• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Chrism20

Established Member
Never had a bad meal on East Midlands

I agree they are good but I think they have also put the portions on a diet tbh.

They used to do a burger a while back and it was amazing. Never could believe that it had came out of a train kitchen it was that nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gaz_t

Not a major issue but just wondering why at weekends in First Class the menu is drastically reduced , especially the breakfast menu.Travelled on a Friday last year and loved the cooked brekkie but this year its a Sunday trip so its a good thing I,m having a "proper" breakfast in the hotel beforehand. :(

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, historically, the fares charged on a weekend in first tended to be lower (and so did demand for that matter) so it wasn't worth their while providing the staff/materials/etc to run a full catering service. Of course these days there is often little difference in price between a weekday and a weekend so that justification is probably a bit more tenuous.

I certainly think that on the morning they could at least do the bacon roll and porridge (for those of the non-meat persuasion) even if they couldn't stretch to the full breakfast service. Again value added to the 'product' would be significant and the marginal cost not exactly huge.

Chrism20

Established Member
WEEK 1 (This week)

BREAKFAST

Great British grill
Bubble & Cheesy Squeak
Bacon roll
Porridge

REST OF THE DAY

Hoisin duck wrap
Extra egg & rocket sandwich
Gourmet sausage roll
Mediterranean chicken with parsley potatoes
Mac & Cheese
Lemon & poppyseed muffin

EVENING MEAL

As rest of the day with

Hake with crushed potatoes in a tomato and chive butter sauce
Lemon cheesecake
Harrogate blue & Mull of Kintyre cheddar

WEEK 2

BREAKFAST

As week 1 but with Greek yoghurt with muesli and apple &a pear compote

REST OF THE DAY

Cream cheese & roasted peppers sandwich
Chicken masala wrap
Gourmet sausage roll
Moroccan lamb with cous cous
Courgette & leek risotto
Chocolate & hazelnut cake

EVENING MEAL

As rest of the day with

Chicken supreme with baby potatoes and vine tomatoes
Chocolate, raspberry & pistachio tart
Yorkshire blue & Mull of Kintyre cheddar

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm probably just being dense and uncultured but what on earth is Hale? Is that a typo for Hake? If so, I'm glad fish is still on the menu for the evening meal service as I've always found that VTEC and EC before them do a good bit of fish. Always excellent.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm probably just being dense and uncultured but what on earth is Hale? Is that a typo for Hake? If so, I'm glad fish is still on the menu for the evening meal service as I've always found that VTEC and EC before them do a good bit of fish. Always excellent.

Oops! Yes it's hake, have sorted it now

VauxhallandI

Established Member
My brother is travelling Waverley to KGX on Bank Holiday Monday 15:30 service.

Does anyone know what catering he will receive?

Is there a normal weekday service and if so will he get the evening meal or just the poor daytime stuff?

Chrism20

Established Member
My brother is travelling Waverley to KGX on Bank Holiday Monday 15:30 service.

Does anyone know what catering he will receive?

Is there a normal weekday service and if so will he get the evening meal or just the poor daytime stuff?

Bank holidays is the weekend menu which should be

Cream cheese and pepper sandwich
Chicken masala wrap
Popcorn
Chocolate & Hazelnut cake

No booze according to the website.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also worth noting that the Evening Meal service is never provided on departures from anywhere other than Kings Cross. There would usually be hot food on the 1530 from Waverley but never the Evening Meal.

furgus2

I've not sampled the new menu but I travelled on the 07.55 from Inverness as far as Edinburgh this morning and I can honestly say it was the worst breakfast I've ever had on a train. Now, I'm not criticising the crew who did work hard throughout the journey but one told a passenger that they were short staffed and there was no chef on board. This, of course, meant no fried eggs.
So, the breakfast arrives with the cheese soufflé which I can't eat because cheese is a no no for me plus I don't like black pudding. What's left? Well, firstly the bacon which appeared to have been heated rather than grilled or fried and had a very insipid texture. I ate just a little of it. The sausage: fine. The tomato: fine. Finally, the large flat mushroom which was the toughest one I'd ever tried to eat. With it upside down on the plate, as I tried to cut it, the outer skin proved impossible to actually cut. I know this sounds implausible but it's true. It was all very peculiar.
Lastly, only one slice of toast was offered for the duration of the journey which seemed a bit mean but on the plus side, there were 4, maybe 5, offers of hot drinks and two runs of cold drinks. As I said, the crew did work really hard but the lack of a chef meant the quality of food was poor.

I see the food has been downgraded on the Virgin East Coast again. First class used to be a pleasurable experience with breakfast or dinner purchasable at not-too-expensive a cost. Then it became 'free' fine dining. Then it became miniscule portions. Last night there was no hot food and I discovered the latest penny-pinching wheeze is to pre-pack 2 sandwiches - before you could say you wanted, 1,2,3 or 4 sandwiches.
Privatisation was supposed to improve the travelling experience (no more curly sandwiches was the mantra) but with the accountants running the show everything is done to reduce costs and destroy rail travel as a pleasant start/end to the day
:(:(:(:(:(:(

al78

Established Member
In my recent experience of Virgin East Coast first class I was very underwhelmed with the lunch offer. It looked ok(ish) on the menu, but the sandwich when it came looked to be about the size of a postage stamp, so I didn't bother with it (neither did the woman sat opposite me) and just ate some of my own food instead. The regular offer of drinks is nice although they are slow to clear away used crockery. My opinion is that first class is more comfortable than standard, but I don't think it is worth paying full price for, it is worth it if a first advance is available, or you can get a weekend upgrade for £15 on a crowded service. The onboard WiFi is useable, just, as long as you don't do anything more intensive than check your e-mail (which is not surprising, given everyone else has access to it, paid for or not).

Alan2603

I travel between London and Northallerton/York (or occasionally Leeds) and return two or three times a week in 1st class. The only meal worth having nowadays is the cooked 'Great British Breakfast' or, if you are lucky enough to travel on one of the few 'evening meal' trains, the cooked evening meal when heading north from Kings Cross.

The daytime offering is hardly worth bothering about, much like their weekend offerings.

However, of late when travelling south in coach L on a morning, on a fair few occasions the 'Great British Breakfast' has already run out of stock by the time the staff take your order (just south of York on most southbound services). So half of Coach L and all Coach M are offered a bacon sandwich instead (and when they run out, porridge only)!.

With having to drive at whichever end I am travelling to, I don't bother with the complimentary alcoholic drinks, but I have noticed that the drinks trolley can be a once only event between London/York and vice versa nowadays. It used to trundle regularly up and down the aisle.

I must say though, these shortfalls are not down to the very hard working staff onboard the trains. More a failure of the management of Virgin East Coast. I have written personally to both Stagecoach head office and Branson's UK office to point out these shortfalls but, unsurprisingly, not received any response. I am sure they are aware of what is happening, but have no wish to improve the service.

There is another thread on this forum about Stagecoach losing money on the East Coast franchise and I do think the cracks in service due to this are already appearing. There also seems to be more trains being 'short formed' with 8 instead of 9 carriages of late, as well as disabled toilets either in first or standard not being available.

I would try to travel more often with Grand Central, however in times of disruption their 'fall back' is to crowd people onto already busy VTEC trains, so the chances of getting a seat, even in first class, are often slim and I do not relish standing for two and a half hours between London and Northallerton or vice versa.

So, I am really a 'captive' VTEC customer and pay rather a lot for the privilege of a worsening service, particularly in 1st class on their trains.

Sorry if this appears rather as a rant. It is not intended to be, just my appraisal of the current state of 1st class on VTEC.

Still, only two more years until I retire and it cannot come a day too soon travel wise.

Alan.

Mainliner

I agree with the earlier comments - there was also no hot food on the evening train I caught from Kings Cross 2 nights ago, and there's frequently no trolley service in standard, so it simply can't be relied upon, and if you want to be sure of having a meal you just have to self-cater. I get a hot takeaway from one of the many outlets around King Cross - infinitely greater choice than on the train, as much as you want, etc. (Having done so recently, and having ended up standing in first class on a rammed train due to some incident, it was amusing to be the only person eating a hot meal in first class!)

Having said that, I'm still happy to use the (standard) service (NCL-KGX) every week because I can travel off-peak and book months ahead, and at those prices, food apart, it's still good value for that distance. When I occasionally need to travel down the night before, I used to go first class, mainly for the food, but it just isn't worth the extra cost now (for a sandwich or sausage roll, seriously?!), so takeaways it is, from NCL too.

It's not the kind of custom that VTEC will make much money on, but with the dwindling and erratic availability of the first class food offering, not uncommon delays with wires down, etc, I can't see a bright future for VTEC in terms of attracting more business customers paying the expensive full fares, so I'm not at all surprised that revenue is below expectations.

(As an alternative to travelling down the night before and paying for a hotel, I've been known to head north to Edinburgh a few times, to catch the lowland sleeper. Nice lounge, better food (and drink!) choice, and I'll be interested to sample the new trains when they arrive, although I expect the cost will be another level.)

Last edited:

Established Member
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144658

This thread echoes a lot of what's being said here.

I've reposted my contribution to it from mid-May, not because I want to repeat myself but because I should add that the food itself was actually okay, although I can't remember what I had. Maybe it has got worse since then, my work patterns at the moment mean that I'm on VTEC far less than I used to be. Just as well by the looks of things...

Very unsatisfactory.

I travelled in First on a nameless evening northbound service one evening recently. The crew were doing their best but it was pretty ropey to be honest.

The drinks trolley was brought along initially by the Train Manager after she'd checked First Class tickets. She was extremely pleasant but didn't have a clue about any of their stock. She then vanished for an extended period to look at Standard tickets, so no more booze for an hour or so, although someone else appeared with the trolley later. The glasses have got quite a bit smaller, it's almost like they're sending out a message to say that generosity has been cancelled.

The meal service seemed to be very hurried to the extent that the man across the aisle had his dinner completely forgotten about. He had to remind them after everyone else had been served. He wasn't that bothered and it was all resolved with good humour, but it wasn't great. He seemed to be regular in the know about the changes because he then went on to have a conversation with a couple about how hit and miss service had become recently.

It all felt like they're interested in screwing down on the costs and little else. Let's hope that they don't continue to search for more economies or it really will become quite poor.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I traveled first class on VTEC between Doncaster and Leeds today - needless to say not even a cup of tea was offered despite the departure screen at Donny stating a first class complimentary offer was available.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Privatisation was supposed to improve the travelling experience (no more curly sandwiches was the mantra) but with the accountants running the show everything is done to reduce costs and destroy rail travel as a pleasant start/end to the day
:(:(:(:(:(:(

What alternative profession would you have 'running the show'?

westv

Established Member
I traveled first class on VTEC between Doncaster and Leeds today - needless to say not even a cup of tea was offered despite the departure screen at Donny stating a first class complimentary offer was available.

This evening my Moroccan lamb was tasty and the tart that followed gave me great pleasure.:D

johnnychips

Established Member
A problem seems to be its inconsistency. Booked an evening-time first advance from Norwich to Donny a couple of months back because it was only £7 dearer than standard and fancied a comfy seat, but was pleasantly surprised to get an excellent plate of spagbol and a large glass of wine served immediately after Peterborough, and then another glass after Grantham.

On the other hand, I have been on trains where a meal is expected and sandwiches arrive instead, or the drinks trolley takes ages to arrive. The 'complimentary' nature of the offer confuses people too.

At least on a long haul plane you know you will get a meal (I happen to like them ��) but the hit-and-miss nature of VTEC must annoy, and more pertinently, put people off travelling in first, especially full-price business travellers who could take a plane from Newcastle or Edinburgh - you know you will get a snack and a drink, so take that or eat before if hungry.

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
When I did my ALR in April 2016, I found VTEC's First Class service to be great. Quick, attentive, plentiful and full stock available.

It sounds like it's gone right downhill.

ScotTrains

I travelled South from Edinburgh a month a go. It was evening time and had expected hot food, so hadn't eaten beforehand. Nothing came. Once we were near Morpeth I went up and asked about the hot food. The staff were friendly and apologetic but said the food had unfortunately run out before the train even arrived in Edinburgh (It had originated in Aberdeen)! They gave me some sandwiches to keep me going. Many others in the carriage were unhappy about the lack of hot food too. This isn't the first time it's happened with East coast. I don't think it's ever happened to me on the west coast.

Last edited: