• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Loop (walking route)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is anyone here doing, or has anyone completed, the London Loop?

I know @jumble (+ Summer!) are doing this walk and I've heard various other forum members mention it to me; I've done a few sections myself too.

If you have completed it, which of the 24 sections were your top 10?

If you are in the process of doing this walk, which sections have you done, and how have you found it so far?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

Although I lived in the North Finchley & New Barnet areas for several years in the 1960s and used to visit London regularly until Covid made me think better of it, this is the first time I've heard of the existence of the London Loop. Many thanks for the pointer - I've downloaded map section 16.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Never heard of this before, but I like the sound of it. 150 miles, that's impressive, even at my faster-than-average walking speed that would take quite a few days!

I definitely need to remember this for when travel becomes an option again!

duncanp

Established Member
I have done the whole LOOP 4 times, and would like to do it again when I get a chance.

My favourite sections are the ones between Uxbridge and Cockfosters, because they combine good scenery with an easy choice of stopping points and break points en route. The sections between Chigwell and Noak Hill on the Northern side, and Petts Woods to West Wickham are also very rural, making in difficult to believe that you are still in a London borough.

This is the thing about the LOOP, although there are 24 official sections, each section has several break points along it, where the route passes close to a railway or tube station (or in one instance a tram stop), and in addition there are numerous bus routes that can be used to lengthen or shorten each days walk as required. The longest stretch of the walk where there is no public transport connection is about 5 miles, between Farnborough and Keston

It is not that well known, but it does offer an opportunity to see a part of London that tourists and visitors rarely see.

You do need a good pair of walking shoes or boots, as some parts can be very muddy after a period of wet weather.

The signage is variable. On some sections the waymarking is very good, on others it is non existent. You really do need a copy of the official guidebook, and you should study the description of the section you intend to walk.

If you are interested in the LOOP, there is a shorter circular walk in London called the Capital Ring which I have done a couple of times as well. This is slightly more urban than the LOOP, but there are some really nice sections, my favourite being the climb over Horsenden Hill, between Greenford and Sudbury Hill.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've not heard of this before, sounds like it might be something to explore during the summer.

A Challenge

Established Member
I've never set out to walk a section of the loop, but have done small parts of Sections 1, 2, 4 and 11 just randomly and they have been quite nice (though not the bit along the A2, obviously). If you are thinking of this as a potential forum walk, I think a section (or part of it) would work quite well, and I'd certainly be interested if I am available.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have not heard of this, but I shall investigate now the weather seems to be getting better and things may be easing slightly too.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's on my list of walking ideas, something for me to do (along with the smaller Capital Ring) once leisure travel is allowed.

Typhoon

Established Member
I've done bits. Favourite sections - a lot depends on what you are looking for. I wouldn't start with Section 1 unless you particularly like scrappies. The section I had penciled in for last year year was the last, having been enthused by John Rogers' Youtube video

PeterY

Established Member
I've only ever done small sections around the Uxbridge area. It follows the river Colne.

joncombe

I walked all of it, but it was around 15 years ago so no doubt a lot has changed since then. I remember at that point that the path on the Essex side of the Thames ended at Coldharbour Point and that was a dead-end there and back walk from Rainham, now it goes up to Purfleet.

Some sections are certainly better than others. I particularly enjoyed the sections through Richmond Park, the downland around Happy Valley and Coulsdon, the remoter parts in Kent around Farnborough, Keston and Coney Hall in south east London and lastly the section around Chingford and Epping Forest. The sections that are not so good are the industrial parts around the Thames in east London (on both sides), around Heathrow Airport and some parts of South London where there is a lot of "pavement pounding" on not very interesting suburban streets.

From a railway point of view it's also interesting to explore some lines you perhaps haven't been on before.

I've also walked all of the Capital Ring, which was also enoyable.

High Dyke

Established Member
I started doing the LOOP on a bit of a whim, having travelled to London for a day out a few years ago. I decided that I might as well do it properly. I'm intending to cover two more sections next weekend.

I concur with the comments about the quality of signage along the route. I've also found some sections get muddy after rain - though in fairness various blogs / guides about the route do advise this.

Section 1 from Erith seems a bit barren at first, riverside marshes and industrial sites, but does improve. As posted on the thread the areas that stretch into Kent etc do seem far removed from the urban sprawl of London.

I've still got a long way to go, but some of the scenery so far has been great, as has finding informative historical locations along the route.

I'm also walking the Capital Ring, when time permits.

davews

Walked it all a couple of years ago following the excellent Colin Saunders guide book which is now very thumbed. Looks daunting, took me best part of a year. Previously did the Capital Ring and now doing Bob Gilbert's Green London Way which follows the Ring and more.
Much of it blogged on my website at http://davesergeant.com/londonloop.htm

High Dyke

Established Member
Due to train problems south of Croydon on the Sunday, I never got to walk the intended sections of the LOOP. A quick change of plans saw me walk the Capital Ring between Richmond and Greenford instead.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m shocked of how few people have heard of the Loop. I personally haven’t sought out to complete it but have done many sections of the Loop myself. I’m very lucky in that I have so many other walking routes near me, I’d prefer to have done them firstly.

My council provides excellent maps of their Public rights of way, and I also make use of the AllTrails App (which I’ve recently paid for the use of the premium version for offline use); so I’ll often make up my own routes for walking. Normally my objective is to spend as little time as possible walking alongside roads.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In 3 weeks time I am considering walking either:

Uxbridge - Hatch End (sections 12,13,14 totalling 13.3 miles), or
Elstree & Borehamwood - Cockfosters (section 16, 10 miles)

Obviously in January there is more of a chance of the path being muddy; can anyone make a recommendation as to which is likely to have the best ground conditions at this time of year?

Also are there any access issues with section 12 near Harefield Lake, given the HS2 works?

(@Mojo, have we done any of this before, other than a very tiny amount near Uxbridge I think possibly not?)

@jumble

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also are there any access issues with section 12 near Harefield Lake, given the HS2 works?
I’ve had a look and I can’t see anything on HS2 local publicity that implies any of the routes are closed, although there may be local diversions. I’m currently in dispute with HS2 because their information is sorely lacking and they have closed multiple local footpaths without publicising it on their website, so it doesn’t mean it won’t be closed but hopefully not. Permissive Bridleway 7 was closed and reopened in 2020 so all being well it should be fine now as it’s already been shut. In any case we have two relatively easy diversions, firstly staying on the canal, and secondly where you cross one side of the canal to the other, you can go straight on and walk along part of the disused railway.

(@Mojo, have we done any of this before, other than a very tiny amount near Uxbridge I think possibly not?)
We haven’t done any of it; the section in Uxbridge takes you straight along the canal, whereas we used the Fray’s river and disused railway path.

High Dyke

Established Member
Just before Christmas I continued to walk the LOOP, completing sections 6 and 7 from Coulsdon South - Banstead Downs - Ewell. A pleasant walk, though the time of year means that the Mayfield lavender fields (section 6) are not at their best. Weather conditions on the day were reasonable, with light showers on the way. Some parts of the route were wet and boggy in places. On the whole the signage on this section is better than some. This means I'm now a third of the way through the whole route, though as previously alluded to, I've already completed section 15 'out of turn'.

I find the Inner London Ramblers website useful for information. Link here about route changes / problems etc.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Obviously in January there is more of a chance of the path being muddy; can anyone make a recommendation as to which is likely to have the best ground conditions at this time of year?
The canal towpath from Uxbridge, whilst the entirety isnt paved, it isnt walking across fields as there is a bit of a stony / hardcore walking surface.

jumble

In 3 weeks time I am considering walking either:

Uxbridge - Hatch End (sections 12,13,14 totalling 13.3 miles), or
Elstree & Borehamwood - Cockfosters (section 16, 10 miles)

@jumble

I would think that they are both going to be as bad as each other
I have long accepted that any country walks during the winter are going to be muddy owing to lack of drainage of London clay and wear appropriate walking boots and be prepared to bath the Spaniel at home
Never have I been proved wrong
Once you leave the Towpath at Hillingdon it is quite a steep uphill to the next bit
I don't think the canal tow path will be blocked at the lakes as people live on the boats and need to get shopping ect
I did go for a walk there Christmas Day 2020 there and All HS2 work had big fences but was one side or the other

THC

I first walked the London LOOP and Capital Ring throughout back in 2005-7. The muddiest section of the LOOP back then was in Oxhey Woods, between Moor Park and Hatch End. I've walked sections of both since then and have always marvelled at the pace of change, particularly on the Ring.

THC

ChrisC

Established Member
I walked the Rainham to Purfleet section about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. I did it one warm summer evening whilst I was staying in London. Once I had found my way out of Rainham I don’t think I saw anyone until I got to Purfleet. The marshes seemed so remote from London with great landscapes looking across the Thames as the sun went down. It was getting towards dusk by the time I reached Purfleet station for the train back into London.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I walked the Rainham to Purfleet section about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. I did it one warm summer evening whilst I was staying in London. Once I had found my way out of Rainham I don’t think I saw anyone until I got to Purfleet. The marshes seemed so remote from London with great landscapes looking across the Thames as the sun went down. It was getting towards dusk by the time I reached Purfleet station for the train back into London.
I walked that section earlier this year and we did a forum walk to Grays to Rainham in summer 2020. Although not part of the LOOP Grays to Purfleet is 'interesting', very bleak and industrial. It's the sort of walk where you doubt yourself about whether it's a legal footpath.

THC

I walked that section earlier this year and we did a forum walk to Grays to Rainham in summer 2020. Although not part of the LOOP Grays to Purfleet is 'interesting', very bleak and industrial. It's the sort of walk where you doubt yourself about whether it's a legal footpath.
The church at the Grays end of that walk features in "Four Weddings and a Funeral". The walk between Purfleet and Grays is as you describe. I spent most of my time anticipating the proverbial guard dog leaping over the nearest fence to eat me for lunch! Not one for the faint-hearted.

THC

davews

I did the Loop in 2019, well before HS2 work. Sections 12 and 13 (done together) were before I started blogging them on my website but section 14 is there. I also commented that Oxhey Woods was muddy and that was in June so probably a quagmire now. Section 16 (done in two bits) also on my blog. Note the lovely section of the A1....

Ian1971

Just before Christmas I continued to walk the LOOP, completing sections 6 and 7 from Coulsdon South - Banstead Downs - Ewell. A pleasant walk, though the time of year means that the Mayfield lavender fields (section 6) are not at their best. Weather conditions on the day were reasonable, with light showers on the way. Some parts of the route were wet and boggy in places. On the whole the signage on this section is better than some. This means I'm now a third of the way through the whole route, though as previously alluded to, I've already completed section 15 'out of turn'.

I find the Inner London Ramblers website useful for information. Link here about route changes / problems etc.
That’s a particular lovely part of the loop I’m lucky enough to live on the route from Coulsdon to the Lavender fields and it’s well worth a visit in June when the Lavender is in full bloom

High Dyke

Established Member
That’s a particular lovely part of the loop I’m lucky enough to live on the route from Coulsdon to the Lavender fields and it’s well worth a visit in June when the Lavender is in full bloom
I agree, that is a nice section to walk. I can see me doing it again, at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.