• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland - Interview ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a letter from London Midland for both my assessment centre and interview. At the bottom of the letter is permission to use London Midland services, free of charge, on the day of the interview..provided I show my letter to a authorised member of staff.

I used this letter on the conductor to the assessment centre, the gateline at Snow Hill and the conductor back. I used this letter on the conductor to the interview, and again on the gateline at Snow Hill - there and back. Absolutely no problems - let through with a smile and a good luck.

On the train back from the interview, the conductor was checking the tickets - I presented my letter. He took it, said 'what's this then' and looked very sceptical. I told him it was valid, and produced the other letter as well...I also hold him I had no problems with it before.

He then said that London Midland should have given me a pass or a ticket before my letter wasn't valid...and he walked off.

I'm not complaining - I suppose he could have issued a unpaid fares fine but is he right? and me and six other members of LM staff wrong?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Most likeley he's failed to read a brieifing about the validity of such letters, or perhaps LM have failed to brief the information out to staff but six out of the seven staff you encountered used their common sense/discretion.

Fare-Cop

A letter on it's own without reference to any form of identity will usually raise questions.

In BR days and since on most TOCs it always used to be the practice to issue a ticket or pass to accompany the letter.

I assume the letter was dated for use only on the one return journey so no problem as far as I can see and I agree with RPM's assessment.

First class

Established Member
Free ticket "vouchers" exist for things like this. However, laziness dictates that a sentence or two added on to a letter should do :D

It isn't standard practice, so the guard was rightly intrigued by it.

tempests1

I got a letter from London Midland for both my assessment centre and interview. At the bottom of the letter is permission to use London Midland services, free of charge, on the day of the interview..provided I show my letter to a authorised member of staff.

I used this letter on the conductor to the assessment centre, the gateline at Snow Hill and the conductor back. I used this letter on the conductor to the interview, and again on the gateline at Snow Hill - there and back. Absolutely no problems - let through with a smile and a good luck.

On the train back from the interview, the conductor was checking the tickets - I presented my letter. He took it, said 'what's this then' and looked very sceptical. I told him it was valid, and produced the other letter as well...I also hold him I had no problems with it before.

He then said that London Midland should have given me a pass or a ticket before my letter wasn't valid...and he walked off.

I'm not complaining - I suppose he could have issued a unpaid fares fine but is he right? and me and six other members of LM staff wrong?

Hope the day went well though as regards the assessment/interview!:)

b0b

Established Member
One wonders if you really want to work for a company that seems this disorganized....

barrykas

Established Member
My TOC issues similar "Authority to Travel" letters for various reasons, though they usually page the details out to the Revenue Protection staff as a backup as well.

Clip

Established Member
They really shouldve informed staff that they were interviewing on that day - I never had problems when I went for a job with them last year..

Not everyone use's tickets nowadays for travel to interview, unless they have changed I have over the last 2 years gone for

Southern
South Eastern
London Midland
EMT

and none of them sent through a travel ticket - just a letter.

1D53

Established Member
Some companies won't even give that - travel at own expense!

As I say, I'm not complaining as such - the guard could have fined me for unpaid fares I suppose (/?)

I just reckon London Midland needs to train its own staff better.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As I say, I'm not complaining as such - the guard could have fined me for unpaid fares I suppose (/?)

I just reckon London Midland needs to train its own staff better.

Although it is not a nice experience, the guard did eventually use his common sense.

If a UPFN were issued, I would expect it to be quashed on appeal promptly.

Furthermore a guard cannot fine you. He can only demand a fare. Only a court can impose a fine.

34D

Established Member
Free ticket "vouchers" exist for things like this. However, laziness dictates that a sentence or two added on to a letter should do :D

It isn't standard practice, so the guard was rightly intrigued by it.

Add NXEC and NXEA to the list who do these letters.

N Levers

I went for a medical for a job with fgw and they gave me a letter for free travel that day for both fgw and fcc... (this was 2 years ago now)

Status
Not open for further replies.