• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bus workers ballot for Strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bus-workers-vote-on-olympic-strike-7608803.html

Alan Jones of The Independent said:
Bus workers vote on Olympic strike

Thousands of London bus workers are to be balloted for strikes in a row over payment for working during the Olympic Games.

Unite said 24,000 of its members employed by 15 separate bus operators will vote over whether to launch a campaign of industrial action.

The union has called for a £500 payment to recognise and reward bus workers for the "massive increase" in workloads during the Olympics.

Unite said the equivalent of more than 9,000 double-decker busloads of extra passengers will descend on London for the event.

With only a few months left until the Olympics, Unite said neither the bus operators nor Transport for London has engaged with the unions to plan for the Games or discuss a payment similar to deals agreed with other transport workers.

Unite regional secretary Peter Kavanagh said: "The London bus is an iconic symbol for London and bus workers will be on the front line, dealing with the extra congestion and helping passengers find their way around London.

"Despite the significant extra pressure, the operators are refusing to recognise the contribution bus workers will be making to the success of the Olympics.

"Every other transport worker in London is getting a payment, with the exception of the bus workers. London bus operators are doing passengers and their workers a huge disservice by refusing to engage with the union. It is a massive error of judgment."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I do hope so. I would find it so amusing, when the Eyes of the World are Upon Us.

My gosh, that's a dreadfully laid out page, isn't it. You have to scroll down a couple of miles to find the actual story. Unless it's just my Browser or something.

SS4

Established Member
It's your browser. On mine it decides to only use about 1000 pixels width :(

AndrewP

This is shocking.

Unite seem to be trying a strategy of blackmail.

Do I think the workers deserve a bonus - probably but this heavy handed approach is simply wrong.

Nym

Established Member
This is shocking.

Unite seem to be trying a strategy of blackmail.

Do I think the workers deserve a bonus - probably but this heavy handed approach is simply wrong.

Compare this to the very heavy handed approach and blackmail that employers usually take with their workers, be them unionised or not...

The amount of people I have seen forced out of work in non union jobs because of employers, and when they tried it with me I had the full power of Unite behind me and it ended up costing the company in question a significant amount of money and a written apology.

It's always nice to see people commening on heavy handed unions when they have never been victim to the paws of employers, usually I find being those in good or well paid jobs (or students who don't work) that don't realise the advantages taken with skilled and semi skilled labour workers by office based managers that think they can just get more staff in to replace them, when this isn't the case. This happens across all industries, not just transport.

Nym

Established Member
Proberbly...

Paris likes striking.

It would also have numerous other problems due to the fact that Paris isn't like what everyone thinks, only when using rose tinted spectacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.