• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammi22

Hey.

I travel down to London from Glasgow (well Carluke actually, but always connect in Glasgow) every weekend and vowed never to pay more than £35 for a single.

Got my outbound (Glasgow-London) fare at £26.25 on Thursday 19th July but I'm struggling to find a ticket for the return London - Glasgow leg on Monday 23rd July for £35!

I have a 16-25 (YP) railcard and am willing to travel at any time (within reason, i.e. it's a right hassle for me to get to Euston before the tube opens, and almost impossible to get home from Glasgow after 11pm so the cheapy first and last trains are a no-go :()

Have tried the obvious options of splitting at all the stations on Virgin's Euston-Glasgow service and have also tried looking at Megabus's train routes.

I will pretty much always take a longer route if it's cheaper. I'm a student and quite happy to sit on a slow train and read my lecture notes.

Pleeeeasssse help me, don't make me resort to getting a megabus! :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah I've just solved my own problem. Apparently if I buy a ticket from Clapham Junction to Glasgow it's £36.30 (via Euston). But to buy a ticket from Euston to Glasgow it's £46.55. It's not quite under £35 but it'll do!

Train tickets never cease to baffle me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hey.

I travel down to London from Glasgow (well Carluke actually, but always connect in Glasgow) every weekend and vowed never to pay more than £35 for a single.

Got my outbound (Glasgow-London) fare at £26.25 on Thursday 19th July but I'm struggling to find a ticket for the return London - Glasgow leg on Monday 23rd July for £35!

I have a 16-25 (YP) railcard and am willing to travel at any time (within reason, i.e. it's a right hassle for me to get to Euston before the tube opens, and almost impossible to get home from Glasgow after 11pm so the cheapy first and last trains are a no-go :()

Have tried the obvious options of splitting at all the stations on Virgin's Euston-Glasgow service and have also tried looking at Megabus's train routes.

I will pretty much always take a longer route if it's cheaper. I'm a student and quite happy to sit on a slow train and read my lecture notes.

Pleeeeasssse help me, don't make me resort to getting a megabus! :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah I've just solved my own problem. Apparently if I buy a ticket from Clapham Junction to Glasgow it's £36.30 (via Euston). But to buy a ticket from Euston to Glasgow it's £46.55. It's not quite under £35 but it'll do!

Train tickets never cease to baffle me.

You could try LM advance Euston-Stoke 7.60 (on the nn46 Trent Valley trains)
VT advance Stoke-Manchester P 5.60
TP advance Manchester-Glasgow 19.15 on the 13.16 getting in 16.40.

That's £32-ish all up.

Edit:
Or a VT advance Euston-Manchester £11.90 on or after 1100, but you'd be pushed to get the 1316 TP. Another £10 to go earlier to be sure.

Last edited:

Squaddie

An off-peak return with a 16-25 railcard is only £80, which seems a very small premium to pay for the wider choice of departure times and flexibility.

David

Established Member
I know your trying to save money, but if your struggling to find singles for under £35, then perhaps your just as well off with the Off Peak Return. I've just had a look on the East Coast website and found the following:

Off Peak Return Glasgow - London Terminals £80.25
Off Peak Return Glasgow - Zone U1 London £84.20

Both have the YP discount applied, and seing as you have a YP card, those fares will be valid on any VT service between Glasgow and London. So for a few pounds more, your giving yourself a lot more flexibilty.

Yew

Established Member
Trainscanbecheaper.info is good for finding splits although you have to be careful to make sure you don't end up going by timbuktu :)

rail-britain

Established Member
£70 return, after discount?
That works out at £105 return
Blimey, I travel First Class for that!

I too noticed that fares from Monday 23 July onwards are higher
I suspect this is a combination of school holidays and Olympics premium, pushing the Advance allocation to the minimum
It seems to return to normal from Monday 20 August

Sammi22

You could try LM advance Euston-Stoke 7.60 (on the nn46 Trent Valley trains)
VT advance Stoke-Manchester P 5.60
TP advance Manchester-Glasgow 19.15 on the 13.16 getting in 16.40.

That's £32-ish all up.

Edit:
Or a VT advance Euston-Manchester £11.90 on or after 1100, but you'd be pushed to get the 1316 TP. Another £10 to go earlier to be sure.

Thanks! Will deffo bear this routing in mind. Fairly used to running about like a mad person trying to make connections :lol:

Have you tried advance tickets on the Sleeper?
Yeah, why can I never get my hands on any cheap fares for this? Do they come out at an exact time? I'm always on the Scotrail "bargain berths" site but there's never anything for £19!

An off-peak return with a 16-25 railcard is only £80, which seems a very small premium to pay for the wider choice of departure times and flexibility.

I know your trying to save money, but if your struggling to find singles for under £35, then perhaps your just as well off with the Off Peak Return. I've just had a look on the East Coast website and found the following:

Off Peak Return Glasgow - London Terminals £80.25
Off Peak Return Glasgow - Zone U1 London £84.20

Both have the YP discount applied, and seing as you have a YP card, those fares will be valid on any VT service between Glasgow and London. So for a few pounds more, your giving yourself a lot more flexibilty.

I don't need the flexibility, I'm one of these "lucky" students that has pretty much no other commitments in life right now so I can go whenever I like! And since I go every week, even an extra £10 a week mounts up to hundreds a year. Plus I'm a cheapskate... :oops:

I too noticed that fares from Monday 23 July onwards are higher
I suspect this is a combination of school holidays and Olympics premium, pushing the Advance allocation to the minimum
It seems to return to normal from Monday 20 August

Yeah, not particularly looking forward to this... I've not booked anything for the Olympics period yet as I'm waiting to find out if my boyfriend is allowed to work from home (i.e. come to Scotland and live with me!)

rail-britain

Established Member
I have to use a similar strategy when travelling southbound
Glasgow - Preston (VT), Preston - Manchester (FTPE), Manchester - Euston (VT)
So far I have been lucky and not had to use it northbound

Sammi22

Haven't booked anything for next weekend yet.

Is an off-peak return always going to be £80.25 (with 16-25 railcard)? Or is this likely to increase nearer the time, bearing in mind that's the opening weekend of the olympics?

I've never seen it more than that, but then I've always booked weeks in advance...

Megabus don't do the olympics weeks. Genuinely gutted :(

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is an off-peak return always going to be £80.25 (with 16-25 railcard)? Or is this likely to increase nearer the time, bearing in mind that's the opening weekend of the olympics?

(Super) Off Peak and Anytime fares are the price they are, whether you buy online months in advance or at the ticket office just before departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.