• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

No, but at the times I travel... ;)

But, while we're on that subject..

I am looking for a mid-day train in February from York to London, and wish to avoid a London crew. Anyone know which trains are safe to catch from York between approx 1130 & approx 1330?

And another question, anyone know if the First Class service is back to normal this Friday, 3rd January?

The 1156 and 1230 are Edinburgh crews, while the 1258 is a Newcastle crew, the 1130 and 1201 are the only London crews around that time. Normal service will not resume until Monday 6th.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Going on EC 1st class for the first time on Fri, just from Leeds to Wakefield on anytime ticket. Going to use lounges at both for first time, very excited, and wondering if there's any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey? Any recommendations of which carriage usually gets served first and so where I should sit? Thanks!

Just a tea or coffee, if its busy sit near the kitchen end, if not I dont think it will matter. Now the new station building is open at Wakefield you will have to walk the length of the platform to get to it from FC. If your train at Leeds departs from platform 6 then you will spend as much time walking as you will travelling but hope you enjoy the lounges.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB1601

Going on EC 1st class for the first time on Fri, just from Leeds to Wakefield on anytime ticket. Going to use lounges at both for first time, very excited, and wondering if there's any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey? Any recommendations of which carriage usually gets served first and so where I should sit? Thanks!

I don't think you'll get anything at all, normally on Leeds-London they start the FC service after calling at Wakefield, presumably to avoid doing it twice in 11 minutes. If you're lucky they might have started a coffee run...

johnnychips

Established Member
Very good bacon roll and coffee on way down from Donny, and on way back two enormous glasses of wine (sandwiches available but I was full). With comfortable solo seat and free wifi, really glad I decided to pay that extra for first advance.

Class377

Just booked a £29.05 single from Newcastle to Stevenage (19:06 on 31st January), was less than a fiver more than standard so I'm pleased regardless what I get. Any idea what I should expect? Their site is running slowly due to their sale starting so I can't find much on there but even a few bags of crisps and something to drink will represent value as I've got the "1" in 1+2 at a table.

boyaloud

I don't think you'll get anything at all, normally on Leeds-London they start the FC service after calling at Wakefield, presumably to avoid doing it twice in 11 minutes. If you're lucky they might have started a coffee run...

I got a cup of tea almost as soon as leaving Leeds so finished it in perfect time for Wakefield! Also got copious drinks in both Leeds + Wakefield lounges but have to say quite shocked by the "time warp" Leeds lounge, more for others than me as I am weird + love 80s pomo decor! Could have done with more snack choices - used to Virgin lounges with a plentiful offer! But I had control of TV remote + lounges to myself most of the time!

johntea

Established Member
I got a cup of tea between Darlington and York this evening (My friend donated me his advance first Newcastle to York as he had to change his plans, but I sadly had to go from Newcastle to Darlington standard class much earlier in the day so I couldn't make full use of the ticket!).

Apparently the trolley came down shortly after departing York <D

Maybe a cheeky question but the trolley was just left between the carriages containing various cans of Coke etc, would bad things have happened to me had I chose to just take one from the trolley stood there? :lol:

Also interestingly I got my cup of tea but didn't get a ticket check!

Jeremy B

What is this fascination for cheese in these menus. It seems every time we travel 1st the sandwiches always seem to be cheese with this, that & everything. Mrs B has a right strop on about about given its on the menu for our journey later today !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm have they changed recently? It was the Independent last time I got one. In my experience they are very rarely offered but if you ask one will normally appear.

westv

Established Member
Hmm have they changed recently? It was the Independent last time I got one. In my experience they are very rarely offered but if you ask one will normally appear.

It was the Times the last time I was offered one and that was months ago.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The vegetarian option?
Unless its written in the menu but not loaded on the train (as I experienced last week on the 21:00 south from Edinburgh).

I sometimes comment on the slow but progressive reduction in the offer and the service by East Coast over the past 2 years, and the 21:00 (starts at Aberdeen) is a good example. It used to provide a quick and regular service, with meals on the tables often before Dunbar and 3 trips of the trolley before Newcastle.

Now, with 2 less crew, meals are unlikely to reach the tables before Berwick, and one trip of the trolley is probably all that will be offerered in the same journey. The 'appetisers' have dissapeared, (though they took longer to die out than the chocolates, which only seemed to be on offer for a couple of months). The fruit bowl frequently only contains bananas nowadays.

By attrition, the 'complimentary offer' becomes more and more of a 'contracting offer'.

westv

Established Member
By attrition, the 'complimentary offer' becomes more and more of a 'contracting offer'.

Come the revolution 1st class travellers of the UK will storm the complimentary barricades and seize the feast from the oppressors!

leightonbd

It was the Times the last time I was offered one and that was months ago.

Thanks to all who replied.

The answer is........

The Times.
Promptly dispensed on departure from Edinburgh.

Breakfast was good. Decent bacon, sausages and omelette though the spuds were a bit tasteless.

For the connoisseurs, we were also offered a second crack at the toast/ croissant service.

All very nicely done.

So far so good!

mad_rich

Help me understand the shading on the menu.

The 1830 Northbound from King's Cross is shaded grey for King's Cross, Peterborough and Newark, indicating full evening meal. From there on, it's orange, indicating all-day menu.

Joining at PBO to NCL, can I expect the full meal? I think that's what the timetable is trying to tell me.

catlover

The 1830 Northbound from King's Cross is shaded grey for King's Cross, Peterborough and Newark, indicating full evening meal. From there on, it's orange, indicating all-day menu.

Joining at PBO to NCL, can I expect the full meal? I think that's what the timetable is trying to tell me.

Yes that is what it means

calc7

Established Member

Yes, though don't expect your order taking or a drink until after Newark (which means half an hour of watching other passengers feeding and watering); and I didn't get my dessert until Darlington once on this service (having joined at PBO).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Don't get on expecting a hot dinner, though; I've seen both the 1730 and 1830 run out of hot food just with passengers from London, everyone else being given the all-day offer.

mad_rich

I'll be pretty miffed if they've run out of Roasted rump of lamb served with dauphinoise potatoes, red cabbage and a natural jus. Accompanied with a damson jelly to complement the lamb by Peterborough. Particularly since I'll be in the next carriage in Standard, with the smell of dinner wafting through...

It's this Friday, so not hard to predict that it'll be busy!

leightonbd

I'll be pretty miffed if they've run out of Roasted rump of lamb served with dauphinoise potatoes, red cabbage and a natural jus. Accompanied with a damson jelly to complement the lamb by Peterborough. Particularly since I'll be in the next carriage in Standard, with the smell of dinner wafting through...

It's this Friday, so not hard to predict that it'll be busy!

That lamb comes out a bit tough in my experience, unfortunately.

If I understand your post correctly, and you are sitting in standard, the smell of dinner is all you are going to get, I believe, unless you BYO.

mad_rich

That lamb comes out a bit tough in my experience, unfortunately.

If I understand your post correctly, and you are sitting in standard, the smell of dinner is all you are going to get, I believe, unless you BYO.

Standard to Peterborough, the First to Newcastle. It was a decent price from Peterborough, but nothing cheap for the first bit from King's Criss.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Sometimes when that happens it is worth starting from Finsbury Park or using "via St Neots" on the search engine. It bumps you onto FCC as far as Peterborough, but seems to use the Peterborough allocation of advance fares rather than the London Kings Cross one.

I live near Finsbury Park so do that fairly often, especially coming home from Newcastle, as it's quicker to change at Stevenage or Peterborough rather than go into Kings Cross and back out.

leightonbd

Standard to Peterborough, the First to Newcastle. It was a decent price from Peterborough, but nothing cheap for the first bit from King's Criss.

Understood. Good luck getting dinner.

When I did that train in November there was a second round of the drinks trolley post Newark, and a sandwich/ drinks run after York, so, assuming the food is loaded in the first place, you should get something.

Although I must say, having read this thread before starting to use EC, I do tend to drop in to M&S at Kings Cross, just to be on the safe side.