London Midland Shunter

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by GMCK, 8 Dec 2017.

1. GMCK

GMCK Member

LM are currently advertising for a Shunter role at their Soho depot, does anybody know whether this job is primarily coupling and organising trains or is there depot driving involved too?

I have heard Shunters will be required to move the train from A to B for collection by the driver...

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. steviebuk

steviebuk Member

No it’s a ground shunters position, ground shunters only look after service delivery control if the yard, and placing stock onto diagrams(timetables)

4. Lem

Lem Member

Just had a look at the job description on the website and to be honest it doesn’t look like a ground shunters position. I am a shunter for a different TOC and it involves marshalling, coupling, controlling yard movements, washing and CETing, preparing trains for service and reporting faults - similar to what is on the description.

5. Cheggers

Cheggers Member

Hi everyone,

I emailed Recruitment and there’s no driving involved whatsoever. It’s basically preparation of train. They said they have proper depot drivers to move trains around.

6. Lem

Lem Member

Fair enough. Guess different TOC’s have different definitions of roles.

7. hsharma25

hsharma25 Member

I have an interview next week for this role, does anyone have any ideas to what kind of questions are likely to be asked? I’m guessing it will be competency based, focusing on things such as safety, following rules &regs, communicational skills and teamwork...but any further help would be much appreciated.

Thanks