• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Euston to St. Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

odol

Hi all
Just planing my journey from Pitlochry (Scotland) to Warsaw (Poland). Will use the db offer - London Germany Spezial. Have one question about my change in London.
My sleeper train coming to London Euston at 7.47 am and my Eurostar train from St. Pancras leaves at 8.27 am. Can you tell me is that planty of time for a change? Any advise how to do this (walk, taxi, tube)? If its no chance to do this then maybe I will find some other transport to London to get that train (have no ticket yet from Pitlochry to London so its no problem to change my mind).

BTW
If I have any more questions about this journey I will ask in this thread, can I?

Thanx in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Walking time is approx 7 mins.

From concourse at Euston, exit to the left - past the WH Smiths / M&S shops.

Walk along forecourt and descend steps into Eversholt St. Cross road and turn right. Walk past Royal George (which will now be on your left) to the traffic lights at the Jct of Eversholt St and Euston road.

Turn left along Euston Rd, and walk for approx 5 mins to St Pancras, which will be ahead on the left hand side.

If you have a lot of luggage, a taxi may be as cheap as taking the Underground.

Personally I find it takes twice as long to go on the Underground, so avoid if you can.

The area is safe at night as well so no worries on that score

djh1986

Agree with OT on this one, if the weather is ok and if you don't have much luggage, walking is definitely the way.

If not, a taxi is best.

Underground will be awful at that time of the morning too, avoid at all costs!

EM2

Established Member
It is much quicker to walk, it should take no more than ten minutes.
However, Eurostar check-in closes thirty minutes before departure, so that will leave very little time.
When you leave the main entrance at Euston, go straight out onto the main road (Euston Road).
Turn left and walk down. You come to a big modern building made of red bricks on your left. This is the British Library.
Next to this is an *old* building made of red bricks, this is St Pancras.
Take the road that runs down between the two. About halfway down, there is an entrance into St Pancras on your right (near the traffic lights). Go in here, turn right and go straight for about 100m. Eurostar check-in is on your left.

Green Lane

Agree with all of the above, I found it very convenient just to simply walk from Euston to St Pancras.

But, personally I think your timings are very tight.

It's not so much walking between the stations that's the problem, rather getting off the train and out of Euston station.

I usually find that when I'm in a hurry, people will block me off, walking slowly up the ramps, so I have to patiently walk at the slower pace of everyone in front of me. Plus of course you have to get out of the train first too.

It'll typically take me several minutes between the train pulling in at the station and actually getting outside the station onto the street.

Trains can often arrive just a few minutes late too e.g. the train I last got into Euston a couple of weeks back arrived four minutes late IIRC.

If the Eurostar check-in really does close at 07:57 (half an hour before departure), then that's only ten minutes after the arrival of your train into Euston at 07:47 assuming it is on time.

I'm not saying it's not do-able, but personally I'd like an extra half hour for the change over minimum so I could relax a little, take the stress off. I could also go to the toilet, get a drink etc...

djh1986

I'm not saying it will but the half an hour last check in for Eurostar is a little bit of insurance on their part, I've done it with twenty minutes when stuck on the Northern Line before.

I think they allow half an hour for the security/passports which depending on if there are other trains leaving shortly after yours, is way out and realistically would take ten mins in my experience.

I'd certainly be taking a cab and making sure you have your Eurostar ticket ready for the automatic barriers at St P.

caliwag

At that time of the day, it surely is quicker to walk...OK unless it's chuckin' down...off the train t St P concourse, less than 10 mins. but surely you can be up and out of the sleeper pronto, way before the official arrival!
St P is great for grabbing a breakfast, so get outa Euston as soon as possible!

StoneRoad

Agreed - Walking is prob quickest, (EM2 - I like your route, sounds better than mine!)
Hint - when getting off the sleeper - try going towards the front of the train to reduce your walk to the ramps!
and have all your papework ready for the ticket barriers. ditto the metalwork for the security checks, in case the timing gets tight.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your trip.

In my experience the sleeper into London is pretty much always early, we have been close to 30 early on one trip! But don't count on it with having a short amount of time from arrival and close of check in on the Eurostar.

rail-britain

Established Member
In my experience the sleeper into London is pretty much always early, we have been close to 30 early on one trip! But don't count on it with having a short amount of time from arrival and close of check in on the Eurostar
I agree, in general the sleepers southbound are generally very good at time keeping
From memory they stop at Rugby, so if late this can be made up quite often

Sadly the time I made a journey from Inverness the sleeper was over an hour late

However 10 minutes to get from Euston to St Pancras is not really sufficient, especially if you are not familiar with the walking route
I would suggest printing out a street map of the route

In general for journeys between Euston and St Pancras / Kings Cross I allow at least 30 minutes
I making such a journey a few weeks and am allowing 60 minutes

Railjet

Hi all
Just planing my journey from Pitlochry (Scotland) to Warsaw (Poland). Will use the db offer - London Germany Spezial. Have one question about my change in London.
My sleeper train coming to London Euston at 7.47 am and my Eurostar train from St. Pancras leaves at 8.27 am. Can you tell me is that planty of time for a change? Any advise how to do this (walk, taxi, tube)? If its no chance to do this then maybe I will find some other transport to London to get that train (have no ticket yet from Pitlochry to London so its no problem to change my mind).

Your timings are very tight. I'm not one for building bags of time into schedules, but if arriving at Euston and transferring to Eurostar at St P, I always allow about 90 minutes to cover for delays.

If you are connecting at Cologne on to the EuroNight to Warsaw, why don't you book on a later Eurostar from London? The 18:25 ICE from Brussels connects perfectly with the EN.

The Snap

Established Member
In general for journeys between Euston and St Pancras / Kings Cross I allow at least 30 minutes
I making such a journey a few weeks and am allowing 60 minutes

60 minutes to walk less than half a mile??

williamn

It's tight, but not impossible. Eurostar Checkin doesn't actually close 30 mins before, despite what they say - I have done it ten mins before, though that was pretty stressful! If your train arrives into Euston on time you should be ok, but if it's late...

rail-britain

Established Member
60 minutes to walk less than half a mile??
No, I can walk it in under 10 minutes
However for connections I normally allow 10 minutes
On this occasion I am allowing 60 minutes to give me extra time to visit both St Pancras and then Kings Cross

I want to take some photos of both stations and visit the First Class Lounges at all three stations

odol

Thanks for all your posts, its so helpfull.
Becouse I think its not much time for change (I'll be with my wife, lagguage and that'll be my first time in that area) so better dont risk. Can you tell me is that possible to change from Victoria Coach Station with no bother?
I find a bus from Perth to London, arrive to Victorica Coach Station is 7.05 am. Never used that service before, so can anybody tell me its that coming on time or no? Also how much time I need to get St. Pancras station?
The 8.27 Eurostar is only one connection were tickets are 49 euros each, so I dont want to pay over 300 euros for the part of the trip ;) If its not possible I will come to London day before and try to find some B and B for one night (maybe anybody knows some good, cheap place?)
Thanks in advance.

route101

Established Member
that will be the 590 national express from inverness , more often than not the coach services have been early but thats my experience of going northbound to glasgow .

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As long as you can afford to get a later train from St Pancras, I say go for it as you'll probably make it.

But if you have a ticket specifically for the 08:27 then it is not worth the risk - I am sure that won't be a valid connection and you'll then need to buy a new ticket.

You should establish the minimum connection time and buy a ticket to London International if you want to guarantee carriage on a later train.

While a combination of tickets is perfectly acceptable for one journey, this is dependent on sufficient interchange time being allowed (including the check-in time on Eurostar services) and in the case of connecting into Eurostar services the ticket to London should be to London International (CIV) rather than London Terminals.

I've been on a sleeper that was 2 hours (ish) late into Euston once - be prepared for that.

odol

I really want to get later eurostar to Bruxelles but next ones are more expensive so this is why I choiced the 8.27 service (is London - Germany Spezial and is not big choice of the connections in this price).
If its not possible to get that from Caledonian Sleeper or night bus (megabus from Inverness) I would to come day before and stay one night in the hotel.
Like I asked above:
Any advice about changing from Victoria to St Pancras?
Any good cheap hotel/hostel/Bed and Breakfast close to St. Pancras.

Now is one more ask ;)
Anybody knows some good hotel/hostel/bed and breakfast in Berlin? Close to Hbf station or with easy connection to main station

MCR247

Established Member
Try and board the 4th coach on the Victoria to alight near the exit :)

Flying Snail

Established Member
What might be a better option is to get the Edinburgh-London sleeper with a connection from Pitlochry.

20.29 from Pitlochry gets to Edinburgh at 22.19
Sleeper boards from 23.00, departs Edinburgh at 23.40, arrives into Euston at 06.40.

odol

Thats sounds good. Can you tell me where can I check the price and buy the tickets? Is that FirstScotRail service and everything on FSR webpage? Is that service has any special offers like e.g. Caledonian Sleeper bargian beds from 19 or bargian seat from 33 pounds?

Thats sounds good. Can you tell me where can I check the price and buy the tickets? Is that FirstScotRail service and everything on FSR webpage? Is that service has any special offers like e.g. Caledonian Sleeper bargian beds from 19 or bargian seat from 33 pounds?

You can find all you need about the sleeper here http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

The Bargain Berth page is here http://www.travelpass.buytickets.scotrail.co.uk/BargainBerths/Default.aspx and after a quick look there are plenty of bargain berths available between Edinburgh and London Euston throughout October and into the second week of November, with a few dates still available in September. In my experience you will be very very lucky to get a bargain berth at £19, or indeed £29, in fact I have only every seen a £19 berth once and we always check out bargain berths 3 months in advance of when we travel to maximise our chances of getting them cheap! Looking for the coming 3 months there is nothing available in August and a high percentage of the berths available up to mid November are £39 or £49. Still worth it but do check the normal tickets route on the ScotRail website as they do have advanced fairs available to.

Looking at Thursday the 30th September (because I am not sure when you plan to travel) the single prices for the sleeper between Edinburgh and London Euston are.....

Seated Sleeper single £77.00
Standard Sleeper single £125.00
First Class Sleeper single £166.00

The connection from Pitlochry to Edinburgh would cost.....

Advanced single £9.50
Off-Peak Day single £18.00
Anytime Day single £25.20
First Anytime Day single £34.70 (I Wouldn't recommend Scotrail's first class service though, apart from the sleeper)

Hope this is of some help, You will find more accurate information yourself as you have your travel dates so you can check for exact prices.

CSK

Railjet

If you give your travel dates, I'm sure some of the experts on this board will be able to help you with specifics.

odol

Thanx everyone.
My travel date is 9/11/2010 from St Pancras so I need to leave Scotland day before. Could be some days after couse I didnt buy the London - Germany Spezial ticket yet. Will do this tonight but 49 euros tickets are only for Tuesday 9/11/2010 so that'll be probably this day.

Railjet

From what you said earlier, I guess you want to get the €49 London-Spezial ticket to Berlin, stay overnight in Berlin, and then onward to Warsaw the following day with another ticket (€29 on the 06:10 EC 41?).

Here is another alternative on 9 Nov:

London St P 14:34
Brussels Midi 17:33

Brussels Midi 18:25
Cologne Hbf 20:15

Available for €49. Then:

Cologne Hbf 22:28
Warsaw Cen 10:05 (10 Nov)

Available for €29 seat, €49 couchette.

odol

Thank you so much @Railjet. I did check connections only from London straight to Berlin and didnt realized it can be the other way ;). Bought the tickets allready for journey like you posted but for two days later, for 11/11/2010. One more huge thanks.
So now I need only cheap tickets for sleeper to London Euston and that'll be whole trip covered by tickets.
I choiced "ticket per mail", did anybody used this option before? How long approximately its the waiting time for the letter with tickets? I think that'll be 2 letters couse I did two separated transaction (one London - Koln, and one Koln - Warsaw) right?

Railjet

I choiced "ticket per mail", did anybody used this option before? How long approximately its the waiting time for the letter with tickets? I think that'll be 2 letters couse I did two separated transaction (one London - Koln, and one Koln - Warsaw) right?

Yes, DB is very efficient at sending tickets by mail internationally. You should get the tickets within a week. Since it's all automated, I guess two separate transactions will be two letters.

MCR247

Established Member
Well getting the 2340 Sleeper from Edinburgh - Euston 0650 is £77 sharing with someone in Standard or £166 on your own in first. And getting the 2029 Pitlochry to Edinburgh 2219 costs £9.50 advance standard. First isn't worth it.

So
£86.50 Standard class sleeper inc PIT - EDB
£175.50 for first class sleeper inc PIT - EDB

Hope that helps :)

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks for all your posts, its so helpfull.
Becouse I think its not much time for change (I'll be with my wife, lagguage and that'll be my first time in that area) so better dont risk. Can you tell me is that possible to change from Victoria Coach Station with no bother?
I find a bus from Perth to London, arrive to Victorica Coach Station is 7.05 am. Never used that service before, so can anybody tell me its that coming on time or no? Also how much time I need to get St. Pancras station?
The 8.27 Eurostar is only one connection were tickets are 49 euros each, so I dont want to pay over 300 euros for the part of the trip ;) If its not possible I will come to London day before and try to find some B and B for one night (maybe anybody knows some good, cheap place?)
Thanks in advance.

If you still want to go by coach the National Express ones from Scotland also set down at Golders Green Tube station.

The NX588 overnight service from Perth is scheduled to call there at 6.15 am,
It is about 15 mins by direct tube from there to ST Pancras.
You'd probably be at Eurostar departures around 6.45 before the bus is scheduled to arrive in Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.