• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Luton airport with Gold Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharle

Hi there,

I'm not great with train ticketing so was looking for some advice please!

I have a flight from London Luton on 12 October at 1.50pm, and return on 18 October (flight lands at around 8am).

I live near Surrey Quays train station (Zone 2, SE London) which is also a short walk away from Canada water tube station (also Zone 2). I also have an Oyster annual season ticket Zones 1-5 and so have a Gold card (but have never used it!).

Now, I think if I was travelling by myself to the airport, I'd just take the jubilee line to West Hampstead, get out and walk to the Thameslink and buy my ticket from there to Luton Parkway.

However, I will be travelling with my wife who only has PAYG Oyster card. I understand that she will be able to benefit from my Gold Card if she is with me.

My question is what tickets should I be buying and where? Am I eligible for a slightly discounted ticket from West Hampstead if my season ticket goes as far as Zone 5? Or is it easier if we both travel by tube to West Hampstead, and just buy discounted Gold Card tickets from there to Luton airport and forgetting that I have a Zone 5 season ticket (which may confuse matters?).

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Unfortunately, the Gold Card discount doesn't apply before 0930 Mondays to Fridays, so you'd either need to buy two Single tickets or hang around Luton for an hour or so.

For yourself:

Boundary Zone 5 to Luton Airport (not Luton Airport Parkway, as tickets to the latter don't include the shuttle bus) Anytime Day Single with Gold Card discount - £8.25
Luton Airport to Boundary Zone 5 Anytime Day Single without discount - £12.50
This gives a total of £20.75

If you can wait until 09:30 to come back, you could buy a Boundary Zone 5 to Luton Airport Anytime Return with Gold Card discount for £15.65 instead.

For your wife:

Surrey Quays - Luton Airport Anytime Day Single with Gold Card discount: £10.90
Luton Airport - Surrey Quays Anytime Day Single without discount: £16.50
This gives a total of £27.40 and is cheaper than using a combination of Oyster and a ticket from West Hampstead.

Again, if you're prepared to wait until 0930 to return, you could get an Anytime Return from Surrey Quays to Luton Airport with Gold Card discount for £21.45.

You should be able to buy the tickets in advance from any Ticket Office, though they may need some prompting to sell a ticket to Luton Airport rather than Luton Airport Parkway.

dharle

That's really helpful - thank you so much!

Just one more question, will my wife's ticket allow her to travel on the tube (Surrey Quays --> Canada Water --> West Hampstead) or will we be required to travel on the London Overground (Surrey Quays - Highbury & Islington --> West Hampstead)?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.