• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-Dover/Calais - Period return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi All,

Tomorrow I'm going to France by ferry from Dover, coming back later in the week. So, two questions:

1) Why is there no standard open return available - is this the norm for all of the Network area? The only period return is a Saver - any chance I could use this and have the outward part excessed?

2) Avantix shows a London-Calais unrestricted day return (!) at £25; is this a real ticket? Can't find it on the NR site.

Thanks!

edit: I need to be there by 10.00, hence the need for a peak ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
1) Why is there no standard open return available - is this the norm for all of the Network area?
It quite usual. The reason is probably fraud prevention.
The only period return is a Saver - any chance I could use this and have the outward part excessed?
You wouldn't save any money by doing this. If you ask for an Anytime Return when none exists, you'll be asked to nominate the return date and issued with two Day Singles.
Avantix shows a London-Calais unrestricted day return (!) at £25; is this a real ticket?
Yes. You may find it cheaper to buy two of these tickets, one dated for each of your outward and return journeys.
Can't find it on the NR site.
I don't know why that is. It may be something to do with the need to reserve on ships. I would book in advance if aiming to use this ticket.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks, I'll just get a single out then. Seems rather unfair that it costs twice as much to return on a different day when a day return is only £1.10 more than the single. Oh well...

Interesting about the Calais tickets - I might give that a go next time I do the crossing - without a railcard it's £5 cheaper than just to dover :| I wonder if you'd actually have time to do anything once over there, since it's a day return!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd watch out re: buying two day returns- the Dover-Calais ferry operators often have T&Cs on cheap returns that the outward portion MUST be used first for the return portion to be valid- this way, they can run offers JUST for passenmgers starting in the UK or in France. Read the fine print. Carefully. It'll be a very expensive mistake if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.