• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

cf111

Established Member
Mushroom it is! Thanks all. Trip is tomorrow, been too long since I was on the rails.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
If you go into your account there is a search facility which shows availability.

I have previously been able to book an Evening Meal qualifying departure, however if by December you mean X-mas time that may be a different matter.

Wait for the 12 week window and get in early.

I've done that, just was going to plan a birthday treat to go upto Edinburgh in early December on the Friday (and coming back Saturday afternoon either via the East Coast or West Coast).

I wanted to try and get the hotel booked sooner rather than later (saw a travelodge in Haymarket area for £24 for the night which probably would be ideal)

Butts

Veteran Member
I've done that, just was going to plan a birthday treat to go upto Edinburgh in early December on the Friday (and coming back Saturday afternoon either via the East Coast or West Coast).

I wanted to try and get the hotel booked sooner rather than later (saw a travelodge in Haymarket area for £24 for the night which probably would be ideal)

Obviously you will be coming up on East Coast although Virgin also have a similar offering of an Evening Meal on some services.

Going back as it is a Saturday EC's catering offer is better than Virgins - also you will be able to use The Lounge in Edinburgh.

gord

Travelodge in Haymarket is quite a nice one..very quiet area too. I managed to get a good deal there last year. Sorry...a bit off topic as I didn't use East Coast first class to get there!

cf111

Established Member
Just, and I mean just, caught the 1530 EDB-KGX as the 1045 INV-EDB was an hour late due to a fault with the NRN radio. I printed my tickets at Waverley at 1527 :D.

Anyway, the mushroom package was excellent, as were the red wine and macaroon cake!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Obviously you will be coming up on East Coast although Virgin also have a similar offering of an Evening Meal on some services.

Going back as it is a Saturday EC's catering offer is better than Virgins - also you will be able to use The Lounge in Edinburgh.

Virgin Weekday First Class can wait until next year for an 1st class ALR ;)

If I don't get lucky, I can travel up earlier (on an "all-day" train), saving the evening meal trip for the ALR

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you go into your account there is a search facility which shows availability......

I've done that, just was going to plan a birthday treat to go upto Edinburgh in early December on the Friday....
In that case, you've surely got the answer, given that there are none showing availability.;)

I'd imagine demand for the 1800 on a Friday would be very high indeed.

I think you'll have to settle for the 1930 instead, which has plenty of availability for dates in October. This is an "all day" service. The 2000 is evening meal but only goes as far as Newcastle.

On the plus side, a less wedged train probably allows the staff to provide a more attentive service.

Butts

Veteran Member
In that case, you've surely got the answer, given that there are none showing availability.;)

I think you'll have to settle for the 1930 instead, which has plenty of availability for dates in October. This is an "all day" service. The 2000 is evening meal but only goes as far as Newcastle.

On the plus side, a less wedged train probably allows the staff to provide a more attentive service.
- hopefully that will manifest itself in the form of the drinks trolley rattling it's way to you on a regular basis :p

Kite159

Veteran Member

I will probably aim for an earlier train if those evening meal ones have no free seats (which seems likely), don't want to be too late into Edinburgh to get to the hotel. On the Saturday I might try and go to Aberdeen, I went through it fast on my May holiday with a 10 minute connection , so I wouldn't mind having an explore, coming back on the 14:x service to London.

But it's another month and a bit before December tickets go on sale so who knows what will happen

ssaamm

In a East Coast first class lounge, specifically Newcastle, can you just take the biscuits and drinks? They are sort of behind a counter but I have never ever seen any staff there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In a East Coast first class lounge, specifically Newcastle, can you just take the biscuits and drinks? They are sort of behind a counter but I have never ever seen any staff there.
I believe that food provided in lounges is only intended for consumption within the lounge. Likewise, food provided on trains is only intended for consumption on board.

ssaamm

I believe that food provided in lounges is only intended for consumption within the lounge. Likewise, food provided on trains is only intended for consumption on board.

Yeah, that's what I meant, can you take the food in the lounge to consume in the lounge.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, that's what I meant, can you take the food in the lounge to consume in the lounge.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the question! I'd assume so; that's the case in all other lounges I've been to.

Clip

Established Member
Have just finished the ham hock terrine from their all day menu and it was very nice indeed- recommended by Clip.

cjp

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the question! I'd assume so; that's the case in all other lounges I've been to.

FWIW
A while back at Euston I asked nicely and the ladies kindly loaded me down with biscuits, cake and a drink to stop me wasting away on the sleeper.:)

leightonbd

In KGX it's pretty much take what you want. I always walk out with a bottle of water and a couple of packets of biscuits.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In KGX it's pretty much take what you want. I always walk out with a bottle of water and a couple of packets of biscuits.

I've only ever eaten and drunk in the lounge except once when my train was announced earlier than I expected and I slipped the part-drunk bottle of water in my bag.

I'm not sure it's meant as somewhere to "load up".

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Common sense prevails normally. The key is to be reasonable. You will be fine to take a bottle of water with you, for example, but not fine to load up your backpack there.

furgus2

Following my post 4749 on 25th July, I wrote to East Coast and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your correspondence received on 29th July 2014. I’m sorry to learn you have cause to complain regarding your recent 1st Class experience with us.
I understand your disappointment in not being offered the full complimentary service advertised, as you know the journey you informed our staff you were taking was under 70 minutes; although I understand your destination point was currently unknown. Whilst I trust you were being truthful, in order to avoid dishonest answers our staff are unable to provide passengers with the full service who have already claimed to be alighting at an earlier stop.
With that being said, I am sorry to hear that you felt a member of our staff provided a low level of customer service during your journey with us.
We expect everyone representing East Coast to be polite, respectful and approachable at all times and it’s disappointing when, for whatever reason, this doesn’t happen. Staff complaints are taken very seriously …"

Butts

Veteran Member
Following my post 4749 on 25th July, I wrote to East Coast and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your correspondence received on 29th July 2014. I’m sorry to learn you have cause to complain regarding your recent 1st Class experience with us.
I understand your disappointment in not being offered the full complimentary service advertised, as you know the journey you informed our staff you were taking was under 70 minutes; although I understand your destination point was currently unknown. Whilst I trust you were being truthful, in order to avoid dishonest answers our staff are unable to provide passengers with the full service who have already claimed to be alighting at an earlier stop.
With that being said, I am sorry to hear that you felt a member of our staff provided a low level of customer service during your journey with us.
We expect everyone representing East Coast to be polite, respectful and approachable at all times and it’s disappointing when, for whatever reason, this doesn’t happen. Staff complaints are taken very seriously …"

No voucher enclosed ?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Ran that letter past an ancient Auntie who used to work in Blechley Park and this us what she highlighted on the text:

I understand your disappointment in not being offered the full complimentary service advertised, as you know the journey you informed our staff :cry:you were taking was under 70 minutes; although I understand your destination point was currently unknown. Whilst I trust you were being truthful, in order to avoid dishonest answers our staff are unable to provide passengers with the full service who have already claimed to be alighting at an earlier stop.

furgus2

No Butts, no voucher received. Just the rather bland reply which has taught me that if in future I travel on East Coast when using an ALR, if asked where I am travelling to, I might respond with the name of whatever the final destination is whether I intend to go there or not.

Butts

Veteran Member
No Butts, no voucher received. Just the rather bland reply which has taught me that if in future I travel on East Coast when using an ALR, if asked where I am travelling to, I might respond with the name of whatever the final destination is whether I intend to go there or not.

Indeed, a "white lie" would seem to be the order of the day. The advantage of your ticket is that due to it's flexibility no one could challenge your actions.

Squaddie

Telling a lie on a train in order to get something that you're not entitled to isn't really that different to fare-dodging, is it? Where do you draw the line?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Telling a lie on a train in order to get something that you're not entitled to isn't really that different to fare-dodging, is it? Where do you draw the line?

Well I was planning to go to place C, but decided to change my mind and get off earlier at B.

ModernRailways

Established Member
No voucher enclosed ?

East Coast seem to have stopped giving vouchers out willy nilly lately. It used to be the smallest thing would see you given a £5 RTV at least, but now it's a 'Yeah, we completely (don't) understand your frustration and will (not) seek to ensure our customer service is better next time.'

I don't know why but lately there seems to have been an influx of new staff and my problem is a lot of these new staff appear to only be in the job for the perks of it, not because they want to be there and it's really disappointing to see, especially on the ECML services.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I recently asked EC customer service if it was possible to book train tickets, where the journey in question involves taking a slower (but most importantly cheaper) combination of trains, as apposed to a faster direct service (where it isn't possible to filter out services by using the via or avoid functions), only for them to inform me that I was allowed to split ticket if I wished. This is despite me telling them the exact journey in mind, and highlighting the difference in price between the far more expensive, faster direct train and the far cheaper, slower alternative.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I recently asked EC customer service if it was possible to book train tickets, where the journey in question involves taking a slower (but most importantly cheaper) combination of trains, as apposed to a faster direct service (where it isn't possible to filter out services by using the via or avoid functions), only for them to inform me that I was allowed to split ticket if I wished. This is despite me telling them the exact journey in mind, and highlighting the difference in price between the far more expensive, faster direct train and the far cheaper, slower alternative.

The "calling at" function on timetables mode is your friend :)