• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London info tuesday 30/10/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYS

Just booked a 'Great Escape' with London Midland for me and my son to go to London next Tuesday. He is ten and into anything train orientated. I don't mind what we see but as I have not been to London for a very long time I was wondering if anyone has got any suggestions of things to do/not to do.

We will get to Euston about 11:30ish and I thought Clapham Junction at some point as he has never seen EMU's in action and at such a frenetic pace. I would like to avoid crowds if at all possible (I know, its London) and would like to possible get some freight action as well. All ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, Andy S

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Just booked a 'Great Escape' with London Midland for me and my son to go to London next Tuesday. He is ten and into anything train orientated. I don't mind what we see but as I have not been to London for a very long time I was wondering if anyone has got any suggestions of things to do/not to do.

We will get to Euston about 11:30ish and I thought Clapham Junction at some point as he has never seen EMU's in action and at such a frenetic pace. I would like to avoid crowds if at all possible (I know, its London) and would like to possible get some freight action as well. All ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, Andy S

Hello there. If he's into unusual trains, I reckon you can throw a few parliamentary (once a day/week) services in. The 1556 Streatham Hill > (EDIT: ) London Bridge or the 1611 Wandsworth Road > Kensington Olympia are quite good for this, although there are some staffing issues on the former at the moment (it was run fast today via Crystal Palace due to available drivers not signing the route).

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Take him to the Science or Natural History museum instead. Truly some of the greatest museums in the world, absolutely free and a ton of stuff for kids to do. Go there via Paddington if you must see some trains, but I think a tour around the museums will make for a far better day out than standing on a freezing platform in the middle of October.

Southern Dvr

Acton Main Line is worth a visit, not very busy in terms of passengers but does give an excellent chance to hear HSTs accelerating up to 125mph and also there is some freight traffic & a view of the yard.

BlythPower

As you're arriving at Euston you can get the London Overground service to Willesden Junction and then to Clapham Junction. As you say, there's plenty of train activity there and the platform ends are pretty quiet. London Bridge also has plenty of trains. Stratford's worth a look as you've got class 90s, freight, DLR and the Central line for variety.

ANDYS

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Having spoken to my son the plan seems to be Tamworth - Euston - Willesden Jcn - Clapham Jcn - Victoria - Ealing Broadway - Paddington - Willesden - Euston - Tamworth.

Now for a few more questions to make the day run as smoothly as possible. Charfield Flyer tells me to stand on the bridge at Willesden but are there any more tips for Clapham/Ealing/Euston. We are into taking photos so any tips will help. Andy S

tsr

Established Member

Having spoken to my son the plan seems to be Tamworth - Euston - Willesden Jcn - Clapham Jcn - Victoria - Ealing Broadway - Paddington - Willesden - Euston - Tamworth.

Now for a few more questions to make the day run as smoothly as possible. Charfield Flyer tells me to stand on the bridge at Willesden but are there any more tips for Clapham/Ealing/Euston. We are into taking photos so any tips will help. Andy S

Try your best not to hang around the busier platform areas (generally around the staircases) at Clapham Junction - there are good views from some of the SWT platforms' ends!

Southern Dvr

Avoid Ealing Broadway - myself & others have had platform staff / security Gestapo issues!

cls

Will be doing something similar to the suggested route , what Travelcard would I need to cover these routes ?
Can I buy a Travelcard from my local station or would I need to purchase one at Euston ?

Thanks Mark

tsr

Established Member
Will be doing something similar to the suggested route , what Travelcard would I need to cover these routes ?
Can I buy a Travelcard from my local station or would I need to purchase one at Euston ?

Thanks Mark

Just so I can check which is your cheapest option (not that it may make much difference), which is your starting (originating) station outside London?

You'll need a Travelcard covering Zones 1-3, although often you'll find that a Zones 1-6 Travelcard will be sold outside London.

wintonian

Established Member

Use a paper travel card instead of Oyster.

You could always do a trip on HS1 down to Stratford and back if that counts as unusual?

cls

Will be departing Nuneaton heading to Euston on Wednesday 31st

Thanks Mark

tsr

Established Member
Will be departing Nuneaton heading to Euston on Wednesday 31st

Thanks Mark

You can buy a Zones 1-6 Travelcard from Nuneaton - that's fine. You can also buy one from the Tube ticket office, but it looks like it'd be rather more expensive, at first glance.

The page listing all fares between Nuneaton and London Euston, including Travelcards, is found here. If it looks too confusing, just post back and either myself or someone much more capable can help you. :)

wintonian

Established Member
You can buy a Zones 1-6 Travelcard from Nuneaton - that's fine. You can also buy one from the Tube ticket office, but it looks like it'd be rather more expensive, at first glance.

The page listing all fares between Nuneaton and London Euston, including Travelcards, is found here. If it looks too confusing, just post back and either myself or someone much more capable can help you. :)

I thought the OP was going 'Great Escape' style?

12CSVT

Established Member
One suggestion for seeing freight action and Clapham Junction if you have a travelcard

On arrival at Euston get an Overground train to Willesden Junction, where the majority of lines are easily visible from the high level platforms. (Already mentioned is the footbridge which spans the West Coast Main Line - although this is a good vantage point for the main line and North London Line, a 10 year old will need something to stand on to see over the high walls - unless of course, he is very tall for his age !).

Not far from Willesden Junction is Acton Main Line station, on the Great Western Main Line which also has a lot of freight activity. Bus route 266 runs between the two stations, otherwise it is about 20 to 25 minute walk.

From here you can return to Willesden Juction to get an overground train to Clapham Junction.

Best bet for Clapham Junction is the London end of platforms 9 and 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.