• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Didcot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

There's an interesting post on Trip Advisor stating that a London terminals - Didcot Parkway off peak day return is valid Waterloo - Salisbury - Bath - Didcot.

Sounds a bit unlikely but is there any truth in it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It appears valid to me on maps WX+BL, unless there are any easements preventing this route.

I can't get WebTIS to show me such a route though

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I recall looking this up a while back. It does indeed seems to be valid but you would have to work hard to justify yourself if checked en-route, and can likely expect a TIR and a new easement to appear in the next update.

Flamingo

Established Member
You could expect to have to do a lot of convincing to the guards on the Bath-Didcot train, I can tell you that for nothing. I'd advise you to bring all the relevant paperwork with you to back up your claim.

34D

Established Member
You could expect to have to do a lot of convincing to the guards on the Bath-Didcot train, I can tell you that for nothing. I'd advise you to bring all the relevant paperwork with you to back up your claim.

Do you agree its valid, Mr Pink One?

Can any member find an itinery on any of the obscure websites?

soil

Established Member

That would depend what route you were actually travelling.

AFAICT, a London Terminals - Didcot Parkway ticket (£22.50 CDR) would be useful for:

Waterloo - Salisbury (stations beyond Basingstoke) £34.80 CDR

Salisbury - Swindon (£27.50 CDR 'via Trowbridge')

Salisbury - Didcot Parkway (£26 CDR)

Woking - Bath Spa (£33.40 CDR route Warminster-Salisbury)

Obviously nobody would actually use it to travel to Didcot from London by that route.

You could also use it e.g. instead of a London - Bath Spa Warminster-Salisbury CDR (£37.60), £22.50 being fairly compelling compared with the £51.50 for the Any Permitted SSR London - Bath Spa or £40ish splitting at DID, but obviously you wouldn't be able to take the fast train from Paddington...

The biggest straightforward (in that it is on the fastest route) saving is Waterloo - Salisbury, and would involve probably one ticket check, on SWT - you wouldn't go near Bath....

Last edited:

cjohnson

Not for London-Didcot. But East Coast and others will provide an itinerary from Kensington Olympia to Didcot via Bath Spa route +Any Permitted which would then presumably get you to/from your desired London Terminal via the tube (£24.50 CDR).

Flamingo

Established Member
Do you agree its valid, Mr Pink One?

No idea, I've never seen anybody using one or heard of it as a valid route until today, and I would view it with suspicion if presented with it without something to back it up.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I found this out over two years ago when I wanted to travel to Basingstoke on a London to Didcot ticket: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35563

I had no problems using it, but had to explain to the barrier staff. I did not use it past Amazingstoke where I finished short.

Status
Not open for further replies.