London Midland - no toilets on 2.5 hour journey

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by nuneatonmark, 10 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuneatonmark

nuneatonmark Member

Another example of LM failing to provide any working loos, this time on the 1646 from Euston. Fortunately, we have a longer stop at Rugby for anyone who needs it. Just goes to show that LM are not suited to long distance travel, would a Virgin service to Manchester be allowed to depart without a single loo in operation?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Any idea why they were out? The alternative is to cancel the train. I would also guess that a Pendo/Voyager would have more facilities than a 350 so the chances of having none at all are less? But as long as it is made very clear that toilets are unavailable beforehand and stops are provided then I would say running the train is preferable?

As for LM not being suited to long distance travel are you basing that from this one occasion or from other bad experiences you've had with LM?

Last edited: 10 Aug 2015
  4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I've certainly encountered Voyagers with all 3 bogs out. Pendolinos are less likely to be affected simply because there are far more bogs.

5. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

I'd love to see London Midland run to Derby or even Sheffield but it's never going to happen.

Shame really because the Sheffield area would see some competition then

6. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

If all loos aren't working what do elderly people who suffer from a 'weak bladder' do? Presumably they wouldn't be allowed to travel on a later more expensive train run by a different operator?

7. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Veteran Member

8. Bletchleyite

I'd imagine they could use the next train per their ticket. I don't know about Advances but I'd certainly argue the point; I wouldn't take a long journey (more than a couple of hours at most) knowing there were no bogs on board.

Arguably Delay Repay should also apply, though I expect as the train itself operated it probably wouldn't actually.

9. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

One assumes they would be very reluctant to cancel a service out of Euston at that time of day in view of the knock-on effect on other services.

10. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

For clarity I was talking about an advance ticket.

11. nuneatonmark

nuneatonmark Member

No water to flush the loos. Now waiting at Rugby while a procession of Virgin trains overtake us. Although just saying that, we were let ahead of a stationary Virgin Liverpool service which I am very surprised at.

12. Bletchleyite

And on commuter capacity to MKC (a journey on which most people won't need the use of the facilities).

13. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Doesnt matter which ticket they held but Im pretty sure any TOC would be accommodating to their needs should this situation arise.

Contrary to some posters on here who seem to dislike the railways and love to have a pop at them at any opportunity, the reality is is that we do do the right thing the majority of the time.

14. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

This is really taking the ****

15. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

I thought the 16:46 was formed of eight carriages?

You aren't telling me both are out.

16. sd0733

sd0733 Established Member

Quite rare for an 8-car to have no toilets simply because theres 4 but strangely the 17:46 ex euston also an 8-car had no toilets tonight either.
    The toilet situation on Lm has improved recently but during the school holidays they do seem to suffer with the increased amounts of families etc on board and they never seem to last as long so presume they use them more than the commuters!

17. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

Related question. Do the toilets get emptied at Euston? And does the train get refuelled at Euston?

18. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Cannot answer the first part of your question(at a guess i think not) but as for the train getting re-fueled it is a electric train so no.
    Sam

19. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

My extended family often use London Midland to travel down to London and by all accounts all the toilets being out of order on a four car unit is a regular event. As is the extended stop at Rugby / Nuneaton for a toilet break.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    And how would you find room on an already very busy two track mainline with limited passing loops?

20. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Not to mention the question about rolling stock, where would it come from.
    Great in hindsight but in reality, at least for the time being. Its a no
    Sam

21. kieron

kieron Established Member

It would be a different franchise if it included a route from somewhere or other to Yorkshire.

As regards competition, they do price a range of "London Midland and Crosscountry only" flexible tickets between London and places such as Derby and Sheffield. These are priced cheaply enough that, while both London-Derby and London-Bedford have return tickets which are valid for more than a day, the cheapest London-Derby one costs less than the cheapest London-Bedford one.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  22. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

Unfortunately, trains are neither 'tanked' or refuelled at terminii, all of these tasks are carried out in depots either overnight or between the peaks, depending on how hard the stock is worked. The process of emptying controlled emission tank involves someone attaching a hose to the tank before then switching on a large pump to empty the tank into a storage tank before being taken away for further processing. Occasionally, some of the tank's contents fail to get into the storage tank, which is one reason that tanking isn't done at terminii. One of the other reasons is the lack of space at terminii. You can't really put the pumps on the platform because of the smell, the irregular positioning of tank valves, as well as taking up space and posing potential trip hazards with hoses running across the platform. You can't put them between the tracks because of the lack of space!

Similar really for refuelling, no space at terminii for either the pumps or the tanks, and fortunately, no real need as trains are *usually* able to run their day's work on 1 fuelling

23. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

Domh245: Many thanks for answers to the 'related' question I asked.

Kieron: London to Derby
    I couldn't find the cheaper tickets you refer to. Can you help locate them.

24. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Some terminals such as Leeds do have facilities on the platform for filling tanks. Less use if there's a tank to empty as well.

25. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

Certainly seen tanks being filled at Kings Cross

26. OneOffDave

OneOffDave Member

I was lucky as the assistance team at Euston forewarned me about the toilets on the 1746 but there was a father with his young son who'd just walked to the toilet when the announcement was made on the train when we'd travelled a bit. I didn't hear any announcements on the train before we left.

27. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=EUS&dest=DBY

The fares you're looking for are the ones routed LM AND XC ONLY.

Not so much of a bargain when you look at the time restrictions on the Super Off Peak Return!

28. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

During my time working with c2c, the aim was always to try and ensure the waste tanks on the 357s were emptied ahead of the weekend, as the nature of the journeys made by the leisure crowd meant that greater use was made of the toilet facilities, compared to the peak commuter and off-peak loadings usually witnessed during the week. No doubt the increased leisure travelling during the school holidays will be having an impact as you say.

29. Aldaniti

Aldaniti Member

This is a useful thread, I've just made a mental note never ever to use London Midland.

30. Bletchleyite

They really aren't that bad.

31. Camden

Camden Established Member

Could it be the case that there is nothing wrong with the toilets but they have been locked out to prevent them being misused I wonder? I agree above that 8 carriages without toilets seems strange. A long journey without toilets really ought to be a rare exception due to exceptional failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.