• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Depot commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Hi
Out of interest those Drivers who live in London can you commute via the tube or night bus for all shifts? As far as I know most of the tube is not 24/7. I'd imagine changing into civvies is desirable on certain rowdy nights.

Obviously I'm aware many live outside London. I did here of someone commuting from Emsworth Hants to Paddington and sleeping overnight there! However I'm more interested in those living within Greater London. Do you have little problem finding a way to and from work at crazy o'clock without a car ? I can't imagine a need for a car in London and it's expensive enough without the extra cost

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Most people will drive, dependent on parking availability at the local depot which can be at a premium. On a driver wage, running a car occasionally is probably not that expensive and many will probably find a need for one with a family anyway. Some TOCs run night services which are practically half loaded with crew! And depending on your start time, you might just have to wait around for 1-2 hours at the home depot.

Otherwise yes its a trusty night bus. I've done this a few times myself (whilst not a driver, occasionally I've had to be in earlier than a normal shift) and the night bus I've found really isn't as bad as some claim, especially if you're doing the reverse journey (going into London).

Established Member
Hi
Out of interest those Drivers who live in London can you commute via the tube or night bus for all shifts? As far as I know most of the tube is not 24/7. I'd imagine changing into civvies is desirable on certain rowdy nights.

Obviously I'm aware many live outside London. I did here of someone commuting from Emsworth Hants to Paddington and sleeping overnight there! However I'm more interested in those living within Greater London. Do you have little problem finding a way to and from work at crazy o'clock without a car ? I can't imagine a need for a car in London and it's expensive enough without the extra cost

I’m in London. I’d say forget night buses (slow, unreliable and unpleasant), and the tube isn’t 24 hour (even when night tube was running it was only weekends, and only a few lines). I make do with driving in or getting an Uber for those shifts I can’t access by public transport. Thankfully free parking is provided, albeit very few drive into work.

There are some crazy long commutes at my place. In fact the vast majority of our London based drivers live outside London!

Based on your posting history I think you might be going to somewhere with a taxi agreement… if so it’s worth its weight in gold.

387star

On Moderation
I’m in London. I’d say forget night buses (slow, unreliable and unpleasant), and the tube isn’t 24 hour (even when night tube was running it was only weekends, and only a few lines). I make do with driving in or getting an Uber for those shifts I can’t access by public transport. Thankfully free parking is provided, albeit very few drive into work.

There are some crazy long commutes at my place. In fact the vast majority of our London based drivers live outside London!

Based on your posting history I think you might be going to somewhere with a taxi agreement… if so it’s worth its weight in gold.
You must pay various charges to drive to a central depot... congestion charge I think?

Established Member
You must pay various charges to drive to a central depot... congestion charge I think?

Again, depends on depot. Ours is just outside the c charge zone and it can be avoided. As noted it doesn’t apply until 0700 so shouldn’t affect you driving in for an early.

Unfortunately, as you’ve said, it will apply for the drive home, so it might make the journey longer to avoid it, even if you’re outside the zone. Obviously this depends on which direction you are going.

ULEZ will apply within the north/south circular roads from October but only to certain vehicles.

tlionhart

You can also park on a single yellow line after 6:30. Some drivers cycle to work. Although most that I know still drive. The commute at the end (on early) or commute at the start can take those living in a London Borough longer to travel than someone who lives in a home county.

Drivers also like to do swaps. They will either do perm earlies (to beat the rush) but will additionally swap single shifts so they can get to work/go home.

Other than that it’s straight forward…Taxi service apps such as Uber, lyft, etc (there’s one that searches the cheapest, but I’ve forgot it’s name)

Depots such as Paddington, Euston and I think KX are outside the Congestion zone but inside the ULEZ.

With my depot most people don’t actually live in London but in the Home Counties. They use either the Tocs night service which is 60% staff or they drive.

Scooter or motorbike is another popular way.

Others put up with the night bus. Another option is some depots sheds are outside the terminus station. If a driver Finishes their turn there, they either; walk home, bus it, on their break drop their car off there, ask the taxi driver to make a detour (approved with resources). To finish a late turn there, drivers would swap or do a favour and cover someone’s last bit as it’s a win-win for both drivers.

Another option is finishing a turn that’s not the Home Depot. I will make this bit up to make an example:
The driver lives near Clapham but is based in Wimbledon or Waterloo. The last bit of the job is to stable a set there or relieved by another driver At Clapham jnc. Then PAO to their Home Depot to finish. The driver would skip that part and make their way home. (Similar to the above)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.