• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Night Buses / Night Tube consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
TfL have opened the consultation on changes to the Night Bus network, with a list of proposed changes at: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/night-bus-review

The proposed frequencies for the Night Tube have also been announced:

When the weekend Night Tube service launches there will be on average six trains per hour through central London on all Night Tube lines, including the Jubilee, Victoria and most of the Piccadilly, Central and Northern lines. On the Northern line, there will be eight trains per hour to meet demand at busy stations between Leicester Square and Camden Town.

As predicted, some bus services will increase in frequency, or become 24 hours from Friday to Sunday; and some services will reduce in frequency such as the N20 which drops from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
As predicted, some bus services will increase in frequency, or become 24 hours from Friday to Sunday; and some services will reduce in frequency such as the N20 which drops from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.
I was surprised that some reductions are a lot less than I expected: e.g. N29 reducing from 18bph to 12bph (from every 3-4 mins to every 5 mins).

The new/additional weekend services are very welcome; such as W3 (every 30 mins) and W7 (every 20 mins).

Mikey C

Established Member
With Camden Town being a key destination for night time revellers, it will be interesting to see whether the overcrowding issues that affect it during the daytime cause a problem at night as well!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I was surprised that some reductions are a lot less than I expected: e.g. N29 reducing from 18bph to 12bph (from every 3-4 mins to every 5 mins).

The new/additional weekend services are very welcome; such as W3 (every 30 mins) and W7 (every 20 mins).

It appears they're being fairly cautious - the new routes use about the same resources as the reductions.

I suspect if the night tube pulls more people than expected off the buses there may be more reductions - though none below the level running on Sunday to Thursday nights- and I'd expect that to lead to more new night routes or improved frequencies on other routes.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What happens if Night Tube doesn't start in Sept? Will the bus changes still take place?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The proposed frequencies for the Night Tube have also been announced:

The Night Tube frequencies were announced some time ago; when it was also announced that the Tuppenny Tube would run to Loughton as well as Hainault.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What happens if Night Tube doesn't start in Sept? Will the bus changes still take place?

It's unlikely as the new routes are largely designed to serve stations on the Night Tube network and the reductions where the savings are being made to pay for these would end up overcrowded at certain times.

Is there a reason the Night Tube might not happen? It's not far off now - there will need to be a bit of space to work out what's happening with the buses too.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is there a reason the Night Tube might not happen? It's not far off now - there will need to be a bit of space to work out what's happening with the buses too.

The fact the pay deal has not yet been settled and the possibility of industrial action for one. The lack of station and train staff to operate the service for two. Trials are due to commence in the last week of July, running for 6 weeks up until launch date. These trials might throw up something unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.