• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

londonteacher

This was Heathrow proving its green credentials.

Should there be a charge to enter an airport as a pedestrian?

Is it possible to walk into T5?
I think so - can't be 100% certain. But you can definitely walk to Hatton Cross which is in the free travel zone and then get the tube from there to the terminals.

I thought the free travel zone was a condition of planning consent for removing the pedestrian access from Heathrow central.
For Heathrow Central maybe - but as stated above you can get to Hatton Cross and then to any terminal by tube for free.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
I think so - can't be 100% certain. But you can definitely walk to Hatton Cross which is in the free travel zone and then get the tube from there to the terminals.

For Heathrow Central maybe - but as stated above you can get to Hatton Cross and then to any terminal by tube for free.
Hatton Cross isn't in the free travel zone

duncombec

Hatton Cross isn't in the free travel zone
Heathrow Airport beg to differ: https://www.heathrow.com/content/da...ments/transport/Heathrow-Free-Travel-Zone.pdf.
(Link is a PDF map of the Heathrow Free Travel Zone updated to January 2021, stating buses and trains shown are free to use between any point shown on this diagram, of which Hatton Cross is one).

The following link also suggests it is only a temporary suspension, and they hope to reintroduce some form of subsidy in 2022: https://www.heathrow.com/company/te...ransport/changes-to-heathrow-travel-subsidies
We hope to be able to reintroduce support in 2022, although the scale and scope of the support will be very much dependent upon how the airport recovers from the impacts of the pandemic.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

londonteacher

I have checked and it definitely is possible to walk to Terminal 5 so that means people can walk to Heathrow!

Snow1964

Established Member
A number of routes have been moved (Saturday 12th) between garages by RATP :
85 moved TV to FW (Tolworth to Fulwell)
116, 423 AV to HH (Hounslow to Hounslow Heath)
419 FW to AV (Fulwell to Hounslow)

Next weekend sees 293, 404, 467, 470 novated from Quality Line at EB (Epsom) to London United at TV (Tolworth)

2 weeks later sees final closure of Epsom, Quality Line (the leased site is going back to owner) with final 2 Epsom routes being novated to GoAhead (routes 413 and S1)

The 413 will operate from Merton, RATP is keeping the CitaroK and will use them on 117 from September. The S1 goes to Metrobus at Croydon (and the Metrocities move with it)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know what the pixel resolution of the interior displays used by the London iBus system is?

I could probably just find a decent photo and count the dots, but I figured someone on here was likely to know so might be worth asking first!

(Thanks very much to the moderator who moved my post above into this thread by the way, I hadn't realised it existed!)

Last edited:

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know what the pixel resolution of the interior displays used by the London iBus system is?

I could probably just find a decent photo and count the dots, but I figured someone on here was likely to know so might be worth asking first!

(Thanks very much to the moderator who moved my post above into this thread by the way, I hadn't realised it existed!)
I think it's 16x64 but don't quote me on that!

Tender results as of today, 18th June 2021:

Route 55*, retained by Stagecoach London, existing LTs to be continue to be used
Route 56, retained by Stagecoach London, existing hybrid double deckers to be used
Route 322*, awarded to Abellio London from Battersea garage (currently Go-Ahead, Stockwell) with new short wheelbase EV buses
Route 350, retained by Abellio London from a new depot in Hayes with its existing single decker Enviro 200 MMCs
Route 397, retained by HCT Group, existing Enviro 200 MMCs to continue to be used
Route 433, retained by Abellio London with new dual door single decker EV buses to be used
Route W16, retained by HCT Group, existing Enviro 200 MMCs to continue to be used

School routes
Route 667, awarded to Stagecoach London from Barking garage (currently Go-Ahead, River Road) with existing diesel double deckers
Route 677, awarded to Go-Ahead London from River Road garage (currently Stagecoach, Barking) with existing diesel double deckers

Footnotes
Routes marked with an asterisk* are to be awarded on default, new 7 year contracts regardless of performance. This will be standard practice generally so to speak from now on.

Routes 667 and 677 will change operators on the 12th March 2022, with route 322 changing on the 30th April 2022.

Route 55 will have its PVR reduced by 6 buses; the expectation is no route modifications but an overall running time and frequency reduction on all days of the week.

Source: http://www.lots.org.uk/

Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Will be interesting to see what batch of E400Hs end up at Leyton for the 56, given the current batch of hybrids (61-plate, new almost 10 years ago) are presumably too old for another contract award.

Also, is it just me, or does Stagecoach nowadays rarely bother putting in bids for single deck routes around Waltham Forest and Newham? There's a cluster of single deck routes which they lost about 10 years ago (276, 300, 325, 376) and have never looked likely to regain.

busesrusuk

Will be interesting to see what batch of E400Hs end up at Leyton for the 56, given the current batch of hybrids (61-plate, new almost 10 years ago) are presumably too old for another contract award.

Also, is it just me, or does Stagecoach nowadays rarely bother putting in bids for single deck routes around Waltham Forest and Newham? There's a cluster of single deck routes which they lost about 10 years ago (276, 300, 325, 376) and have never looked likely to regain.
Just because they don't win the tenders doesn't mean that they aren't trying. The name of the game is to retain what you already operate and to win work to grow the business. I am sure that Stagecoach management are just as upset at not winning the work just as you are at the apparent lack of interest in securing it.

They have a lot of competition in inner East London and there business model my not be to win work at any cost. No point going in with a suicidal bid to win at any cost and then spend the next five years losing money...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think it's 16x64 but don't quote me on that!

Tender results as of today, 18th June 2021:

Route 55*, retained by Stagecoach London, existing LTs to be continue to be used
Route 56, retained by Stagecoach London, existing hybrid double deckers to be used
Route 322*, awarded to Abellio London from Battersea garage (currently Go-Ahead, Stockwell) with new short wheelbase EV buses
Route 350, retained by Abellio London from a new depot in Hayes with its existing single decker Enviro 200 MMCs
Route 397, retained by HCT Group, existing Enviro 200 MMCs to continue to be used
Route 433, retained by Abellio London with new dual door single decker EV buses to be used
Route W16, retained by HCT Group, existing Enviro 200 MMCs to continue to be used

School routes
Route 667, awarded to Stagecoach London from Barking garage (currently Go-Ahead, River Road) with existing diesel double deckers
Route 677, awarded to Go-Ahead London from River Road garage (currently Stagecoach, Barking) with existing diesel double deckers

Footnotes
Routes marked with an asterisk* are to be awarded on default, new 7 year contracts regardless of performance. This will be standard practice generally so to speak from now on.

Routes 667 and 677 will change operators on the 12th March 2022, with route 322 changing on the 30th April 2022.

Route 55 will have its PVR reduced by 6 buses; the expectation is no route modifications but an overall running time and frequency reduction on all days of the week.

Source: http://www.lots.org.uk/
Strikes me, with that footnote, TfL are saying that the 322 is incapable of being operated within performance criteria, bearing in mind its operator changes hand every time it's tendered!

Timmyd

Strikes me, with that footnote, TfL are saying that the 322 is incapable of being operated within performance criteria, bearing in mind its operator changes hand every time it's tendered!
As a regular 322 user - it passes my front door - I’m sorry to see it go back to Abellio. It’s not an easy route - very narrow roads on the parts of the route through West Norwood and Gipsy Hill - but Go-Ahead have done a much better job on it than Abellio used to. My general experience of Abellio in this area is significantly lower driving and presentation standards.

busesrusuk

Unless you work for Stagecoach or maybe if you have Stagecoach shares, why would anyone care if Stagecoach win the tender or not?
Clearly some do for whatever their reasons. Perhaps "90swere better" can answer as to why it seems to bother him/her that Stagecoach haven't won the routes he/she has mentioned...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As a regular 322 user - it passes my front door - I’m sorry to see it go back to Abellio. It’s not an easy route - very narrow roads on the parts of the route through West Norwood and Gipsy Hill - but Go-Ahead have done a much better job on it than Abellio used to. My general experience of Abellio in this area is significantly lower driving and presentation standards.
That's an interesting, unbiased viewpoint. Abellio don't seem to have much incentive to make a better go of it now! How were Arriva at working it?

Timmyd

That's an interesting, unbiased viewpoint. Abellio don't seem to have much incentive to make a better go of it now! How were Arriva at working it?
When did Arriva last have it? It’s always see-sawed between Abellio and Go Ahead in recent memory. But yes was intrigued by what sounded like a decided lack of incentive!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When did Arriva last have it? It’s always see-sawed between Abellio and Go Ahead in recent memory. But yes was intrigued by what sounded like a decided lack of incentive!
They had it at the start in 1992, when it operated to Vauxhall, later extended to the Elephant, out of Norwood Garage, then Connex got it in 2000 for a few years, best forgotten! Norwood's always seemed the obvious base for it to me, given the importance of keeping the southern end served when late running occurs (as if!)

CBlue

Clearly some do for whatever their reasons. Perhaps "90swere better" can answer as to why it seems to bother him/her that Stagecoach haven't won the routes he/she has mentioned...

I recall a huge amount of fuss being made in some circles not long after Stagecoach bought East London and Selkent back from Macquarie. They proceeded to "lose" a fair few TfL contracts - of course it hadn't occurred to those making a fuss about it that other operators could have underbid them, or that the former management had previously put in unrealistically low bids to the extent they made hardly any money...

Timmyd

They had it at the start in 1992, when it operated to Vauxhall, later extended to the Elephant, out of Norwood Garage, then Connex got it in 2000 for a few years, best forgotten! Norwood's always seemed the obvious base for it to me, given the importance of keeping the southern end served when late running occurs (as if!)
Yep - I mean it must be a nightmare to operate because of the narrow windy roads and parked cars. But agree N seems a much better base. SW have done a good job on the whole and it has the friendliest (mostly Portuguese I think, unsurprising given depot location) drivers I have come across in south London despite the stresses of the areas it operates in. Agree with you that its a shame buses can’t work from the ‘obvious’ garage and surprised that with all the current concern about the environment, you get operators like Abellio running routes miles off route (eg 24, 27, 159 from QB) when there are generally depots closer to the route. But then as mentioned before I find Abellio’s operation on the 3, 68 etc very poor confirmed to Go-Ahead and Arriva Run their operations so am probably biased.

Established Member
Yep - I mean it must be a nightmare to operate because of the narrow windy roads and parked cars. But agree N seems a much better base. SW have done a good job on the whole and it has the friendliest (mostly Portuguese I think, unsurprising given depot location) drivers I have come across in south London despite the stresses of the areas it operates in. Agree with you that its a shame buses can’t work from the ‘obvious’ garage and surprised that with all the current concern about the environment, you get operators like Abellio running routes miles off route (eg 24, 27, 159 from QB) when there are generally depots closer to the route. But then as mentioned before I find Abellio’s operation on the 3, 68 etc very poor confirmed to Go-Ahead and Arriva Run their operations so am probably biased.
I've heard the 322 operates pretty decently at Stockwell from a friend who lives on the route despite the challenges it puts up with - although the buses are apparently a bit troubled and unreliable due to various gearbox issues (the batch of Enviro 200s it uses are on a more unusual, semi-automatic ZF gearbox). Performance wise, something I think that helps is that the 322 almost has an exclusive iBus controller who can firefight any issues; the controller only looks after the 322 and the *much bigger* route 5 between Canning Town and Romford Market.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've heard the 322 operates pretty decently at Stockwell from a friend who lives on the route despite the challenges it puts up with - although the buses are apparently a bit troubled and unreliable due to various gearbox issues (the batch of Enviro 200s it uses are on a more unusual, semi-automatic ZF gearbox). Performance wise, something I think that helps is that the 322 almost has an exclusive iBus controller who can firefight any issues; the controller only looks after the 322 and the *much bigger* route 5 between Canning Town and Romford Market.
Sounds a bit David and Goliath, the 322 and the 5 - must keep him/her on their toes! I wonder if the unreliability of those Enviro 200s was a primary cause for GoAhead losing the route.

busesrusuk

Sounds a bit David and Goliath, the 322 and the 5 - must keep him/her on their toes! I wonder if the unreliability of those Enviro 200s was a primary cause for GoAhead losing the route.
Unlikely given that the route has been awarded with new electric buses - more likely down to price..

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,

Not sure where you're getting the idea I'm bothered about it, I was merely casting a view that the number of single deck routes Stagecoach operate seems to have diminished greatly over the last 15 years. Peace out. ;)

busesrusuk

For those interested in vehicle movements, the first of the Optare/Switch electric Metrodeckers entered service on route 200 today from Merton garage. They are of a slightly modified design to previous batches with a more "heavy" looking front as they have tried to design in the mirrorless camera system. A (not very good - and before anyone says I shouldn't judge, I took it!) pic shows this feature here:

GAL Me3 Jun21 | Wimbledon, Jun 2021. A bit of a snapshot but… | Flickr

Elsewhere the LT class have wandered onto another new route for the class with a couple out today on the 71.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For those interested in vehicle movements, the first of the Optare/Switch electric Metrodeckers entered service on route 200 today from Merton garage. They are of a slightly modified design to previous batches with a more "heavy" looking front as they have tried to design in the mirrorless camera system. A (not very good - and before anyone says I shouldn't judge, I took it!) pic shows this feature here:

Elsewhere the LT class have wandered onto another new route for the class with a couple out today on the 71.
What did the 71 do wrong to deserve that?!

cnjb8

Established Member

That looks awful, why they couldn’t put the cameras on the side like ADL and Wright, I don’t know!
Also note, the bus is still badged as Optare

galwhv69

Nice photo. The mirrors and front panels look weird, unfortunately the front panel seems to be a new TfL requirement to hide the wiper ends I believe

stuart81

That looks awful, why they couldn’t put the cameras on the side like ADL and Wright, I don’t know!
Also note, the bus is still badged as Optare
I'm not sure even East Lancs could style something quite that ugly

Wolfie

Established Member
But, why should it be free? It also stops people who do not need to be at the airport from being at the airport.

I'm pretty sure you can also walk to T5 and then get on the free train between terminals if needed.
It was part of Heathrow's spin to be permitted to expand.

busesrusuk

What did the 71 do wrong to deserve that?!
I understand that the Scanias at Fulwell are not very well at the moment, causing a bit of a shortage. It seems that the 293 morning school journeys that utilsed two LTs no longer run, thus freeing up those two buses which today graced the 71.

Last edited by a moderator: