• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Class 320's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I have already heard about London Midland's Class 320's being transferred up to Scotland to be used by Scotrail with Class 319's now in service with London Midland to replace them. What I didn't realise is that they have had a coach removed and have been reclassified as Class 320.

There's nothing wrong with that except that I've also discovered that the coach that has been removed is the one with the toilets in it. I'm not familiar with the routes they will be used on so I don't know if they are short, commuter style routes so the lack of toilets won't be an issue. What I find strange, however, is the fact that they have just had an accessible toilet fitted to the existing fleet of Class 320's so I find it odd that the ex London Midland Class 321's converted to Class 320's will be toiletless.

Are they set to receive toilets or will they remain toiletless?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carntyne

I have already heard about London Midland's Class 320's being transferred up to Scotland to be used by Scotrail with Class 319's now in service with London Midland to replace them. What I didn't realise is that they have had a coach removed and have been reclassified as Class 320.

There's nothing wrong with that except that I've also discovered that the coach that has been removed is the one with the toilets in it. I'm not familiar with the routes they will be used on so I don't know if they are short, commuter style routes so the lack of toilets won't be an issue. What I find strange, however, is the fact that they have just had an accessible toilet fitted to the existing fleet of Class 320's so I find it odd that the ex London Midland Class 321's converted to Class 320's will be toiletless.

Are they set to receive toilets or will they remain toiletless?

They will receive a full refurbishment and accessible loos. Priority is probably to get them into service before the Queen Street High Level closure.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd imagine it's probably easier to install an accessible bog module into an open space than to have to remove a load of possibly structural partitions from the old non-accessible bogs?

Also, and rather more importantly, you couldn't remove the other centre coach, as it's the power car, it wouldn't go anywhere :)

ryan125hst

Established Member
They will receive a full refurbishment and accessible loos. Priority is probably to get them into service before the Queen Street High Level closure.

Sounds like a sensible plan. It would have been odd if they weren't planning on doing this after spending time and money upgrading the original Class 320's.

Neil Williams said:
Also, and rather more importantly, you couldn't remove the other centre coach, as it's the power car, it wouldn't go anywhere

I gathered it would be down to the equipment in the other coach. A quick Google to find a photo of a unit showed the transformer underneath and a pantograph at the top. It wouldn't be much use without that coach :lol:

I'm assuming they aren't keeping it as a four car due to platform lengths, stop markers and multiple working in 6 car sets where 8 cars will be too long?

Geeves

Established Member
What has happened to the carriages they took out? Presumably you could make up a train with a serious amount of toilets for those who miss them?

D365

Veteran Member
We've had what is basically the same discussion on the ex-LM 320s here... The information that you want to known will probably be found there ;)

What has happened to the carriages they took out?

They've gone into storage; earmarked for conversion by a well-known portable convenience facility manufacturer...

Last edited:

ryan125hst

Established Member
We've had what is basically the same discussion on the ex-LM 320s here... Tthe information that you may want to known will probably be found there ;)

Sorry, I don't post on here as much as I used to and while I do tend to visit the forum most days, I sometimes only have time for a quick look.

D365

Veteran Member
Sorry, I don't post on here as much as I used to and while I do tend to visit the forum most days, I sometimes only have time for a quick look.

No problem, just thought I'd give you the link as it's a very recent topic. I know what you mean, we've been busy with assignments and that!

gsnedders

Established Member
I'm assuming they aren't keeping it as a four car due to platform lengths, stop markers and multiple working in 6 car sets where 8 cars will be too long?

Most of the platforms only have space for 6x20m stock, hence the questions longer-term as to what's going to happen (with 334s being the last new stock with 20m cars, both 380s and 385s have 23m cars).

ryan125hst

Established Member
No problem, just thought I'd give you the link as it's a very recent topic. I know what you mean, we've been busy with assignments and that!

I've been off for Easter the last couple of weeks and I'm heading back to Sheffield tomorrow for the last few weeks of lectures. I've had a bit of a break while I've been at home. I've got a few assignments to do and an exam revise for once I'm back, but once I've sat that on 5th May I'm done for the summer- perfect timing for the Flying Scotsman as she's going through Retford a couple of weeks after!

It's not just work though. Besides all the other things that I have to do that seem to take up a lot of time such as shopping, cooking, washing up, laundry etc, being technically minded, I also enjoy looking at other things besides trains. I've found Techmoan's YouTube channel interesting and EEV Blog as well. What with going to Sheffield on the train on Thursday to meet up with a coursemate to prepare a presentation and the new Northern franchise starting, it's got me back into trains again. It's not that I've not been interested in them, just that I've been spending time on other interests.

Getting back on topic though, it was spending a bit more time on here that I found out about London Midland's Class 321's being converted into Class 320's. You seem to get behind so quickly with the railways if you take your eye off them for a few weeks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.