• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A combination of both? There is a chef on board.

Yes I believe it's a mix of both.

Breakfast services (the majority of which have a chef) I believe prepare food from scratch on board. Rest of the day services I believe it's reheating stuff in the ovens and then plating it up. The Signature Menu (Evening Meal trains in old money) I think will be a mixture. I thing the signature dish (the one that's exclusive to the menu) is prepared fresh but the other items (which appear on the equivalent rest of the day) are prepared in the oven.

I am, however, most certainly open to correction on that!

Butts

Veteran Member
I still can't comprehend why they dispensed with the black pudding on the breakfast service. However I am doing an Edinburgh and Newcastle Return on Wednesday and if the Scotch is free flowing on the return I may find it in my heart to forgive them.

Nationalised Companies seem to have it in for BP, as I recall it was only when Virgin took over from East Coast it appeared.

route101

Established Member
I still can't comprehend why they dispensed with the black pudding on the breakfast service. However I am doing an Edinburgh and Newcastle Return on Wednesday and if the Scotch is free flowing on the return I may find it in my heart to forgive them.

Nationalised Companies seem to have it in for BP, as I recall it was only when Virgin took over from East Coast it appeared.

I loved the black pudding too .

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it's purely down to it being very marmite like. People either seem to love it or they properly hate it. I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who's gone "meh" at the idea of black pudding with their breakfast. So presumably when they considered how to revamp it they felt that introducing beans and a hashbrown whilst taking away the black pudding was overall a winner (whilst not massively increasing the cost per plate).

Personally whilst I do like black pudding with a full breakfast I still think that the breakfast that LNER are now serving is very good.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think it's purely down to it being very marmite like. People either seem to love it or they properly hate it. I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who's gone "meh" at the idea of black pudding with their breakfast. So presumably when they considered how to revamp it they felt that introducing beans and a hashbrown whilst taking away the black pudding was overall a winner (whilst not massively increasing the cost per plate).

Personally whilst I do like black pudding with a full breakfast I still think that the breakfast that LNER are now serving is very good.

Very fair comment - LNE breakfast is very good , though you have to make your toast requirements known ! (personally hate black pudding , but good for "iron" etc)

Butts

Veteran Member
Very fair comment - LNE breakfast is very good , though you have to make your toast requirements known ! (personally hate black pudding , but good for "iron" etc)

Forgive my ignorance, but if toasts not served from a trolley as it used to be, do they not ask if you want any when taking the breakfast order ? Also how do they serve the orange juice as that used to often be on the same trolley ?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance, but if toasts not served from a trolley as it used to be, do they not ask if you want any when taking the breakfast order ? Also how do they serve the orange juice as that used to often be on the same trolley ?

Does not come automatically in my experience recently - you have to ask for it !

Veteran Member
Does not come automatically in my experience recently - you have to ask for it !
Last Thursday, 0845 LDS: one slice toast with (aka on top of) the breakfast (which was missing the mushroom this time). Azuma menu says toast and jam to follow, doesnt mention fruit juice. Dìshes plated in kitchen so lukewarm on arrival. Not over impressed.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I had the breakfast recently; very nice. Having read this thread I ordered the toast to make sure. I think they may have forgotten, but when I reminded them they brought me two slices nice and hot, one white one brown.

JModulo

I travel FC with LNER from time to time whenever I'm planning a day away, however a few times recently if I get a mid morning departure from Edinburgh I've came across the situation where staff offer either breakfast OR lunch. Due to the diagram of the train I usually get theres several crew changes anyway, so you can actually have both. Whats other peoples view on this as the train does get stocked up en route?

leightonbd

I travel FC with LNER from time to time whenever I'm planning a day away, however a few times recently if I get a mid morning departure from Edinburgh I've came across the situation where staff offer either breakfast OR lunch. Due to the diagram of the train I usually get theres several crew changes anyway, so you can actually have both. Whats other peoples view on this as the train does get stocked up en route?

I think it’s meant to be either/or; in my experience (northbound) crew ask ‘do you want breakfast now or lunch later’. Maybe crew change isn’t such an issue in that direction with the long run to York as first stop.

Big Tim

Just back from a York - Dundee trip. Brief account of how it went:

Outbound - York - Dundee. 0736 (ex Leeds 07.10) - Friday 6th September.

Train arrived on time at York. On boarding I immediately realised it was the tired old ex-EMT set, which was confirmed by the friendly chap who quickly came round to greet me and offer the reduced breakfast menu. No wi-fi (throughout), and therefore no electronic seat reservations. Breakfast offered was either bacon roll / porridge / "light breakfast" (apparently crossaint and yogurt). No toast(!) which would have certainly upset a fair few forum users! Order placed for the bacon roll as we traversed north past the NRM - coffee served shortly after - overheard staff member reiterating the talk of this being the former EMT set to other passengers, and apparently it was supposed to have been pensioned off a couple of months earlier, but had been hastily drafted in due to an issue with the booked set.

We rolled in and out of Darlington about 5 minutes down, and no sustenance had arrived - a further pour of coffee offered nearing Durham, and the aforementioned breakfast orders appeared. Sadly, the bacon roll was the most pathetic I have ever had the misfortune to consume on the UK rail network. What appeared to be a "long-life" catering bread roll was presented to me with a solitary rasher of bacon inside it. No spread/butter - although the sachet of brown sauce did add a little moisture to this dry offering. I noted that most in the coach (M) had opted for the only carnivorous option,so perhaps some rationing had taken place, given there was little else up for grabs. Another coffee / juice run north of Newcastle was offered (with food for newcomers), prior to crockery being gathered around about Berwick. I cannot fault the crew - they were all great - and clearly as frustrated as passengers having to put up with what (in my opinion) is now an antiquated set (Coach M looked sorry for itself - while reasonably clean, the seats are looking tired - headrests in many places are either missing or hanging from threads, and many seats refuse to lock into the upright position, meaning you are slumped down). No wi-fi, a severely reduced complimentary offering, no seat reservations (particularly annoying for those boarding north of Darlington - this was not a lightly loaded service, so seats weren't easy come by), toilet facilities which are somewhat outdated (drawing water from a footpump into a basin for handwashing) does not constitute a decent first class service.

North of Edinburgh (we were now about 15 minutes down, mainly owing to matters outwith control of LNER owing to a malfunctioning level crossing in Northumberland), there was a crew change. First class was still reasonably well loaded - a further complimentary offering was available on departure of Inverkeithing. Declining the sole hot option of (another) bacon roll, I went for the smoked salmon sandwich, declined the crisps, and accepted the cake, along with a g&t - the drinks trolley following soon after - the lady dealing with food was friendly and enthusiastic, while the lady in charge of drinks was less so. A passenger further down the carriage was loudly refused a second drink - the explanation being "one drink only from the trolley at a time". My sandwich was pleasant enough, albeit slightly dry, but a good size and filling enough for lunch on the move, and the cake very nice indeed. Arrived at Dundee 23 minutes late, and was bid a cheery goodbye from the guard as I stepped off the train. (Side-note, no ticket inspection on this occasion after departure from York until we were north of the Forth Bridge).

Returned today (11/09) on the 11.07 from Dundee (ex 09.52 from Aberdeen). Train arrived on time and got seated without issue in "M". Before we had even got to the Tay Bridge, one of the first class hosts approached and offered a bacon roll - which took me by surprise - as it was immediately put in front of me, rather than awaiting a further visit from the kitchen. Very tasty, and much more substantial than that presented on the outward leg. A bit of a wait for the drinks trolley, with coffee served after Leuchars (apparently there had been a hold up in "L" with a ladies fiftieth birthday gathering causing excitement for passengers and staff alike). Service wound down until after Edinburgh with crockery gathered in around Kirkcaldy.

Lunch orders taken ten minutes after departure from Waverley. Fishcakes appeared to be the favoured option for most (they looked and smelt good!), but I went for the Ricotta & Asparagus Canneloni. No menus on the tables, so the crew had to relate the options to most passengers. (I had already had a quick look on the LNER website whilst killing time at the station). Meal was pleasant enough, and filled a gap for lunch, but would have required something else for a main (evening) meal. Crisps and cake offered, but declined. Took a G&T from the drinks trolley around about Grantshouse, just before the meals arrived close to Berwick. Further drinks run south of Newcastle - and a bonus run after Darlington (which is, in my experience, unusual), with a G&T eagerly guzzled on each occasion! Arrival on time at York just before 3pm, with excellent service throughout, fully functioning wi-fi / plug sockets etc). Definitely two contrasting journies, but the one consistency of the offering was that the staff were - on the whole - great on both legs.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I was on the 0656 ex Edinburgh to Newcastle this morning.

On leaving Edinburgh they came around with a trolley taking the orders for Breakfasts and Toast. I ordered two bits of wholegrain and a side plate was positioned on my table along with the preserves and axle grease.

Shortly after another trolley appeared with the coffee/tea and orange juice.

Unfortunately the toast appeared a good 10 minutes before the hot offering, which didn't appear for at least 40 minutes after the order was taken - normally a lot quicker from past experience.

The Black Pudding is sorely missed.....however it was not that bad.

A further round of Coffee prior to arrival in Newcastle

Returned on the 1345 ex Newcastle to Edinburgh

We had a menu for all the use it was - not hot offering at all Summer Chicken Casserole, Canneloni and Fishcakes nowhere to be seen - stock exhausted. To add insult to injury there were no Beef Sandwiches all they had was the "Vegan Summer Garden Wrap" Treacle Muffin with a creamy filling advertised as the pudding was just a cake - I'd already chored one from the Lounge in Edinburgh prior to my outward departure.

However the situation was somewhat ameliorated by the provision of 4 of Arthur Bell & Sons Scotches between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Occupied a "4" to myself in K up and down - virtually empty both journeys.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Took the 0830 down to York this morning. A 91 set with lightish loadings in 1st class. (at best 25%)

So we ordered toast with the full breakfast. Plate dropped down for same and got 1 slice of brown with the butter. No more offered. hot drink around about Hatfield , and main breakfast served at the approach to PBO - OK ,but toast was long gone by then. No black pudding but "silver served" baked beans. 2 more coffee runs - but noted a half full tray of cold toast dropped in the staff area. Probably ended up in the bin - what an utter waste. This could easily have been re-offered during the main eating period. No free "Times" offered either. (but you could grab one) - the staff were welcoming , friendly and cheerful.

My companion mentioned that a crack BR crew - say those based at Swansea would have been very much slicker and brisker with hot drinks pretty much served on departure and a hot offer well before the first call - trains that called at Didcot on the up were able to offer a full breakfast in the 68 or so miles. - and the chap we were visiting - a senior ECML manager for a good number of years - his flagship up Yorkshire Pullman served 240 breakfast sittings - (some at second service) , admittedly with 2 kitchens to assist.

Darandio

Established Member
You have the option to not eat it if the idea of vegetables offend you so much. They're not going to force-feed you a vegan wrap.

Bit rubbish when it's the only thing available. Imagine the Vegan outrage if the only thing available was Roast Beef.

BlueFox

Bit rubbish when it's the only thing available.

I don't see the problem.
Meat eaters eat vegan food all the time. Often on the same plate as their meat.

Imagine the Vegan outrage if the only thing available was Roast Beef.

The last two occasions I travelled in first class (Virgin WC), they didn't have any of the vegetarian options. No outrage. I had crisps instead.

Darandio

Established Member
I don't see the problem.
Meat eaters eat vegan food all the time. Often on the same plate as their meat.

Maybe it's just me then but i've never had a spinach wrap containing a courgette fritter alongside my steak.

Aictos

Established Member
I was using LNER earlier and I recommend the Roast Beef and Horse Radish sandwiches! So yummy plus the free whiskys went down a treat!