• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland only fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel78

I just fired off an email to London Midland about trying to buy one of their fares from their own website. Just thought I'd post it here in case this was an issue that has been picked up before, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

====================

I wish to buy the following ticket.

London Euston - Liverpool Lime St
Type: Super off-peak return
Route: London Midland only
Cost: £26.50

I find the journey on www.nationalrail.co.uk
However, when i click through to purchase the ticket from the London Midland website the fares show the full fare (approx £74) for travel via any permitted route. I can't find any way on the London Midland website to select London Midland only fares to get the price I want (in fact I can't see any "advanced options" to adjust the fare). Could you please advise me whether this is possible? It seems very strange to me that there is no obvious way to specify London Midland only fares on the London Midland website.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
I just fired off an email to London Midland about trying to buy one of their fares from their own website. Just thought I'd post it here in case this was an issue that has been picked up before, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

====================

I wish to buy the following ticket.

London Euston - Liverpool Lime St
Type: Super off-peak return
Route: London Midland only
Cost: £26.50

I find the journey on www.nationalrail.co.uk
However, when i click through to purchase the ticket from the London Midland website the fares show the full fare (approx £74) for travel via any permitted route. I can't find any way on the London Midland website to select London Midland only fares to get the price I want (in fact I can't see any "advanced options" to adjust the fare). Could you please advise me whether this is possible? It seems very strange to me that there is no obvious way to specify London Midland only fares on the London Midland website.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Normally there should be an "Advanced option" tab. Failing that, try inserting via Northampton (NMP) and that should bring up LM-only fares.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There's a "show slower routes" option on the left; select this, the LM Only option then click update. But there's no need to book in advance of course, you won't even get a reservation!

SS4

Established Member
You can either search via Northampton or click Show Other Routes and tick Valid on London Midland trains only

IanD

Established Member
Whne the fares are displayed, select 'Show Other Routes' at the bottom of the 'Show Me' box on the left, then tick Valid on London Midland Trains only and press update.

(Too slow again! Much like the London Midland Service from Euston to Liverpool).

daniel78

Thanks. Actually I think the tab I was using before had some trouble loading before, I can see the option now. I realise they are walk up fares anyway, but sometimes I prefer buying online the night before instead of queuing at Euston (I take it there's no 10% online booking discount that you get for advance tickets then?).

To be honest right now I'm just playing around trying to discover the bargain fares out there. It still bothers me that a few years ago I went to Crewe on a pig of delayed National Express journey because I had no idea about these fares. LM really should be shouting about these fares as soon as you visit their website in my opinion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whne the fares are displayed, select 'Show Other Routes' at the bottom of the 'Show Me' box on the left, then tick Valid on London Midland Trains only and press update.

(Too slow again! Much like the London Midland Service from Euston to Liverpool).

Well, see what I wrote just above. Suppose I find out today I have to go to Liverpool for the weekend. I reckon my options are:

Virgin Train - 2h10m - £74
London Midland Train - 3h30m - £26
National Express Coach - 5h30m - £25

I'd say LM offer far and away the best balance of time/cost.
I'd also say LM seems like a rare example of privatisation working for the consumer in the sense of competing companies driving down cost for the consumer.

SS4

Established Member
Bear in the mind the Super Off-Peak return does not allow break of journey on the outbound portion

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd also say LM seems like a rare example of privatisation working for the consumer in the sense of competing companies driving down cost for the consumer.

LM actually have a DfT-mandated monopoly from Birmingham to Liverpool and from Euston to Trent Valley stations (except in the peak).
Euston-Liverpool is an incidental bi-product of these services.
Off-peak trains are also not very full north of Northampton, hence the cheap offers.
I assume you are aware that changing at Stafford is faster than going round the NS loop and changing at Crewe.
These trains will be faster when class 350 110mph running comes in.

IanD

Established Member

This was an (obviously wasted) attempt at humour.

I have visited Liverpool twice in the last year and on both occasions have used the London Midland service to/from Milton Keynes purely because it's cheaper.

Well, see what I wrote just above. Suppose I find out today I have to go to Liverpool for the weekend. I reckon my options are:

Virgin Train - 2h10m - £74
London Midland Train - 3h30m - £26
National Express Coach - 5h30m - £25

I'd say LM offer far and away the best balance of time/cost.

But bear in mind that a late evening return journey by London Midland would have to be via Birmingham and so take a lot longer.

MKD

Unless London Midland have one of their sales on (ie when they are offering discounts but ONLY via their own website), I buy my London Midland only tickets via TopCashBack and the Southern Railways website to get 6% £back - and depending on the type of ticket, potentially their RainyDayGuarantee when using TOD.
As others have said the secret is in the hidden options in the MixingDesk ONCE you have initially input details and got first results and THEN have the "Select a route" option lurking at foot of journey details on left.
MKD

Brucey

Unless London Midland have one of their sales on (ie when they are offering discounts but ONLY via their own website), I buy my London Midland only tickets via TopCashBack and the Southern Railways website to get 6% £back - and depending on the type of ticket, potentially their RainyDayGuarantee when using TOD.
As others have said the secret is in the hidden options in the MixingDesk ONCE you have initially input details and got first results and THEN have the "Select a route" option lurking at foot of journey details on left.
MKD
The Southern website also sold the London Midland sale tickets, albeit rounded up to the next 5p. I took advantage of the 6% cashback on this quite a few times.

daniel78

Ooh thanks very much for that tip. So I can get a 6% discount on all train tickets, and the guarantee of a full refund on any tickets you end up not using (excluding other TOC's advances). I think I've found the way I'll be buying most of my train tickets in future. :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ooh thanks very much for that tip. So I can get a 6% discount on all train tickets, and the guarantee of a full refund on any tickets you end up not using (excluding other TOC's advances). I think I've found the way I'll be buying most of my train tickets in future. :D

Effectively yes, however you need to bear in mind that not all purchases are guaranteed to track, although my experience has been very good with them.

You also don't just get a discount per se. Money is paid back to you in a few months' time after the purchase separately so you will need to pay for your ticket in full at the time of purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.