• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
First time in ages I've had time to visit the Kings Cross lounge before my train. Is the lack of Coke now permanent?

Butts

Veteran Member
First time in ages I've had time to visit the Kings Cross lounge before my train. Is the lack of Coke now permanent?

Did your usual dealer let you down ?:E

Seriously no pop available - what did they have on offer by way of eats and drinks ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is the lack of Coke now permanent?

I've not been there in a couple months but there was mountains of the stuff there last time I went through! That being said they often seem to have at least one broken fridge so perhaps both were down that day?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Coke update: They did have it, bit it's now in the fridge just inside the door which used to be just for chargeable drinks, not on the tables with all the other drinks. The fridge there was empty (broken?).

richardderby

seems LNER have launched new menus in 1st class on their homepage,and all references to James martin have been removed. new 'signature evening meal' and also a different menu selection of food traveling north of Edinburgh.. hopefully these will be of the same (or better) standard as we are currently offered...

leightonbd

seems LNER have launched new menus in 1st class on their homepage,and all references to James martin have been removed. new 'signature evening meal' and also a different menu selection of food traveling north of Edinburgh.. hopefully these will be of the same (or better) standard as we are currently offered...

Spotted that too - all being well, I will report on the breakfast tomorrow and the dinner after Tuesday!

https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-experience/the-east-coast-standard/catering/

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Finally a Vegan breakfast option!

On alternate weeks.

Comparing the two I suspect that there's another new menu to come. The menu that expires today, for instance, also refers to "Evening Meal" rather than "Chef's Signature Menu" whilst not featuring at all the new "North of Edinburgh Menu". So I'd suggest that there may well be good news to come in the next day or two regarding a vegan breakfast option once the other rotation updates!

Beans and Hash Browns on breakfast :)

The rest of the menus look more interesting too.

Ack! They've added two things that've been missing but then taken away one thing that should be there. No more black pudding!! Still, I suppose a net gain of one item :lol:

leightonbd

upload_2019-4-29_9-31-29.jpeg

For discussion!

A personal view: nice try, but with all that ‘grease’ (not a pejorative term) I think you need the acid from the tomato to help digest it. Equally, I don’t think you should have beans and tomato: either/or.

They will never please all of us ...

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Next week for me! Looking forward to trying the new range. Looks good :) and ultimately we have to be grateful that these TOCs still make the effort!

philjo

Established Member
My Dad won't be happy. the vegetarian option is now avocado on toast with a poached egg.
Whilst he prefers poached egg - he has an intense dislike of avocado.
His preferred cooked breakfast is poached egg, tomato and mushroom. Or smoked salmon and scrambled egg which isn't served on LNER.
So I suspect he will revert back to standard class for future trips !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anybody actually like hash browns? Breakfasts should be on toast, not with toast as a separate extra.
Er no, I don't want my toast covered in beans and egg thank you I want it separate with butter. Hash browns are an excellent addition to any breakfast in my view.

takno

Established Member
Does anybody actually like hash browns? Breakfasts should be on toast, not with toast as a separate extra.
I want fried bread, but failing that I'm happy to accept hash browns, or chips. At no point is it acceptable to shovel the breakfast all over my toast. The toast is on the side for dipping in my tea

Darandio

Established Member
Breakfasts should be on toast, not with toast as a separate extra.

You couldn't be more wrong. Toast is acceptable under some scrambled egg or beans, but under a Full English?

I want fried bread, but failing that I'm happy to accept hash browns, or chips.

I have to agree, I would prefer fried bread instead of toast or some black pudding instead of a hash brown.

At no point is it acceptable to shovel the breakfast all over my toast. The toast is on the side for dipping in my tea

In your tea??? Now you've gone and made it even worse!

DeeGee

Hi folks,

Is it a two week rotation on the food menus? I'm travelling Friday 17th and am keen to know what to expect as I'm travelling with a child. Adventurous eater, but a child nonetheless, so there's some stuff he definitely won't eat...

Chrism20

Established Member
Hi folks,

Is it a two week rotation on the food menus? I'm travelling Friday 17th and am keen to know what to expect as I'm travelling with a child. Adventurous eater, but a child nonetheless, so there's some stuff he definitely won't eat...

Yes it’s usually a two week rotation.

DeeGee

Yes it’s usually a two week rotation.

Thanks. The menu for that particular journey is now up, and I'm not 100% convinced he'll go for it. That said, I'll order a couple of different meals and I can send him to the buffet, we've deliberately picked a coach that's not too far. Does contactless work on board, if so I can send him with a card and let him choose his own buffet fare.

That said, I've got an hour at Doncaster. Is there food in the lounge?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Contactless should work on board although occasionally it fails, they will usually tell you that in the announcement advertising the on board shop.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Boarded the 1809 ex Peterborough (Hull Executive) which is the 1718 from Kings Cross and one of the Chef's Signature Meal services. Plates were being tidied away but Peterborough boarders told there is no hot food. Does this apply to all of the Chef's Signature trains where you only get a hot meal if boarding in London?