• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bus Depot in Cranfield (Beds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

I'm currently on the campus of Cranfield University in Bedfordshire. Behind the petrol station (Wharley End Garage), there is a small compound containing red buses. I can't see much as there is a fence.

What I can see is that they are London Buses. One is showing number 18. That would suggest the bus is owned by First.

Does anyone know anything about this compound? There are a fair few buses there (hardly ever see any leave) and it is quite a distance from London to be used as an everyday parking spot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I'm currently on the campus of Cranfield University in Bedfordshire. Behind the petrol station (Wharley End Garage), there is a small compound containing red buses. I can't see much as there is a fence.

What I can see is that they are London Buses. One is showing number 18. That would suggest the bus is owned by First.

Does anyone know anything about this compound? There are a fair few buses there (hardly ever see any leave) and it is quite a distance from London to be used as an everyday parking spot.

Double deckers or single deckers? If they are single deckers then they may be bendy buses displaced from London and simply being kept there in storage till someone can buy them and use them!

Brucey

All single deck. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if they are bendy. As far as I can remember, I didn't see anything that looked bendy.

martinsh

Established Member
So that's where First London's bendybuses have got to ! Unlike other operators First's were only leased, so have gone back to leasing company rather than to provincial parts of the organisation

mbonwick

Established Member
Most London operators leased the bendies - but a few took up the option to buy them outright.

Stagecoach/ELBG also leased theirs FWIW.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
On North Acton road there is a compound of London buses for disposal. I think you will find that most are not compliant with the latest TfL requirements.

westcoaster

Established Member

I think that that is where either ventura or dawsons keep there stock, more likely ventura as dawsons has a big yard down the road in olney.

Brucey

I had a good look today. The fence is quite high, but they are definitely bendy buses. Must be their resting place until a new owner/lessee can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.