• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

higthomas

High time that TfL adopted LED screens for route numbers and destinations. Blinds are just so outdated, inflexible and costly to change.

I definitely second this. Whilst yes, blinds are clearer, the frequency with which they are wrong is just far too high, and is definitely outweighing the marginal impact of that clarity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AB93

I am split truth be told, on the matter. Blinds are cheaper to install, maintain and replace but at the same time the clarity of smart blinds is second to none. No LED can ever replicate that quality. But of course, LED as you say is much more flexible and can show multiple messages and be updated instantly.

In the case of this one off isolated incident it is fair to say the LT shouldn't have been on the 133 anyways so the blinds work fine for the job they do.
The tube trains and trams have LEDs. Passengers seem to manage...!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Almost everywhere[certainly every major operator] in the UK & beyond have LED blinds installed in buses, the white LEDs are much better than the orange ones, i'm amazed TFL still insists on roller blinds in TFL area, but bizarrely the sightseeing tour buses in London have LEDS

LEDs can be updated much more easily if there's a change to the destination of the bus, rather than putting a new piece of canvas[or whatever else they use] then painting the destination on, in a roller blind

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Almost everywhere[certainly every major operator] in the UK & beyond have LED blinds installed in buses, the white LEDs are much better than the orange ones, i'm amazed TFL still insists on roller blinds in TFL area, but bizarrely the sightseeing tour buses in London have LEDS

LEDs can be updated much more easily if there's a change to the destination of the bus, rather than putting a new piece of canvas[or whatever else they use] then painting the destination on, in a roller blind
The blinds on sightseeing buses and other non-TfL services are not subject to the rules TfL sets for its own tendered services.

Mikey C

Established Member
The electric Caetano things on the C10 have very high res LED destination screens which approximate New Johnston. Other recent deliveries have stuck with blinds though.
The Solo SRs on the Hampstead Garden Suburb routes also have LED blinds, I don't think conventional blinds are an option on that model

londonteacher

LED displays (which are used around the country with no issues) would also allow for any bus to be used on any route subject to other requirements. Currently, buses are being moved around London to suit the needs of the current covid service with buses from other garages being used. The LT on the 133 was probably due to an unavailable bus so they used what they had available rather than cancelling a service which would have not helped with social distancing. LED blinds would have allowed this bus to display the correct signage.

LED displays also could display when the bus is full, say which buses are school services are only, have information about diversions on it to aid passengers before boarding.

I love the blinds it is one of the things that makes London London, but realistically with TFL trialling LED blinds on certain routes, it won't be long until London is blind free except on heritage routes.

whoosh

Established Member
Shame nothing has really come of e-ink displays for bus destination screens. They can show different things with the same flexibility as LED, but with the clarity of blinds.

cnjb8

Established Member
I think the reason why some buses have been delivered with LEDs is because TfL now demands them.

The Solo SRs on the Hampstead Garden Suburb routes also have LED blinds, I don't think conventional blinds are an option on that model
They will do. Blinds usually are fitted by an external company

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I think the reason why some buses have been delivered with LEDs is because TfL now demands them.

They will do. Blinds usually are fitted by an external company
Solo SRs physically cannot have blinds fitted.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Shame nothing has really come of e-ink displays for bus destination screens. They can show different things with the same flexibility as LED, but with the clarity of blinds.

e-ink can be used in so many applications on and off the bus, but it seems development has been very slow in lots of industries where it would work brilliantly. Colour e-ink is increasingly becoming viable, and could potentially be used to replace posters at stations/bus stops that give timetable information, engineering work details and so on. It would then be possible to have timetables with real-time information/amendments, information regarding local disruption and so much more.

MotCO

Established Member

I've always wondered why Go-Ahead London were so keen on the Streetlite, rather than the Solo. Maybe it was because Solo SRs could not be fitted with roller blinds, a TfL requirement, whereas Streetlites can.

cnjb8

Established Member

I've always wondered why Go-Ahead London were so keen on the Streetlite, rather than the Solo. Maybe it was because Solo SRs could not be fitted with roller blinds, a TfL requirement, whereas Streetlites can.
There is no reason why the Solo SR wouldn't be able to have blinds fitted

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I did wonder if that might be coming. The extreme dislike of LEDs was largely down to a couple of senior staff who have moved on.

AB93

The Quality Line RATP ones have.

How do you know that ? - it's not what the operator, or TfL, has stated.
Please clarify your source.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Very interesting. Metroline said they couldn't be fitted with blinds and that they'd had to ask TfL to accept LEDs.

AB93

Very interesting. Metroline said they couldn't be fitted with blinds and that they'd had to ask TfL to accept LEDs.
Perhaps due to the narrow width (are they any different)? Either way, whatever it is would appear to be specific to those buses, rather than the type as a whole.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Metroline Solo LEDs don't look great from certain angles, certainly not on this day

OS2504-YJ68FXG-L.jpg

Established Member
From what I heard with the Metroline Solos, it is to do with the weight of the power blind units causing the bus to exceed TfLs weight limits for 7.8m buses? It was considerably lighter to use LEDs instead.

londonteacher

The Metroline Solo LEDs don't look great from certain angles, certainly not on this day

OS2504-YJ68FXG-L.jpg
LED displays don't always show well on cameras anyway.

cnjb8

Established Member
Bus Lists on the Web is now showing some new Wright StreetDecks for Metroline numbered WHD2708-2727. I'm guessing these are the hydrogen buses, will be able confirm once the chassis number is added.

jon0844

Veteran Member

OS2504-YJ68FXG-L.jpg

Uno buses have white LED 'blinds' on some new buses and they seem perfectly bright, except for at the rear where they sit behind tinted glass. As you can imagine, they're very hard to read in that situation - but that's not the fault of the display.

LEDs come in all different shapes and sizes and if you see how bright an Infotec display with white LEDs is at a train station, it's clear that brightness isn't an issue if you use the right components.

You can also ensure they're readable at an angle, and even put in an ambient light sensor to adjust the brightness. Likewise, the new displays can simulate greyscales through varying brightness levels.

I do think e-ink with a suitable backlight (again, adjustable to conditions) would work better, given I am sure TfL isn't likely to want scrolling text or anything like that (e-ink is of course terrible for anything scrolling/animating).

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Bus Lists on the Web is now showing some new Wright StreetDecks for Metroline numbered WHD2708-2727. I'm guessing these are the hydrogen buses, will be able confirm once the chassis number is added.
They are indeed the hydrogen buses. Will operate route 7 between East Acton and Oxford Circus.

Established Member
They are indeed the hydrogen buses. Will operate route 7 between East Acton and Oxford Circus.
Should allow the current VWH Volvo hybrids to move to route 328 from Cricklewood when Metroline take over next Summer.

Tower Transit has got all 10 Optares in service on route C3 and are awaiting further delivery of Optares for route 23

Ex-Tower Transit VN36153 now with CT Plus at Ash Grove garage

Ex-Abellio Enviro 200 MMCs previously at Walworth for route C10 that have been used on coronavirus school extras across Go-Ahead London are now being refurbished ahead of Bexleyheath's takeover of routes 469 and B12

Last edited:

galwhv69

The Quality Line RATP ones have.
The Metroline Solo's have LED's as they are thinner, so the Powerblind Unit cannot fit in

JetBlast

What is the situation with LED blinds in London please? Are they only allowed under special circumstances? I thought I had read somewhere that TFL gave the Hi-res LED displays the green light.