• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Dublin via Holyhead Overnight - What's it Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
Am considering doing this journey, mostly for the hell of it. I've had worse than a 2:30 ferry before, but the one bit that bothers me is... The wait time in Holyhead. Looking at the port website, the ferries seem to be available for boarding around 0:30, meaning a nasty hour and a half wait in the dead of night.

Or is it better to connect with the later ATW service that gets in after midnight? Can I even book this connection on SailRail?

Any thoughts or experiences would be very welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
I've done it a number of times, although by car or coach rather than train.
There's a departure lounge outside the station which is staffed, toilets and a cafe in there, and there's always plenty of other people around. Never had a problem.
Find a decent sofa when you get on the ferry if you want a bit of kip!

embers25

Established Member
Actually the ferries normally start boarding for foot passengers around 1 hour before at most. Holyhead does have seats to wait in but they get full quickly. the Arriva train gives a less wait but it is pretty "lively" from Chester to Bangor!

bkhtele

Agree with EM2 facilities are not bad at Holyhead it does seem quite safe, if you want a coffee be careful to buy before the cafe closes, which was about 1/2 before boarding commences last time I travelled. I prefer the Ulysses Irish Ferry ship if you go Stena suggest Stena plus is a waste of money on thisi route unless ship is noisy.

The_Rail_WAy

I have'nt done the rail and sail to Ireland but I have done the Holland one and really enjoyed the experience.

Having that bit of extra time on the ferry is'nt such a bad thing the vessels operating that route are modern and well equipped and you won't be bored.

Hope you enjoy your trip :)

This my 400th post so I would like to say a big thankyou to all the members of Railforums.co.uk - I have made some great posts and been involved in some great threads and could'nt have done it without you all, so once again "Thankyou."

junglejames

Established Member
Agree with EM2 facilities are not bad at Holyhead it does seem quite safe, if you want a coffee be careful to buy before the cafe closes, which was about 1/2 before boarding commences last time I travelled. I prefer the Ulysses Irish Ferry ship if you go Stena suggest Stena plus is a waste of money on thisi route unless ship is noisy.

Stena Plus isnt a waste of money. Free tea/ coffee/ hot chocolate/ water/ wine/ biscuits/ cakes.
More comfortable seats and quiter.
This sailing should be the Adventurer. Admittedly she has loads of areas to sit and sleep. The large quiet area that used to be the restaurant is good for this. Same deck as the info desk, fwd part of the vessel.
The Ulysses, last time i sailed on her, was devoid of any decent places to sit aside from what is now the Club Class lounge. Something the Adventurer doesnt suffer from.
Adventurer is probably the best ship on the Irish Sea, alng with Stena's Superfast twins up on the North Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.