• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Cable Cars, Apsley and drama at Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

I travelled to London on the non-stop service from Preston (the 1550 if I should not be mistaken) on Sunday, for your convienience the 28th of October. The journey was brilliant, I ended up in First Class with my mum for a reasonable supplementary cost of £20. Shame where the First Class end of the train was at Preston station there was no roof and it was raining rather heavily at the time, but oh well.

The wi-fi wasn't that great, but it was free so I'm not exactly one to complain. The catering team came down a number of times throughout the journey and were generally nice, I got a fair share of snack boxes. The coat hangers were a nice touch as well. I shan't go into detail about how much I was annoyed at the scheduled stop outside of Stafford, I just wanted to get to London and I would have been much more fuming should I be in Standard Class.

I alighted at Euston and went straight for the Northern Line to London Bridge; the only Tube journey I needed to make that day. £6.10 in total costs was a bit ludicrous to be fair, considering the journey was standing room only and trying to sit on parts of the train that should be leant on thus falling off wasn't particularly fun. A homeless chap boarded at Angel, I had some spare coppers I could have gave him but he'd cleared off by Old Street. Then nothing really happened. Just a boring tube journey I suppose. That marked the end of day one.

The next day, I went straight for the cable car at North Greenwich. I was armed with a Z1-6 travelcard to cover Heathrow as will be seen later on. After nearly losing my travelcard due to high winds in the Greenwich area, I finally boarded the cable car, originally someone else was on board but he bailed at the last minute, as he had forgot something. I don't know what, mind.

I arrived at Royal Victoria after a lovely smooth(ish) ride and went straight to the DLR for a train to Tower Gateway. My objective was to get to Heathrow, and this was the fastest way within Travelcard limits. I then changed for a District to South Kensington after a quick walk to Tower Hill which I narrowly missed so I took the Circle Line instead. I then took the Piccadilly to Heathrow, which seemed to take forever. After arriving at Heathrow, I then went to look for the driverless pods. Well yeah, if I could find them. After seeing all the flights that Hurricane Sandy had cancelled in Terminal 5 alone, I decided it would be time for a break.

5 minutes later, I was struggling to navigate the terminal still but eventually found the lift to the pod terminal, and I got some good action shots over to car park A, then to B, then back to Terminal 5. Well worth a cross-london trip! I then went for the free shuttle to Terminals 1 2 and 3 which resulted in a hefty climb up a load of escalators and across a walkway, it seemed to take forever! I then took the Piccadilly Line from there to Leicester Square, then to Camden Town to do whatever you do there.

Upon arriving at Euston though, one Northern Line trip later, the whole place was in complete and utter chaos. Thankfully I'd come out of the wrong exit near one of the Marks & Spencers so I could actually get out! It turned out that someone had been hit by a train at Aspley and there were no staff at all on the station, bar shop workers and (I think) a G4S worker. Nobody knew what to do. I contacted London Midland and Virgin to ask them how I was supposed to get back to Preston, to no avail. Thankfully I had one last resort - National Rail Enquiries. They told me to go to King's Cross to recieve instructions from there.

One packed Victoria Line train later, I arrived at King's Cross St Pancras underground station, where things turned into a mad rush for information. I was second in the queue for information, but the Warrington chap in front took 15 minutes, he wasn't even getting help, just standing there. After I started talking behind his back though, he realised how many people were actually there and he plodded off to wait for his train. I was then told to get the Harrogate train as far as Doncaster, as was everyone else. Did we? No! There was a much less crowded Hull-bound train leaving in 5 minutes, so everyone hopped on that, a great move for everyone. Most of us would go on to board this Harrogate train at Doncaster though to get to Leeds, where we could get home from there. It saved me from standing for 2 hours!

At Leeds, I had just missed the Blackpool train which would get me back home, so I ended up waiting an hour there. I wasn't too fussed mind, just having a lack of phone battery was a pain at this point. I took the next train to Preston, and the first Preston-bound train out of Euston hadn't even arrived yet upon arrival. It was pure and utter chaos, full but not standing until Preston of course, where literally everyone got off.

I will be filing a complaint about the lack of staff and expect decent compensation for what happened. I finally got to cover the southern ECML, but in such circumstances...it just didn't feel like a success at all. Arrived over 3 hours late in the end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

As an aside, there do seem to have been an inordinate number of fatailities (euphemism for suicides, presumably) today - 3, possibly 4 on FGW and now Aspley.

VTPreston_Tez

As an aside, there do seem to have been an inordinate number of fatailities (euphemism for suicides, presumably) today - 3, possibly 4 on FGW and now Aspley.

I agree. Of course Apsley happened yesterday though, not today as I feel you are saying it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Shame where the First Class end of the train was at Preston station there was no roof and it was raining rather heavily at the time, but oh well.
Next time I recommend boarding in cattle class and walking through the train.
I alighted at Euston and went straight for the Northern Line to London Bridge; the only Tube journey I needed to make that day. £6.10 in total costs was a bit ludicrous to be fair
Next time use Oyster PAYG and it would cost £2.00 adult and £0.70 child.
considering the journey was standing room only
That's to be expected on the tube.
and trying to sit on parts of the train that should be leant on thus falling off wasn't particularly fun.
If you really need to sit down, then I suggest getting a bus or, if you must take the tube, let the first one go if there's one close behind. Look at how busy the train is and move to a part of the platform where the train is less busy.
A homeless chap boarded at Angel, I had some spare coppers I could have gave him but he'd cleared off by Old Street.
He was probably not homeless, and was begging for a living. It's quite common in London. Please do not give beggars money. If you want to help the homeless consider giving to a recognised charity directly.
The next day, I went straight for the cable car at North Greenwich. I was armed with a Z1-6 travelcard to cover Heathrow as will be seen later on.
The Z1-6 Travelcard only gets you a discount - to the same price it would be on Oyster.
After nearly losing my travelcard due to high winds in the Greenwich area,
I suggest keeping it in a wallet when in adverse weather conditions are occuring ;) Also if you use Oyster PAYG next time, then you do not have to take the card out of your wallet.
I finally boarded the cable car, originally someone else was on board but he bailed at the last minute, as he had forgot something. I don't know what, mind.
Maybe you scared him, and he made an excuse? :lol:
I arrived at Royal Victoria after a lovely smooth(ish) ride and went straight to the DLR for a train to Tower Gateway. My objective was to get to Heathrow, and this was the fastest way within Travelcard limits.
Not true. The fastest would surely be changing at Canning Town & Green Park.
I then changed for a District to South Kensington after a quick walk to Tower Hill which I narrowly missed so I took the Circle Line instead. I then took the Piccadilly to Heathrow, which seemed to take forever.
It's slow, but it would have been quicker to avoid using the District/Circle.
... then to Camden Town to do whatever you do there.
Go to Camden market presumably?
Upon arriving at Euston though, one Northern Line trip later, the whole place was in complete and utter chaos. Thankfully I'd come out of the wrong exit near one of the Marks & Spencers so I could actually get out! It turned out that someone had been hit by a train at Aspley
Not quite. You got it right in the title - it was Apsley. Not to be confused with Aspley Guise (which is on the Bletchley-Bedford line)
and there were no staff at all on the station, bar shop workers and (I think) a G4S worker.
I find this very difficult to believe.
Nobody knew what to do. I contacted London Midland and Virgin to ask them how I was supposed to get back to Preston, to no avail. Thankfully I had one last resort - National Rail Enquiries. They told me to go to King's Cross to recieve instructions from there.
You'd have been better off posting on this forum ;)
One packed Victoria Line train later, I arrived at King's Cross St Pancras underground station, where things turned into a mad rush for information. I was second in the queue for information, but the Warrington chap in front took 15 minutes, he wasn't even getting help, just standing there.
I find it very difficult to believe that someone stood at the head of a help queue for 15 minutes and simply stood there and prevented people behind getting help.
After I started talking behind his back though, he realised how many people were actually there and he plodded off to wait for his train.
I was then told to get the Harrogate train as far as Doncaster, as was everyone else. Did we? No! There was a much less crowded Hull-bound train leaving in 5 minutes, so everyone hopped on that, a great move for everyone. Most of us would go on to board this Harrogate train at Doncaster though to get to Leeds, where we could get home from there. It saved me from standing for 2 hours!
That sounds sensible. Hardly anyone wants to go to 'ull (and who can blame them? ;)) so those trains have plenty of spare capacity. (Sorry Max!)
At Leeds, I had just missed the Blackpool train which would get me back home, so I ended up waiting an hour there.
Are you sure this was the best move? I'd have thought you would have been better off going Kings Cross - Doncaster - Manchester - Preston.

As for the hour wait for a train to Preston, it would usually be quicker to go via Manchester if you just miss a train to Preston. But without knowing the exact time it is difficult to comment.
I will be filing a complaint about the lack of staff and expect decent compensation for what happened.
The NRCoC does not oblige Virgin to compensate you for a delay due to a suicide incident, however Virgin do go beyond the minimum standards laid out in the NRCoC and for a delay of 2 hours or greater, they will send you National Rail vouchers to the full value of your London to Preston single ticket (or, if you held an Off Peak Return ticket, then half the cost of the Return, ie full compensation of the affected portion).

VTPreston_Tez

Next time I recommend boarding in cattle class and walking through the train.

Good idea.

Next time use Oyster PAYG and it would cost £2.00 adult and £0.70 child.

Again, good idea.

That's to be expected on the tube.

I expected it.

If you really need to sit down, then I suggest getting a bus or, if you must take the tube, let the first one go if there's one close behind. Look at how busy the train is and move to a part of the platform where the train is less busy.

I tend to do that. Just wanted to get to my destination, wasn't majorly fussed :P

He was probably not homeless, and was begging for a living. It's quite common in London. Please do not give beggars money. If you want to help the homeless consider giving to a recognised charity directly.

I didn't give him any money in the end.

The Z1-6 Travelcard only gets you a discount - to the same price it would be on Oyster.

Yep.

I suggest keeping it in a wallet when in adverse weather conditions are occuring ;) Also if you use Oyster PAYG next time, then you do not have to take the card out of your wallet.

I wish I was so prepared!

Maybe you scared him, and he made an excuse? :lol:

:lol:

Not true. The fastest would surely be changing at Canning Town & Green Park.

Oh yeah. That. Well actually, at least I avoided Green Park which was a good move at the time.

It's slow, but it would have been quicker to avoid using the District/Circle.

I suppose.

Go to Camden market presumably?

Yup.

Not quite. You got it right in the title - it was Apsley. Not to be confused with Aspley Guise (which is on the Bletchley-Bedford line)

I think we all knew what I was on about.

I find this very difficult to believe.

So did I. Oh well, London Midland were made aware at least.

You'd have been better off posting on this forum ;)

Not when you're on moderation!

I find it very difficult to believe that someone stood at the head of a help queue for 15 minutes and simply stood there and prevented people behind getting help.

Hmm. Maybe I should have eavesdropped a little bit more to find out what was going on.

That sounds sensible. Hardly anyone wants to go to 'ull (and who can blame them? ;)) so those trains have plenty of spare capacity. (Sorry Max!)

:D

Are you sure this was the best move? I'd have thought you would have been better off going Kings Cross - Doncaster - Manchester - Preston.

Everything was diverted to Victoria. So of course I'd have to make a cross-Manchester tram journey and due to the blockade at Stalybridge things could possibly not work. Besides the trains were rammed.

As for the hour wait for a train to Preston, it would usually be quicker to go via Manchester if you just miss a train to Preston. But without knowing the exact time it is difficult to comment.

See above.

The NRCoC does not oblige Virgin to compensate you for a delay due to a suicide incident, however Virgin do go beyond the minimum standards laid out in the NRCoC and for a delay of 2 hours or greater, they will send you National Rail vouchers to the full value of your London to Preston single ticket (or, if you held an Off Peak Return ticket, then half the cost of the Return, ie full compensation of the affected portion).

Phew. That's a relief.

Comments in bold.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Surely you could have got the hourly xx22 off Man Vic to Preston and saved yourself the tram (though in some cases walking is quicker!) trip across Manchester. Granted it's an all stations service but I like yorkie would recommend going via Manchester.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
A homeless chap boarded at Angel, I had some spare coppers I could have gave him but he'd cleared off by Old Street.

Never give beggars money. As a recent Panorama programme showed, half them don't need to be beggars in the first place. The other half will simply use it to fund a drug or alcohol habit. If you have change give it to a charity for homeless people.

VTPreston_Tez

Surely you could have got the hourly xx22 off Man Vic to Preston and saved yourself the tram (though in some cases walking is quicker!) trip across Manchester. Granted it's an all stations service but I like yorkie would recommend going via Manchester.

Not at 8 o'clock at night! I don't think there was anything out of Manchester towards Preston, we were told countless times by East Coast staff to stay at Leeds to avoid the crush and because it was 'faster'.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not at 8 o'clock at night!

From Manchester Victoria after 2000 on a Monday the following services operate to Preston: 2022, 2122, 2222 and 2323. Plenty there, plus Salford Crescent / Bolton is only a change away for even more services!

Tubeboy

The beggar on the City Branch of the Northern line is a regular, I see him fairly regularly, never agressive, but irrititating. My only problem with him is begging off people in a confined space and they cant escape....maybe thats the intention.

VTPreston_Tez

From Manchester Victoria after 2000 on a Monday the following services operate to Preston: 2022, 2122, 2222 and 2323. Plenty there, plus Salford Crescent / Bolton is only a change away for even more services!

Still. Rather a 158 than a 185/156/150/142.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The beggar on the City Branch of the Northern line is a regular, I see him fairly regularly, never agressive, but irrititating. My only problem with him is begging off people in a confined space and they cant escape....maybe thats the intention.
If it's regular, have you ever thought of reporting the behaviour to the British Transport Police or Crimestoppers? They may well be well known, but more reports will assist them build up a pattern.

BTP : 0800 40 50 40
Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111

TP

All Line Rover

Established Member

Is he often found at Old Street, by any chance? The layout of the tube station makes it a haven for beggars and I would find it intimidating to visit that station after dark.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Never give beggars money. As a recent Panorama programme showed, half them don't need to be beggars in the first place. The other half will simply use it to fund a drug or alcohol habit. If you have change give it to a charity for homeless people.

The vast majority of London beggars are nothing of the sort.

The worst are the Romanian pick-pocket/thief/beggar children who are employed by many very well known wealthy Romanian organisers who drive around in BMW's.

Tubeboy

Is he often found at Old Street, by any chance? The layout of the tube station makes it a haven for beggars and I would find it intimidating to visit that station after dark.

Yes, he travels between King's Cross and London Bridge, but also joins/alights
At intermediate stations sometimes. I could report him, but like I said he is fairly amiable, he doesn't threaten or be rude to anyone, and crucially I see him at different times of the day, so it's hard to pin him to a precise time.

As for Old Street, it was the first station I worked at when I joined LU. I hated working there, from the people who travelled to/from there, obnoxious suits during the day, aggressive drunks at night. Back in 2003 when I worked there, the place was a haven for drunks/beggars/homeless people. You would get arguments and even fisticuffs in the ticket hall, although it was mainly confined to the subterranean passages under Old St roundabout. The staffing levels were increased a fair bit after I left. Lone working on the gateline there wasn't very nice, it's a busy station, and the interesting clientele certainly livens it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.