• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edinight

I'm evidently on one of the trial trains from Kings X at the moment and I've got to say, the service is a definite deterioration on what I'm used to.

After getting on 2hrs ago, I've been offered a drink once. I realised I was on the new service when my neighbour got a free glass of vino - when I noticed this (not a minute later) and asked the staff on the way up the carriage for one, I was abruptly told to wait for the next trolley run!

If you think the service will be any better, you've been sorely mistaken.

edinight

Thanks for the condescending response, I really do appreciate it.

The point was that the new spec, by nature, is inferior to that which we're used to. Simples.

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the condescending response, I really do appreciate it.

The point was that the new spec, by nature, is inferior to that which we're used to. Simples.

Where were you travelling from and to? What train was it? I'm going to be booking myself on a return trip on EC in the next few weeks to try out their breakfast service and return on the all day service. Of course there could be a number of reasons as to why it doesn't seem to be going smoothly at the moment. Sure you could have just had a bad crew (it happens although thankfully very rarely. The huge majority of staff are usually excellent. I haven't had any bad experiences with EC tbh). Perhaps the staff were not made aware at the time that they were to be trialling the new service until last minute? Could be that if this occured further up the line they may have been running low on supplies and needed to phone ahead for more (if possible)? The trouble at the moment I think is that this is a new service being offered and like all new things it can take time to bed in and get any teething problems resolved.

amcluesent

Been an several evening 'trail' services now, out of KGX. Large number of new recruits, I'd say. Plenty of manager types watching how things are going.

I foresee them having to restrict 'walk throughs' from std past the buffet and into K via that double-doored food prep. area. Having passengers milling about there isn't workable when staff are busy too - maybe also take those doors out of service?

Tea/Coffee is served pretty much pulling out of KGX.

You'd best be in K to get the 1st serving of wine, I'd say it's 35+ mins for trolley to get to the end of the train.

Sandwiches off the trolley (again in K) were there after 15 mins. I don't know if they run 3 trolleys at once into each carriage. Staff can't agree if its 2 or 3 sandwiches per passenger. Crisps are same old.

Hot orders were only appearing in quantity as we were drawing into PBO, again K seemed 1st in line

Quality of food is good, the hot meals don't have that identical 'gunk' smell of old. Can't compare to the silver-service restaurant as I never used that. The sandwiches are very fresh, wine is variable as red & white get stored together. The tub of cheesy nibbles is OK.

Staff will need the trolleys loaded identically to get dexterous in serving. Tables get quite cluttered as everyone has a laptop, then you start adding mugs, glasses, plates etc.

Staff told me they disliked asking about destination to each passenger - it doesn't matter as everyone says LDS when they realise that unlocks the booze! Yes, I'm afraid after 72 hours we all tell fibs to 'beat' the system.

Last edited:

edinight

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. I've been travelling FC twice-monthly for the last few years and recognise most of the staff, however this journey definitely seems like new-starts!

Been an several evening 'trail' services now, out of KGX. Large number of new recruits, I'd say.

I'm on the Scottish 4pm from KGX, so I'm not being offered the evening meal, instead I was given the option of one or two (three seems to have been abolished!) sandwiches, which were fresh, but seemed to be in short supply even as they got to coach L.

Captain Chaos

Staff told me they disliked asking about destination to each passenger - it doesn't matter as everyone says LDS when they realise that unlocks the booze! Yes, I'm afraid after 72 hours we all tell fibs.

Can't imagine it would be too long before the staff are asked to view destinations on tickets by management if they feel there is too much abuse going on. Although I understand the staff disliking asking in the first instance. It puts them in a rather awkard situation when telling them that although they have paid for a first class fare they are not entitled certain things.

IMO though I think the only thing that should probably be restricted by the time limit is the hot food. As you said, by Peterborough the food orders were coming out. I think 45 minutes or so is not enough time to get food in. Other than that can't see why anything else is restricted. Seems a bit OTT to me.

Essexman

Established Member
The new catering service has lost East Coast a first class passenger next week.

I'm travelling London to Bridlington, leaving middle of day both ways.

I do this journey about 3 times a year and more often than not if I can get reasonable advance fares I've normally travelled first, and enjoyed at seat lunch. The reasonable cost would be paid by my company and I'd have a choice of half a dozen good quality freshly cooked hot meals. However, I am not going to pay first class (or more precisely have the inconvenience of fixed advance tickets) when all I'll get is sandwiches and choice of one hot dish that I may well not like.

I don't want 'free' food but am happy to pay a reasonable price for a choice of good quality chef cooked meals.

bengolding

I was also on a trial run yesterday heading to Kings Cross. On my service, the hosts actually did ask to look at destinations on ticket before offering the service, as there were quite a few short distance intermediate stops en-route. Attentive service was quite poor IMO, with only 1 offering of hot drinks on departure and nothing after Grantham, not good value for money for my £180 ticket. Unfortunately, I more often than not seem to get the bad crews but hope service standards improve from next week.

silentone

*the point of the trials* are to let crews experience the new service and see how it works in practice. Things will not be plain sailing from Sunday, this is a complete new way of working.

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
Maybe the majority will prefer it but others including me were prepared to pay for a greater choice of chef cooked meals all through the day (especially if more often than not one could claim the cost on expenses).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I will just echo Blindtraveller in wishing all EC staff good luck for the weeks ahead because if silentone's posts are anything to go by their going to need it!

Personally I will be withholding judgement of the new offer for a while yet (certainly the first few weeks) simply because this is such a radical departure from what was previously done on the ECML. I am going to be traveling in first class in late June early July a few times and I look forward to seeing what the offer is like then once it's had a bit of time to bed in (though still not that much). My final decision on which system I prefer will probably come in August when my next batch of first class travel is planned because by that point the offer should surely be fairly settled.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Seems as if there might be quite a little celebration on the 19:00 to Newcastle tomorrow, the last EC with a Silver Service Restaruant. Quite a few places taken already - even one of the crew asked to come back off holiday for the event!
Lets go out in style!

(But it hardly makes up for the bitter dissapointment I heard expressed today by the Customer Services team who're loosing their jobs in July when EC takes their operation to Mumbai from Newcastle). So lets wish them all good luck for the future when we have reason to speak with them.

derek40uk

We're booked on the 09.30 Edinburgh, arriving Kings X 13.55. The shaded timetable indicates breakfast at Edinburgh and all day menu from Darlington onwards. Does anyone know if we have a choice of taking the breakfast early on or waiting until lunch for the all day offering or do we get both? Any help appreciated.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Seems as if there might be quite a little celebration on the 19:00 to Newcastle tomorrow, the last EC with a Silver Service Restaruant. Quite a few places taken already - even one of the crew asked to come back off holiday for the event!
Lets go out in style!

(But it hardly makes up for the bitter dissapointment I heard expressed today by the Customer Services team who're loosing their jobs in July when EC takes their operation to Mumbai from Newcastle). So lets wish them all good luck for the future when we have reason to speak with them.

First and foremost, that's an extreme pity. A big boo to East Coast management on this matter!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have a few questions for those who have experienced a "trial" of the new EC service, as I want to know who to go with when doing my ALR...

• How to the sandwiches compare to Virgin?
  • How does the Evening Meal (if anyone's had it) compared to an Evening Meal on a Virgin Pendolino?
  • Has anyone had the cheese platter, and if so are the cheeses the same and does it still have chutney? The restaurant cheese platter was divine!

If the cheese platter has been downgraded, I will complain to EC management! I have their e-mail address anyway, and they are very prompt at responding to comments/complaints.

Many thanks...

We're booked on the 09.30 Edinburgh, arriving Kings X 13.55. The shaded timetable indicates breakfast at Edinburgh and all day menu from Darlington onwards. Does anyone know if we have a choice of taking the breakfast early on or waiting until lunch for the all day offering or do we get both? Any help appreciated.

My understanding is you may have both but will try and find out for sure when im working over the weekend

edinight

My impression is that you'd get your breakfast offered to you before Darlo, then be offered sandwiches from the trolley as they do their runs.

amcluesent

Not sure the average 1st class passenger will know the actress EC have selected for the PR about the complimentary (but not for you, PBO scum) meals...

Is Sam Faiers' Audrey Hepburn the world's worst lookalike?

article-1388850-0C27152B00000578-126_468x686.jpg

ApAp

Lets go out in style!

Isn't the 19:03 the last service with a restaurant?

Also, what do you mean by quite a few places taken already? You can't reserve the restaurant and I even called customer relations recently to see if because of the last day of operation they may have more customers if they were taking reservations and they said no.

I'd be extremely frustrating if I get to the restaurant car with many a vacant seat still there and get told they're all reserved.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well I had the "trail" service. The day-time food of sandwiches and crisps was very much on par with Virgins, nothing that special. But there did seems to be a good selection of snacks.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Isn't the 19:03 the last service with a restaurant?
Well, Yes. It will be the last departure, though the 19:03 terminates before the 19:00, so the 19:00 to Edinburgh would still be offering service after the Leeds has terminated. (Yes, the 19:00 runs on to Edin on Fridays, tho' the kitchen crew alight at Newcastle as they do on weekdays).
Also, what do you mean by quite a few places taken already? You can't reserve the restaurant . . . .
Yes, that is always the case, with an exception for an occassion such as this.
I'd be extremely frustrating if I get to the restaurant car with many a vacant seat still there and get told they're all reserved.
I hope that doesn't happen to you. If you are hoping to dine this evening then make yourself known to the catering team ASAP.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well I had the "trail" service. The day-time food of sandwiches and crisps was very much on par with Virgins, nothing that special. But there did seems to be a good selection of snacks.

I've been very impressed by Virgin's "Light Bights" service actually, particularly as the serve it to customers travelling between Manchester and Crewe (maybe even Stoke) on a 30 minute journey! :D (just sit in Coach K ;))

I've had some delicious sandwiches such as "beef and mustard" (there was lots of beef) and "crayfish and rocket" (which was the best sandwich I think I've ever eaten). They serve the sandwiches with crisps, which surprisingly go very well together!

ApAp

Yes, that is always the case, with an exception for an occassion such as this.
I hope that doesn't happen to you. If you are hoping to dine this evening then make yourself known to the catering team ASAP.

I emailed EC customer relations months ago about reservations and I was told that's not possible.

I called customer relations a few days ago, I got the same message, tried again just now, same thing.

The restaurant on there is very busy. You have to be quick to get a seat on there most Fridays.