• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-Glasgow Saturday 18th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I’m planning a trip Euston-Manchester-Glasgow-Euston in a day.using Avanti West coast and Transpenine Express, is this practical and reasonable to do? Will i be ok if i get an any permitted route return, or should I book advances so have reservations? if dont have reservations, am i likely to have any problems boarding trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bkhtele

I would book reservations, I think Avanti strongly recommended. I believe this is an any permitted route. If you don't need flexibility advances would be fine if available

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An Off Peak tickets is valid for what you want to do but I would obtain reservations for your preferred trains. You might find Advance tickets are available that are cheaper then the Off Peak Return but you will be committed to those specific trains.

route101

Established Member
Avanti website says reservations are recommended yet at Glasgow Central there is posters saying reservations are madotory and they checking your tickets before you board.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking on RTT, the current situation appears to be as follows:
  • Avanti : Reservations compulsory on weekdays, optional (but recommended) at weekends
  • CrossCountry : Reservations compulsory on all services
  • East Midlands : Reservations optional (but recommended)
  • Greater Anglia : Reservations optional (but recommended)
  • Great Western : Reservations compulsory on all reservable services

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Looking on RTT, the current situation appears to be as follows:
  • Avanti : Reservations compulsory on weekdays, optional (but recommended) at weekends
  • CrossCountry : Reservations compulsory on all services
  • East Midlands : Reservations optional (but recommended)
  • Greater Anglia : Reservations optional (but recommended)
  • Great Western : Reservations compulsory on all reservable services
With the exception of LNER that is just in the data because the operators want to have booking engines and TISs issue reservations for any tickets sold, to allow monitoring and management of "social distancing".

Avanti website says reservations are recommended yet at Glasgow Central there is posters saying reservations are madotory and they checking your tickets before you board.
The same goes at Euston but after saying "you must have a reservation to travel on Avanti services" they then admit that you actually don't - just that you might be denied travel on your preferred service without a reservation (if "social distancing" capacity is met).

Status
Not open for further replies.