• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The veggie option was poached eggs with avocado, which would probably have tempted non-veggies too. Obviously all those getting out at York would have had breakfast, and judging by the exodus there a couple of minutes ago there were quite a lot of them.
I had that last year sometime when ln an ALR, already had the full breakfast on an earlier journey and couldn't face the thought of another. The avocado thing was really nice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Well I enjoyed my sausage and mash. And the little chocolates. And of course the gin.

Having sat in both this evening, the Mark 4 seat is definitely better. Although saying that my armrest is knackered so I suspect this coach is scheduled for early withdrawal.

I agree that the Azuma head rest is just a cause of discomfort in the back of the neck.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although saying that my armrest is knackered so I suspect this coach is scheduled for early withdrawal.

I think that's just the way those seats go to be honest. They were fairly dreadful in the last year or two before Virgin refreshed the interior with loads of broken armrests and broken recline mechanisms.

westv

Established Member
I agree that the Azuma head rest is just a cause of discomfort in the back of the neck.
I'm 6' but it's not something I've noticed. I usually have the seat on full recline so not sure if that makes any difference.

Established Member
You can adjust the Azuma headrest thing. I know that it just looks like a bit of padding, but I find that it does make quite a difference if I raise it to my shoulder and head height.

The mk4 First Class seats are getting very knackered again. I'd say that one in eight reclines are broken, and you can't sit in a seat that trolleys backwards and forwards every time the train changes speed. A similar ratio of armrests are sagging away, it really wouldn't bother me to get shot of these trains sooner rather than later. My preference is very much for an Azuma now.

Food and drink? Sometimes it's great with copious topups, twice since the start of the year I've been sent away with a near full, or full, bottle of wine and a big wink from the crew. The best experience was a glass filled twice in the table closest to the kitchen in Coach M when I was travelling between Newcastle and Aberdeen, and the second topup coincidentally led to the emptying of the bottle. Shortly before Waverley a hand and arm - no body or face - appeared through the kitchen doors holding an unopened bottle of white in my direction. I took it from the arm and thanked it. Very funny, and just the sort of thing that makes you very loyal to a service and the team running it.

But sometimes it's one glass around Alnmouth and everything cleared away before Dunbar.

I'm not that fussed by the food at the moment. It's better than the VTEC James Martin dark days, but there's no feel good about it. The impression is one of them doing it because they said they would when they sold you the ticket.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
You can adjust the Azuma headrest thing. I know that it just looks like a bit of padding, but I find that it does make quite a difference if I raise it to my shoulder and head height.

The mk4 First Class seats are getting very knackered again. I'd say that one in eight reclines are broken, and you can't sit in a seat that trolleys backwards and forwards every time the train changes speed. A similar ratio of armrests are sagging away, it really wouldn't bother me to get shot of these trains sooner rather than later. My preference is very much for an Azuma now.

Food and drink? Sometimes it's great with copious topups, twice since the start of the year I've been sent away with a near full, or full, bottle of wine and a big wink from the crew. The best experience was a glass filled twice in the table closest to the kitchen in Coach M when I was travelling between Newcastle and Aberdeen, and the second topup coincidentally led to the emptying of the bottle. Shortly before Waverley a hand and arm - no body or face - appeared through the kitchen doors holding an unopened bottle of white in my direction. I took it from the arm and thanked it. Very funny, and just the sort of thing that makes you very loyal to a service and the team running it.

But sometimes it's one glass around Alnmouth and everything cleared away before Dunbar.

I'm not that fussed by the food at the moment. It's better than the VTEC James Martin dark days, but there's no feel good about it. The impression is one of them doing it because they said they would when they sold you the ticket.

When I was doing Newcastle to Inverness the crew piled us with food. However on another instance between Newcastle and Edinburgh all I got was a glass of lukewarm orange juice with everything cleared away by Morpeth.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I was doing Newcastle to Inverness the crew piled us with food. However on another instance between Newcastle and Edinburgh all I got was a glass of lukewarm orange juice with everything cleared away by Morpeth.

The Inverness catering crews are excellent. They seem to take a real pride in "their" train and making sure people have a good experience. I recall once the chef (after cooking duties were completed) was helping to serve drinks and as he was making his way down the train (and supplying liberal quantities of drinks!) provided a running commentary of interesting features out the window as he went. Another time when I was travelling with my mother I went to enjoy the fresh air from the window and when I returned found a drink on the table waiting for me my mum explained "they came around with the drinks and the host just said "oh I'm sure he'll want another when he gets back won't he?" and then just put this down here!". Excellent customer service on the Highland Chieftain always.

Newcastle to Edinburgh though, if you were going in the morning or early afternoon, you may well have got one of the dreaded London crews who have a reputation for being somewhat stingy. I usually get the best of both words as I normally go southbound in the morning with either a Scottish or Newcastle crew who are nearly always friendly and nearly always provide good service. I then go north in the evening get Scottish or Newcastle crews going home and so also usually quite jolly and generous!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The Inverness catering crews are excellent. They seem to take a real pride in "their" train and making sure people have a good experience. I recall once the chef (after cooking duties were completed) was helping to serve drinks and as he was making his way down the train (and supplying liberal quantities of drinks!) provided a running commentary of interesting features out the window as he went. Another time when I was travelling with my mother I went to enjoy the fresh air from the window and when I returned found a drink on the table waiting for me my mum explained "they came around with the drinks and the host just said "oh I'm sure he'll want another when he gets back won't he?" and then just put this down here!". Excellent customer service on the Highland Chieftain always.

Newcastle to Edinburgh though, if you were going in the morning or early afternoon, you may well have got one of the dreaded London crews who have a reputation for being somewhat stingy. I usually get the best of both words as I normally go southbound in the morning with either a Scottish or Newcastle crew who are nearly always friendly and nearly always provide good service. I then go north in the evening get Scottish or Newcastle crews going home and so also usually quite jolly and generous!

This was a service leaving Newcastle at about 5 to 8 in the evening.

I agree about the inverness crew. As we got to Aviemore we were the only people in First Class so they just told us to take what we wanted.

westv

Established Member
Serving staff wearing gloves this evening.
Edit: Although I've no idea where the coffee has got to.
Edit: Oh hang on, it's come after the second cold drinks round which came just after the dessert!
And small cartons of long life milk rather than fresh.

Last edited:

Established Member
I didn't get gloves between Newcastle and Edinburgh this afternoon, but no hot drinks and only one round of cold drinks. They couldn't clear up fast enough. I could hear other passengers moaning about the poor service.

Anyway, all a bit beside the point considering what else will be undermining their business at the moment.

NoOnesFool

I tried to get hold of it but it appears to have vanished in to "hyperspace" - the best tactic to adopt is to catch them "on the way out and the way back"

It has a lot to do with the staff member - if its the last run some will profer an extra with gentle prompting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Perhaps a sensible compromise on the drinks front would be to give one drink out on "the run" and advise passengers if they want additional supplies before the next run to go to The Cafe Bar - I would be happy with this.

That is not how it works. The drinks at the bar are retail stock and accounted for on the EPOS LOB/FOB. If these are given away then the EPOS count will be incorrect and the stock classed as missing. I don't work on LNER but I do know on other services the Host would be held accountable for this and potentially charged themselves for the stock, on assumption that they have sold it. The only way it could be given complimentary is if the Train Manager (Guard on LNER) issues a refreshment voucher (ticket) and it is put through the EPOS as a free issue. This would be impractical to do for a large number of passengers on a busy service - taking into account all the other duties a Train Manager has to fulfill.

takno

Established Member
That is not how it works. The drinks at the bar are retail stock and accounted for on the EPOS LOB/FOB. If these are given away then the EPOS count will be incorrect and the stock classed as missing. I don't work on LNER but I do know on other services the Host would be held accountable for this and potentially charged themselves for the stock, on assumption that they have sold it. The only way it could be given complimentary is if the Train Manager (Guard on LNER) issues a refreshment voucher (ticket) and it is put through the EPOS as a free issue. This would be impractical to do for a large number of passengers on a busy service - taking into account all the other duties a Train Manager has to fulfill.
Greater Anglia and Virgin XC have both managed to run their entire complimentary first class offer from the buffet/shop before now. The most robust thing to do is to scan the ticket whenever the customer comes up to the counter, bit either way there are lots of different systems for managing stock loss, and the one that's in place at the moment doesn't have to stay in place if it's getting in the way of what LNER want to achieve (although tbh I suspect they are more than happy with rationing the first class offering as they do now)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Presumably your mean East Coast rather than LNER?

Butts

Veteran Member

Blimey have you been in a coma .....that post was made SEVEN years ago !!!

I'm becoming all nostalgic for East Coast now :E

Especially the rewards scheme...

NoOnesFool

One thing that strikes me is the portion sizes of some meals seem to have decreased since the East Coast era. I think it started with Virgin, as I remember people complaining about the penny pinching. Looking at their current menu, the chilli looks especially small, compared to the size of the wallet on the table next to it! From reading the thread, it seems the portions started out small but East Coast started to increase the sizes after a year or so. Even though it is complimentary, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well. EMR charge for most meals but they do give reasonable portions. As a vegetarian, I don't think I'd be keen on the breakfast options. It seems the full Vegetarian English was replaced with a poached egg and avocado dish. That's just my personal opinion though, they cannot please everyone! I'm sure many people are happy with the current offering and the catering planners seemed to have worked hard to cater for a range of dietary requirements. Not that any food I'd being served at the moment though!

But surely "dishonest answers" can be avoided in those circumstances by asking to see the ticket. Simple, surely? You showed an All Line Rover. I'd go back to EC and make them try harder.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It does seem a little harsh. It is perfectly plausible that the passenger in question could have genuinely thought "Oh, I fancy some lunch, so I will travel a little further". On the other hand, there are probably countless people who claim to be travelling further than their destination to receive the full offer. I think a good will gesture might have been an appropriate offer from customer services, on the basis that it is likely the poster met the criteria, assuming he carried on further than York.

Butts

Veteran Member
One thing that strikes me is the portion sizes of some meals seem to have decreased since the East Coast era. I think it started with Virgin, as I remember people complaining about the penny pinching. Looking at their current menu, the chilli looks especially small, compared to the size of the wallet on the table next to it! From reading the thread, it seems the portions started out small but East Coast started to increase the sizes after a year or so. Even though it is complimentary, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well. EMR charge for most meals but they do give reasonable portions. As a vegetarian, I don't think I'd be keen on the breakfast options. It seems the full Vegetarian English was replaced with a poached egg and avocado dish. That's just my personal opinion though, they cannot please everyone! I'm sure many people are happy with the current offering and the catering planners seemed to have worked hard to cater for a range of dietary requirements. Not that any food I'd being served at the moment though!

It does seem a little harsh. It is perfectly plausible that the passenger in question could have genuinely thought "Oh, I fancy some lunch, so I will travel a little further". On the other hand, there are probably countless people who claim to be travelling further than their destination to receive the full offer. I think a good will gesture might have been an appropriate offer from customer services, on the basis that it is likely the poster met the criteria, assuming he carried on further than York.

If you have really read through the whole thread congratulations on a remarkable feat of endurance !!

As I recollect the provider be it East Coast, Virgin or LNER is only as good as the staff providing the service. Whatever the official position, it is how they interpret it or indeed ignore it, makes or breaks the journey sometimes

Largely the service has been provided by the same staff in different uniforms. Some are very generous, others are parsimonius in the extreme. From my experience the former, luckily, are more prevalent.

I have staggered off Trains in Edinburgh barely able to find my Falkirk connection when staff have pumped me full of Scotch all the way from London. On other occasions I have been sober as a Judge due to temperance minded staff failing to keep the spirits flowing.

I remember boarding at Morpeth one night and being fed a sumptious banquet of leftovers on the way up to Edinburgh. Huge cheese platters not the dairylea sized official portion.

Two of the most contentious issues you may have come across....

The Toast Famine - a recurring problem from time to time !!

Lack of Black Pudding on the East Coast Breakfast - sorted by Virgin and then removed by LNER.

Bungle73

On Moderation

What's new?​

Our three new menus mean you can enjoy a wider First Class food offer when you're travelling with LNER, even on weekends.
Instead of a weekday and a weekend menu, we've introduced Deli, Dish and Dine. Each one offering delicious, locally sourced meals, snacks and drinks to keep you fueled up for your journey.

Anyone know exactly what they are going to be offering when and on which trains? Is this the end of being able to catch pretty much any train during the week and being able to expect some kind of hot meal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Veteran Member
The Deli has a bit more than the Covid menu.

I noticed from their SM that they ran some sort of special to Lincoln and were serving a full(er) breakfast. Perhaps testing the practicalities before rollout?

Iskra

Established Member

Anyone know exactly what they are going to be offering when and on which trains? Is this the end of being able to catch pretty much any train during the week and being able to expect some kind of hot meal?
A bacon sandwich is pictured on the Deli Menu, so there is a hot offering in there at least.

Nobody apart from LNER knows the answer to your question right now, but if I were to guess I would say;

Weekends, bank holidays: Deli.
Most other services: Dish. This to me implies microwavable food prepared by customer hosts.
The pre Covid evening Northbound London meal services and some breakfast trains: Dine. I would expect this is prepared by on board chefs.

The only question mark to me is whether they have the Deli Menu available over lunch time and in the afternoon and just do the Dish menu for breakfast and evening meal, or possibly alter the arrangements for some of the longer services and shorter services such as a different offering on Lincoln services compared to Inverness.

Leisurefirst

Travelled yesterday afternoon from Edinburgh to King's Cross and was pleasantly surprised to be offered drinks in glasses including wine or beer.
Off to my 'phone I went to check what was happening.
Offered the full choice leaving Edinburgh including the two hot options on but we had just eaten some hot food as we were unaware of the changes and were just expecting the egg sarnie or chicken roll which we would have kept for later.
Therefore I asked if we could order later and was told from Newcastle.
Cue crew change at Newcastle and I ask at the next service (we fancied the bacon roll and the cheese mushroom hot ciabatta) to be told no hot options just the ham salad sandwich or the cheese & pickle roll, which we had and was incredibly unspectacular.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Nobody apart from LNER knows the answer to your question right now, but if I were to guess I would say;

But this place is full of people "in the know". I thought someone might have heard something on the grapevine.

DanNCL

Established Member
The new "Deli" menu was served on my service from Newcastle to Edinburgh a few days ago. It was the worst weekday catering offer I've ever encountered in first on LNER. The only drinks were tea, coffee and water, and the only food available were the Cheese, Tomato and Mushroom Ciabatta, Seeded Loaf Cake, Pain au Chocolat and shortbread biscuits, nothing else listed on the Deli menu was available, despite me being the only passenger in first class. Considering how much of downgrade first on an Azuma already was compared to the old fleets, this was a huge disappointment, and I certainly didn't think it was worth paying more than £5 extra than standard class for. The only redeeming feature was the friendly staff.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The new "Deli" menu was served on my service from Newcastle to Edinburgh a few days ago. It was the worst weekday catering offer I've ever encountered in first on LNER. The only drinks were tea, coffee and water, and the only food available were the Cheese, Tomato and Mushroom Ciabatta, Seeded Loaf Cake, Pain au Chocolat and shortbread biscuits, nothing else listed on the Deli menu was available, despite me being the only passenger in first class. Considering how much of downgrade first on an Azuma already was compared to the old fleets, this was a huge disappointment, and I certainly didn't think it was worth paying more than £5 extra than standard class for. The only redeeming feature was the friendly staff.
I am on the 09:00 in first and the same menu is being offered. This is a Sunday service with a fully sold out first class where passengers are paying a premium for a seat because standard class sold out earlier - the menu happenes to be a nice bonus. All because you can’t travel without a reservation on the Anglo Scots LNER services. It isn’t what it used to be but on Sundays I’m happy with it.

Fuzzytop

A tweet from LNER on 21 June gives the launch dates for Deli and Dine:

The meal offerring varys depending on the time of day. We have a number of enhancements with our Deli Menu launching on the 5th July and our Dine Menu on 16th August. Tomorrow we're reintroducing our trolley service in First Class with china, glassware and fresh tea and coffee.

I suspect weekends will be deli, as will some early/late/short trains. Still, warm rolls and Hop on Board sounds an upgrade on the usual limp aired sandwiches at weekends.