• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Terms and Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
Is there anyone here who works/has worked for London Midland who can answer a few question?

1 - How does their pension scheme compare to public sector schemes?
2 - How does salary progression work, is it similar to the public sector in that there are set payscales where you move up incrementally each year?
3 - If and when they lose the franchise to another company, are your T&Cs protected?
4 - As TOCs go, are they one of the better ones to work for?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ibex

Is there anyone here who works/has worked for London Midland who can answer a few question?

1 - How does their pension scheme compare to public sector schemes?
2 - How does salary progression work, is it similar to the public sector in that there are set payscales where you move up incrementally each year?
3 - If and when they lose the franchise to another company, are your T&Cs protected?
4 - As TOCs go, are they one of the better ones to work for?

Thanks in advance.

1 - I can't really comment on the pension being good or bad because I don't really understand any of it, or the public sector pension schemes.

2 - You have a lower basic wage whilst training and during your 6 months probation period, where it then increases to your normal rate. If there is a union agreed payrise across the department (station or traincrew etc) then your pay will go up but there are no payrises set on seniority.

3 - You should keep the T&C's of the contract you sign when you are employed, until the new franchise completes harmonisation of staff (something which LM have yet to do, 5 years into the franchise).

4 - I thoroughly enjoy working for them personally!

gg1

Established Member
1 - I can't really comment on the pension being good or bad because I don't really understand any of it, or the public sector pension schemes.

2 - You have a lower basic wage whilst training and during your 6 months probation period, where it then increases to your normal rate. If there is a union agreed payrise across the department (station or traincrew etc) then your pay will go up but there are no payrises set on seniority.

3 - You should keep the T&C's of the contract you sign when you are employed, until the new franchise completes harmonisation of staff (something which LM have yet to do, 5 years into the franchise).

4 - I thoroughly enjoy working for them personally!

Thanks James

re point 2, the job I'm looking at is a back office one, not train or station based, would the same still apply in this case?

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Thanks James

re point 2, the job I'm looking at is a back office one, not train or station based, would the same still apply in this case?

Yes, you can still be a member of a union, although railway specific ones (RMT, ASLEF etc) are less likely to focus their efforts on office staff - I think.

The Railway Pension Scheme is very good, particularly if you remain in the industry for a long time. If you move between TOCs, you can usually stay on the same pension scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.