cannon Street is used for quite a few ECS workings during the peak hours (about 10 trains each morning and the same in the evening). Only once done that chord about 20 years ago when there was an emergency possession on plat 6 at London Bridge.

Soon to be removed if according to the plans the Thameslink Project disconnects it at the Borough Market end, I think it just becomes a single 12 car siding...

thefab444

Established Member
Isn't it called the Metropolitan Curve or similar? Back in 1973 I used to go to the Legal & General building in Queen Anne Street, and from there you could see the entrance to Cannon Street and the chord..I am sure it was a double-track then.

Yes, Metropolitan Curve.

It's used a few times every year for Cannon Street - Charing Cross shuttles during engineering works.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Cheers - didn't realise

Which direction are they running in each peak (our of interest)?

12CSVT

Established Member
Cheers - didn't realise

Which direction are they running in each peak (our of interest)?

Away from Cannon Street in the mornings, towards Cannon Street in the evenings.
As far as I'm aware on leaving Cannon Street they run into a siding just south of the river from Blackfriars Station before heading towards any of several carriage sidings in south London (eg, Victoria Grosvenor depot, Bellingham, possibly Orpington). They then do the reverse for the evening peak.

bravesirrobin

Yep...Once the works start at London Bridge, and the ELL extension to Clapham via Wandsworth Road starts running(late 2011?), it's gone as there are no paths.

Just hoping they have something to replace it into Victoria on Sundays!

The chord certainly was laid and operated as double track.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I remember it being double track; I'm pretty sure it was still double track when I bashed it between Waterloo east and Cannon Street with a 47/3 and a pair of CEPs in the "wrong snow" event in 1991...

From memory, it was singled in the mid 1990s.

thefab444

Established Member
Just a quick semi-related heads up; Metropolitan Curve will be in use on Sunday 5th December. Services that normally run out of Charing Cross will divert to Cannon Street, and there will be a shuttle service between Charing Cross and Cannon Street - usually this runs to a 15 minute frequency and is formed of Class 376 units.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.