• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland service performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would safety be compromised by moving the switch over point to a station, say Shepherds Bush?
There would be a technical problem in that the wires don't extend to Shepherd's Bush so this would need to be resolved. As mentioned by another poster, this has been proposed. It doesn't affect anything like the operation of the emergency door releases so there is no issue. This is how it's done on parts of the NLL with 313s.

What I don't understand is why it can't be done whilst the train is still moving, as how it used to be done on the Eurostars.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
What I don't understand is why it can't be done whilst the train is still moving, as how it used to be done on the Eurostars.

Did that once with a Connex 319.

Its the staggering from North Pole to Wembley that annoys me, when you get sent mainline from West London Jn (Willesden TMD) you save about five minutes!! Although they may have had to stop that now they all stop at Wembley Central.

I don't think 8-cars could happen due to platform length issues at West Brompton, Shepherds Bush and maybe even Clapham, but I think a second service an hour as far as Watford will happen at some stage. Doesn't the Southern franchise change this year, maybe someone will bring it in then.

Pumbaa

Established Member
It takes a bit more than a few seconds. The Electrostar is at a standstill for a good two minutes at least while the switch is made and all the other systems are rebooted. Southbound, the switch over point is on a downhill gradient, so in addition to the two minute standstill, you have to add on the creep time. I am pretty sure it adds a good 5 minutes.

I've go it noted down as an average of 90 seconds, the quickest time being 81 seconds start to finish. The whine down of systems is just changing the input gate or whatever it's called - the systems don't actually get switched off, jus tput into temporary halt mode. The PIS seems to not forget where it is now as much, beforehand it was awful.

The line can't take 8 car trains - West Brompton is 6, and very cleverly so is Shepherds Bush. Olympia is Eurostar length, so that's no problem!

It's not too much of an inconvenience the delay, but we will see diesel trains on this section of track from the franchise change, with the overturning of the Parliamentary Bus service ;)

Edvid

Established Member
According to someone from the southernrailway Yahoo Group (can't remember who), 377s are definitely capable of changovers on the move and have done so on occasion in the past.

However, he also mentioned the drivers are required to carry stationary changeovers because the dual-electrified section of line is not long enough to allow a 377 to fail a 'moving' changeover and still be able to stop in time for a stationary changeover.

The whole changeover process in an Electrostar is also more complicated than that of a 313 or 319 apparently.

Danielo

That's great news. I just hope that the sellotape holding it all together doesn't give way!

One little nag - great shame that the Southern service won't be going onto Gatwick.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like it will be a nighmare to get into Euston this morning from H&W. I usually get the 0841, but the preceding train, the 0831 (this is a 12 coach 350) has been cancelled. I've just read that the 0841 will be short formed to 4 coaches (321). In addition, there is an 0836 Overground service to Euston that passenegers north of H&W normally get off to get the fast 0841 service. The next fast service into Euston from H&W is the 0911. :(

Pumbaa

Established Member
On Monday, they start running more services don't they? Well - they're supposed to...

Established Member
Seems like a lot of staff are unavailable today!

That is what happens when Sunday is not part of the working week and you have good industrial relations with your staff :roll:

I have heard talk of a certain freight operators drivers being trained up and hired in to help alleviate the shortages ;)

PS: Thinking of opening a sweepstake on how long it will take befor everything goes pear-shaped tomorrow morning :lol:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Regarding the Southern 377 services, today I timed both changeovers at ~60 give or take 3 seconds - that's stopping to moving again.

Nice to see LM preventing the 350/1s and 350/2s getting mixed up - saw a 3x /1 going to Tring this morning... Nice. Which poor people got /2s on their Crewe-London or Liverpool-Birmingham then? :D

Danielo

Both the 1/s and 2/s are very comfortable, and the interior decor is pleasant on the eye. But you're right Pumbaa, I'd prefer a /1 for a long distance run, and the 2/s are good enough for stop start ones.

mirrorman1

I find it shocking the level of incompetence. I travel (sometimes) from H&W to Euston and there is never a morning passes without some problem. The information boards are clearly kept up to date by someone in a darkened room. on tuesday there was no mention of an 8.15 from plat 6, but rather an 8.15 from 2 and an 8.16 from 1. This was never going to happen and as expected the 8.15 turned up on plat 6. Then on weds the 7.57 was "on tine at 7.56, then at 7.58 it had disaappeared along wih the 8.15! no explanation, no communication. Perhap the reason was "late arrival of rolling stock" as if that were someone elses managment responsibility than London Midlands!! I feel like i am living in a third world country.

Danielo

I find it shocking the level of incompetence. I travel (sometimes) from H&W to Euston and there is never a morning passes without some problem. The information boards are clearly kept up to date by someone in a darkened room. on tuesday there was no mention of an 8.15 from plat 6, but rather an 8.15 from 2 and an 8.16 from 1. This was never going to happen and as expected the 8.15 turned up on plat 6. Then on weds the 7.57 was "on tine at 7.56, then at 7.58 it had disaappeared along wih the 8.15! no explanation, no communication. Perhap the reason was "late arrival of rolling stock" as if that were someone elses managment responsibility than London Midlands!! I feel like i am living in a third world country.

Yes, I've seen that problem also, with the 08.41 down to depart from platform 1 (i.e. the dc to watford service!)

Don't forget that Harrow and Wealdstone is managed by TfL.

Several cancellations from Euston tonight. Line problem between Northampton and Euston according to LM website. When I was at Euston trying to get the 19.34, it was cancelled just before the departure time due to lack of staff!

Last edited:

Established Member
Special service today, no apparent reason??!!! No notice given either apart from a notice on the website which very helpfully gives no indication of what is actually running!!??

Danielo

So what are they up to today then? Seems ok from Harrow & Wealdstone, half hourlies into Euston.

Had to endure the Overground service on Thursday night. The number of anti social types that get this train!!

WillPS

Established Member
This is totally shocking, surely DfT are going to take the franchise off these jokers!?

Status
Not open for further replies.