• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

I know I don't really need to, but for my own piece of mind I usually book my train tickets online and pick them up from my local London Midland station at Rugeley Town.

Probably as many times as the machine is working, it's not. This morning I went to Rugeley Town to pick up some tickets and "Out of Service". As I was out for a walk I decided to pop to Rugeley Trent Valley.... "Out of Service".

Are we just unlucky in Rugeley or is it the norm for London Midland..??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I have had problems with Bletchley in the past and there is often one machine out at MK (although that still leaves 5/6)

BHXDMT

The card only machines they installed on that line seem to be out of use more often than not. Endlessly getting passengers telling me the machine is out of use, and all I can say is "I know."

GatwickDepress

Established Member
There were two out of order at Milton Keynes Central last week. A bit annoying when the queue was 20 people thick, but as I'm one of those people who turns up 20 minutes early, it was no biggie.
never had an issue at Bletchley or MK or Fenny Stratford
Fenny Stratford has a TVM now? :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have had problems with Bletchley in the past and there is often one machine out at MK (although that still leaves 5/6)

Bletchley does break from time to time, when it does in the peak they tend to try to get a second member of staff there so the two windows can be open. They could do with adding a second, perhaps by swapping the existing one for two of the newer narrower type.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There were two out of order at Milton Keynes Central last week. A bit annoying when the queue was 20 people thick, but as I'm one of those people who turns up 20 minutes early, it was no biggie.

Try a Monday morning - 20 minutes won't be enough even if they are all working! :)

All Line Rover

Established Member
MKC could do with a similar ticket machine setup to Euston. However, there is a surprising lack of space in the lobby for a station that otherwise occupies a very large plot.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There's usually at least one out at Hemel Hempstead, and the solitary machine at Apsley was out of order as often as it worked. AFAIK it's mostly when the machines run out of tickets, which is why it happens more at the smaller stations where the ticket office is frequently closed due to "staff shortage"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
MKC could do with a similar ticket machine setup to Euston. However, there is a surprising lack of space in the lobby for a station that otherwise occupies a very large plot.

To me rather than turning the old Travel Centre into office space they could have closed the existing ticket windows, replaced with a bank of maybe 20-25 narrow-type TVMs, and retained the Travel Centre for those needing service in person. A couple of staff could have been on the concourse as roving TVM assistants. 99% of people want either a Travelcard to London or a season ticket to London of some description, which the TVMs are quite capable of selling.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

but most of the footprint isn't station - the actual station area isn't that big. The space could, of course, be used better.

Status
Not open for further replies.