• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Problems - 17/03/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich McLean

Established Member
What's going on today, loads of trains cancelled, apparently due to lack of train crew. Have I missed something here, no mention of any other problems or engineering works on their website or twitter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
"Due to a temporary shortage of train crew on Saturday 17 March, London Midland services on the following routes may be subject to cancellation or have amended stops:
Birmingham New Street to Northampton / London Euston
London Euston / Northampton to Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New Street and Rugeley Trent Valley.

If your train is cancelled, please catch the train scheduled to run directy before or after the cancelled train, or speak to station staff at manned stations. Some cancelled trains may be replaced by buses.

Passengers may use Virgin Trains services on all reasonable routes."

Siounds fishy to me. And doesn't the helpful travel advice "If your train is cancelled, please catch the train scheduled to run directy before or after the cancelled train, or speak to station staff at manned stations. Some cancelled trains may be replaced by buses" really sound like an on the ball, well organised operation.

causton

Established Member
Siounds fishy to me. And doesn't the helpful travel advice "If your train is cancelled, please catch the train scheduled to run directy before or after the cancelled train, or speak to station staff at manned stations. Some cancelled trains may be replaced by buses" really sound like an on the ball, well organised operation.

Well if they tell everyone to use VT then the VT trains will be full. If they tell everyone to use a rail replacement service then the RRBs will be full. If they tell people to use a range of options people will be spread out and not all a massive crowd of LM customers - that's how I see it :)

GadgetMan

I believe the shortage is caused by outstanding leave from 2011 that must be used up before the end of this month.

It's just what I've heard in the messroom, so may well be incorrect.

dvboy

Established Member
A train that should have split at northampton earlier only had the crewe portion. an announcement at euston stated passengers for birmingham should wait for the next lm service. no mention of acceptance on vt

pt_mad

Established Member
They were using 350/2s on services between Crewe and London as well.

A-driver

Established Member
I believe the shortage is caused by outstanding leave from 2011 that must be used up before the end of this month.

It's just what I've heard in the messroom, so may well be incorrect.

I thought LMs Sunday's were voluntary? Or did that change? May be just lack of volunteers due to mothers day.

A-driver

Established Member
This thread is referring to a Saturday ;)

Ah, didn't read the date, just assumed it was talking about a Sunday! Probably as said previously a mix of annual leave, sickness and perhaps a lack of overtime volunteers.

ushawk

Established Member
I thought LMs Sunday's were voluntary? Or did that change? May be just lack of volunteers due to mothers day.

London Midlands Twitter feed says that its because they havent had enough drivers volunteer to do overtime, might be due to St Patricks Day and Mothers Day - who knows.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thye have also said on twitter it is due to staff sickness and people falling ill at work. Perhaps it is a combination of events PLUS the problems on Friday

Established Member
Thye have also said on twitter it is due to staff sickness and people falling ill at work. Perhaps it is a combination of events PLUS the problems on Friday
Well a number of Saturday cancellations were 'PG' cancelled on Friday night so that they wouldn't count as a PPM failure on Saturday when they didn't run. That wasn't down to any on the day illness as it was known about beforehand...

Silverlinky

Well a number of Saturday cancellations were 'PG' cancelled on Friday night so that they wouldn't count as a PPM failure on Saturday when they didn't run. That wasn't down to any on the day illness as it was known about beforehand...

Makes a mockery of any "charter" figures really doesnt it? As far as the punters are concerned the train was cancelled but the company's figures say otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.