• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland ticket offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Even though a consultation is underway leaked internal emails obtained by the BBC and Railnews between between the DFT management and the departments Rail Fares and Ticketing Review Unit indicate negotiations are already well advanced and signed off by Theresa Villiers to close a large number of London Midland ticket offices at smaller stations. The emails contain warnings not to publically admit a decision has already been made and to deny it if asked, PR staff are also applauded for implying the decision to close ticket offices was actually being made by the Tocs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jaigee

Queues out into the forecourt again yesterday at Nuneaton as only one window/member of staff available. <(

Z12XE

Whilst cuts are not something I want to see generally, looking through the London Midland PDFs its amazing that these offices have lasted so long in their current form.

I work at stations which are many times busier and none are staffed anywhere near the times Adderley Park and Acocks Green (for example) are. Stations in the adjoining area from where I work, which are still busier than these have only had morning turns for many years.

whhistle

On Moderation
If you're going to post something like that, you need to include a source.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
So it means that someone who likes spur of the monent travel, early on a morning, whos card is Electronic Use Only, would not be able to get a ticket at Stourbridge Town pre-0900 on a Saturday moning unless it causes significant delay? Especially as Stourbridge Town don't have a TVM.

Eg my nan has a WMPTE issued concessionary pass and she was to go to London via Birmingham Moor Street on Chiltern would have to severely delay herself instead of being able to get the 0645 ex Stourbridge Junction direct.

34D

Established Member
So it means that someone who likes spur of the monent travel, early on a morning, whos card is Electronic Use Only, would not be able to get a ticket at Stourbridge Town pre-0900 on a Saturday moning unless it causes significant delay? Especially as Stourbridge Town don't have a TVM.

You can buy on the train in that situation (as can your nan). The meaning of 'electronic use only' was discussed on another thread (and iirc it means the can be chip/mag swiped anywhere, but not zip zapped).

WatcherZero

Established Member
I cant remember the last time I saw a card swiped, must have been five years ago.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
You can buy on the train in that situation (as can your nan). The meaning of 'electronic use only' was discussed on another thread (and iirc it means the can be chip/mag swiped anywhere, but not zip zapped).

Yep strictly speaking 'electronic use only' just means that you can't use the really old paper imprint vouchers. To be fair Electronic Use Only cards are likely to be all authorise so in reality authorising a payment onboard depends whether the guard's mobile chip and pin terminal can get a signal.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I cant remember the last time I saw a card swiped, must have been five years ago.

It still happens a fair bit, generally if the chip on the card is damaged or if the chip and pin system is down on the till. Just the other day I bought a ticket at Leeds station and the assistant had to swipe as the card reader on her till was broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.