• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

anti-pacer

Established Member
Full food service probably on departure from Leeds (though maybe York) and again with the full service after Edinburgh (journeys crossing Edinburgh qualify for two full food services). Drinks will vary on crew but on that journey I'd be surprised if the drinks trolley didn't appear at least four or so times.

In terms of menu it'll be breakfast on departure from Leeds (with tea/coffee and juices to drink) and on departure from Edinburgh it'll be the 'Rest of the Day' menu (with tea/coffee, soft drinks and alcohol).

You can find VTECs first class menus here and they go through to 22 January if you're travelling after that they will at least give you an idea what will be on offer.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I should say that I was speaking on the basis of it being a weekday. If it's a weekend then the menu will be reduced! No alcohol and no hot food being the main difference between weekday and weekend.

dave87016

Established Member
I'm travelling York - Edinburgh on the 24th january and then 0830 Edinburgh to Kings X on the 25th January ( Wednesday) the menu for that week has been put on VTEC website but that week it show's the same as the limited festive offering e.g individual wrapped stollen or pain au chocolat , yoghurt etc and no hot options at all that week is this likely to be the case or is it an error ?

I only ask because I don't fancy doing Edinburgh to London without a hot breakfast thanks for any help it's much appreciated

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm travelling York - Edinburgh on the 24th january and then 0830 Edinburgh to Kings X on the 25th January ( Wednesday) the menu for that week has been put on VTEC website but that week it show's the same as the limited festive offering e.g individual wrapped stollen or pain au chocolat , yoghurt etc and no hot options at all that week is this likely to be the case or is it an error ?

I only ask because I don't fancy doing Edinburgh to London without a hot breakfast thanks for any help it's much appreciated

It will be the normal menu back on the regular cycle. I think that's showing up like that as they have had to drop the Christmas menu into a rotation in order for it to show on the website.

I'd expect this weeks menu to be updated tomorrow after the bank holidays to show the proper menu for this week (which is probably currently showing as next weeks menu) and for the Christmas ones to be removed.

They won't be able to remove them until today's services have ran as the Christmas menu is still on today and things should be back to normal tomorrow.

dave87016

Established Member
Cheers Chris I'm relieved that il get a breakfast and with a bit of luck when they offer the all day menu after york they might offer it to all pax especially as my full trip is Edinburgh - Paignton via London both journeys on my favourite traction ( HST's)

roversfan2001

Established Member
I've seen this thing about the '70 minute rule', does this mean I'll only get snacks and drinks rather than a meal on the 1328 PBO-KGX on Friday?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That said, I used the 10:25 Newcastle to London Kings Cross a while back and the last drinks run was just after Newark North Gate. No service from Peterborough to London apart from clearing away.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes does happen from time to time but most crews in my experience do come around on departure from Peterborough.

anti-pacer

Established Member
That said, I used the 10:25 Newcastle to London Kings Cross a while back and the last drinks run was just after Newark North Gate. No service from Peterborough to London apart from clearing away.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Can you go and ask for something in that case?

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm sure you could. It was a rather unpleasant London crew who didn't seem keen on giving out an awful lot so most likely an exception.

Fortunately when I've travelled First Class on VTEC I've had a great service. When I did my ALR in April 2016 I travelled Peterborough to Wakefield, expecting to get very little, but within minutes I had been served a full meal. Drinks top-ups were that good I ended up bringing some Hop on Board Ale home with me. Another trip that week from King's Cross to Wakefield they gave me 2 cheese boards

I will look out for these surly Londoners though.

On a different note, does anyone know what the weekend offering is on VTWC? It looks very vague. How does it compare to VTEC?

BlueFox

On a different note, does anyone know what the weekend offering is on VTWC? It looks very vague. How does it compare to VTEC?

Unless West Coast have improved recently, it's nowhere near as good as East Coast. All I've had from them at the weekend is a snack box, containing crackers and other small snacks.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Fortunately when I've travelled First Class on VTEC I've had a great service. When I did my ALR in April 2016 I travelled Peterborough to Wakefield, expecting to get very little, but within minutes I had been served a full meal. Drinks top-ups were that good I ended up bringing some Hop on Board Ale home with me. Another trip that week from King's Cross to Wakefield they gave me 2 cheese boards

I will look out for these surly Londoners though.

Indeed i've had excellent service from Newcastle and Scottish crews, I think the worst was a certain Leeds crew who insisted on a minimal service then ran off as soon as we arrived at Newcastle. A very odd experience.

Weekend on VTWC the last time I had it from Manchester to Euston and back was a breakfast pastry, fruit and tea with water in the fridge, and a rather limp snackbox on return.

All Line Rover

Established Member
On a different note, does anyone know what the weekend offering is on VTWC?

One stale sandwich (think of what you'd get from a petrol station), one piece of "shortbread", one piece of chocolate and one bruised banana.

The sandwiches sold in "the shop" are equally as bad. Poor quality fillings and dry bread, but still expensive.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Off topic but to answer the last poster, I quite like the WC weekend offer, some kind of breakfast pastry with tea and coffee, OJ, coke and water then later a sarny, bicky and crisps with same drinks offer.

Canned orange juice! Why is it beyond VTWC's wit to have one bottle of concentrated orange juice and one bottle of concentrated apple juice on the tea and coffee trolley (concentrated = no need to worry about refrigeration): 75p at Waitrose, 59p at Asda, even less at trade prices?

The pastries (with a grand selection of one filling) are also pre-prepared. They are dry and full of e-numbers. There are plenty of patisseries in the North from which VTWC could source high quality pastries for the weekend offering at nominal cost, but this is also beyond VTWC's wit despite having increased weekend upgrade prices by between 33% and 100%.

Last edited:

Closet2405

Currently sat in first class headed to kings cross. The usual full first class menu is being served, although the menus for this week aren't online (all day offer is ham and mustard or egg and tomato sandwich, sausage roll, Thai curry or lamb stew, breakfast is full English, bubble and squeak or bacon roll).
I think someone said a few posts ago that the hot drinks were in cardboard cups - must have been a Christmas thing because the proper cups are back today. Very good food, staff friendly and been round more times than I expected.

Closet2405

Slightly unusual announcement from the guard as we passed Stevenage "politely reminding passengers" that the front three carriages, including exits, are first class. Mentioned that standard class tickets would be excessed to first class regardless of duration, the implication from his wording being that if standard class passengers left via a first class door they'd be charged.

I guess this is technically correct, but not something I've ever heard happen before.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Enjoyed my first hot food on VTEC today as they introduce a new marking on their menu confirming the Thai curry is vegan.

Not too bad, though a little small - but then I was served it at 1110. Although marked with a chilli I didn't taste any heat.

Established Member
The breakfast in VTECs first class are excellent and being a fully qualified chef for way too long to remember, trust me if it was of poor standard I'd say so. The chicken ceasar salad wraps are to die for too.

It's been a while since I last travelled in first but the last 2 times I have, I couldn't fault the food or service. In fact I was on a lightly loaded service from Edinburgh to Newcastle on a Sunday and because both choice of sandwiches contained smoked salmon or tuna, which I'm allergic too, which I'd politely refused on those grounds, they kept bringing more wraps and coffee.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well had a mostly good experience on The Chieftain today....

Left Kings Cross nearly 30 mins late due to incoming staff being stuck on services delayed by the fatality further up the line in the Morning.

Had the Chicken and Mushroom thingy with rice which was quite tasty if as usual a little small. However there were plenty of runs of both hot and cold drinks with other goodies to supplement the aforementioned "happy meal"

Biscuits and cake accompanied every hot drink run and I had a BLT (which was not that good) - why not do pre-packed which tend to be better :idea:

Sitting in J11 (individual seat) and I'm pleased to report that "in and out" was operating on the booze runs. I had 2 Cans of Stella and 6 Scotches (two of which I "took away" unopened)

Just to top it off we arrived into FKG over 30 mins late so I get half my money back :p

dave87016

Established Member
Thanks Butts i was going to try a BLT on the 1355 from York - Haymarket in a couple of weeks but you say its not great il give that a miss and have either sausage roll or the pasta

i had a pre packaged sandwich on VTEC on a weekend journey ( September) generous filling and very tasty aswell but the sandwiches that are served on a plate are disappointing ( when i last had them)

mildertduck

Took VTEC Edinburgh to Durham on Sunday, was offered tea and refreshments on leaving Waverley (the muffin was very nice), but didn't get a top up, unfortunately (would have rather liked one!)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Biscuits and cake accompanied every hot drink run and I had a BLT (which was not that good) - why not do pre-packed which tend to be better :idea:

i had a pre packaged sandwich on VTEC on a weekend journey ( September) generous filling and very tasty aswell but the sandwiches that are served on a plate are disappointing ( when i last had them)

I dunno why as they're the same! The weekday ones just come on a large platter for the crew to serve on plates rather than in individual packaging!

Butts

Veteran Member
I dunno why as they're the same! The weekday ones just come on a large platter for the crew to serve on plates rather than in individual packaging!

Perhaps it was just that particular batch that was duff and it was white bread. I would have chosen a Saus Roll but they were serving ex-Edinburgh and I was getting off at Falkirk so I'd noted earlier they knock the sandwiches out first.

In the past I have had much better open sandwiches on East Coast. I think the sandwich I had as part of the snack box on VWC the day before was still fresh in my mind. That was egg and ham or something and really nice.

i 've got a business related trip down to that there London in feb and when i was booking my tickets the VT sale was on , so i got First class tickets for both journeys for about what i paid for standard last time i had a similar trip to make

i'm travelling down from Newark NG about lunchtime so i presume the catering offer will be the 'all day' stuff as advertised on their website - which should save having to buy sandwich / snack / drink

my return journey is something past 9 in the evening from KGX - what , if anything am i likely to be offered other than drinks ?