• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Could anybody provide any hints on how to get from London Kings Cross to London Gatwick and back cheaply sometime in April / May?

I refuse flat out to pay 40 odd quid to do so when my return trip from Yorkshire to London only costs just over half that!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You can now use Oyster to get to and from Gatwick Airport. I reckon that could be cheaper than buying a paper ticket. I haven't done it myself yet.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you're using Oyster PAYG it'll be cheaper to split the journey at East Croydon (tap out, tap in). Whether Oyster would successfully treat it as two separate journeys is a different matter

johntea

Established Member
If I can't do it any cheaper than £15 return looks like the coach might be the best way as I'm not in any particular rush staying over the evening before and obviously then no rush back on the return as I can schedule around my advance train booking quite easily

richw

Veteran Member
The train is very expensive anywhere London to Gatwick (or anywhere in the country I've found) from experience. Coach is cheapest option normally but takes around 3 times as long.

talldave

Established Member
For paper tickets, there are a number of NOT UNDERGROUND tickets you can use on Thameslink (St Pancreas to Gatwick), which is fractionally faster than hitching a lift with a snail. Day/time of travel will determine how cheap you can get and a railcard helps!

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An Anytime Return from St Pancras to Gatwick Airport route:not underground is £19.50.

If the OP has a railcard then this will be cheaper.

Panda

If you're using Oyster PAYG it'll be cheaper to split the journey at East Croydon (tap out, tap in). Whether Oyster would successfully treat it as two separate journeys is a different matter
If you have a contactless card (or two), forcing the split would be simpler if you use one for one journey (up to tapping out at East Croydon) and then another for the new journey (tapping back in at East Croydon and then out at Gatwick).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

It will be two journeys using Oyster or contactless. The only issue would be if there was an EOSI set at East Croydon at the time, but in this rare instance the helpdesk will refund the overcharge.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The train is very expensive anywhere London to Gatwick (or anywhere in the country I've found) from experience. Coach is cheapest option normally but takes around 3 times as long.

I think the train between London and Gatwick (provided you buy the correct ticket) is exceptionally good value.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think the train between London and Gatwick (provided you buy the correct ticket) is exceptionally good value.
Agreed, and journey time from St Pancras is actually quite competitive with other options that include using the underground.

johntea

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips, I knew there would be a cheaper way than 40 odd quid! St Pancras seems the most logical solution and even means I don't have to cart my luggage on the Underground so a win all round there :D

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
One of the good things about Gatwick is that there are direct trains from a range of London stations.

johntea

Established Member
I stunned myself by managing to book a Travelodge near the airport for £35! :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
I stunned myself by managing to book a Travelodge near the airport for £35! :lol:

I stayed at said Travelodge in October. The room I was in was recently refurbished, and surprised myself paying less than you have on that night.
It is a bus ride from the airport. £3 each way from memory.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's not a bad price at all. Travelodge rates are very fluid and fluctuate quickly.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get Premier Inns at Gatwick for £39 or £35, which are vastly superior than Travelodge.

I have stayed at the Travelodge before. It is walkable, but it will take a while.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I agree, Premier Inn's are a cut above Travelodge, and I would always choose the former if they were similarly priced. Travelodges are fine for a night or two.

richw

Veteran Member
Refurbished Travelodges are in my opinion on par with Premier Inn.

Travelodge have upped their game

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Refurbished Travelodges are in my opinion on par with Premier Inn.

Travelodge have upped their game

True. I'll happily stay at a new or refurbished Travelodge, but only at an older on on a personal recommendation or extremely good Tripadvisor reviews.

richw

Veteran Member
True. I'll happily stay at a new or refurbished Travelodge, but only at an older on on a personal recommendation or extremely good Tripadvisor reviews.

That's my approach. The old ones are generally awful.

Clip

Established Member
Ive noticed that the Premier Inn are now selling the beds they use. Think I may get one

bnm

Established Member
I stayed at said Travelodge in October. The room I was in was recently refurbished, and surprised myself paying less than you have on that night.
It is a bus ride from the airport. £3 each way from memory.

Yep. The hotel shuttle buses are £3 each way. That's what I paid last month when I stayed at the (excellent) Travelodge Gatwick Central. It's always worth factoring in that additional £6 when pricing up rooms. Some hotels are near local bus stops served by Metrobus from Gatwick where single fares can be had for £1.60.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Yep. The hotel shuttle buses are £3 each way. That's what I paid last month when I stayed at the (excellent) Travelodge Gatwick Central. It's always worth factoring in that additional £6 when pricing up rooms. Some hotels are near local bus stops served by Metrobus from Gatwick where single fares can be had for £1.60.

On the way home I stayed at Premier inn airport way which was walkable from North terminal (across the road by the exit petrol station)

talldave

Established Member
One of the Premier Inns is a short walk from the North Terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.