• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Jaunt 19/11/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

peri

I'm hoping to be in London with a 1-6 zone Travelcard between 11:30 and 20:00. I may not be very mobile and enjoy just gazing out the window with no thought as to units, numbers or such. I'm just asking for any hints as to good lines and any quiet lines at rush hour if that is at all possible. I'm thinking Travelcard as the last trip with contactless took a bit of time and a largish telephone bill to sort out. I've already enjoyed most of the Overground, DLR and Croydon trams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In terms of the Underground I always enjoy a trip on the Metropolitan line as the stock still has proper "bays of four" (as well as the ubiquitous longitudinal seating) where you can actually look out the window properly.

peri

On the underground when do you get views? I was thinking more national rail, but happy to be proved wrong. For a long while I only travelled by tube and then only bus for the views.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the underground when do you get views? I was thinking more national rail, but happy to be proved wrong. For a long while I only travelled by tube and then only bus for the views.

The Metropolitan line runs above ground from Finchley Road northwards.

Veteran Member
The Metropolitan line runs above ground from Finchley Road northwards.
And all lines except the Victoria have surface sections (the Piccadilly Bakerloo and Northern at one end only).
The Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner lines are relatively quiet and semi rural IIRC.

Chris Butler

Actually, the majority of the Underground's mileage is above ground. Something like 51%:49% I think.

mmh

Established Member
The Hayes line on Southeastern is quite pleasant south of Catford, and Hayes itself is a level access terminus with a couple of cafes nearby. Caterham is similar.

Kite159

Veteran Member
And all lines except the Victoria have surface sections (the Piccadilly Bakerloo and Northern at one end only).
The Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner lines are relatively quiet and semi rural IIRC.

I must have missed the surface section of the Waterloo & City ;)

The Central line towards Epping is quite nice.

Travelcards are better for random trips to London as you don't have to worry about having to tap out/in every 90 minutes or so.

peri

Thanks for the tips. Hayes and Caterham look good.
Don't think I've been out of zone 2 on the underground.
So many routes, so little time!

jumble

Trivia Quiz
Which end of the Piccadilly does not have a surface section ?

Status
Not open for further replies.