• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

takno

Established Member
I took my daughter to Edinburgh last week from York and was toying with the idea of upgrading to first for a treat, but when I looked at the catering, it seemed particularly poor value for money. Extra £40 or so (pretty much the same via Seatfrog too) for a bacon sarnie and a couple of cups of tea. Nah thanks.
The upgrade is for the more comfortable seat and environment. If the upgrade barely covered the cost of the food it wouldn't be worth them offering it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Still just the Deli menu on the 1818 out of Kings Cross seems safe to assume that there's no new menus just yet!

Had the ciabatta for the first time tonight though I I thought it was excellent. Good size, plenty of filling and whilst I suspect it was just warmed up in the oven it was still nice and tasty. I have to say I'm liking the Deli menu as the seeming "base" menu for LNER. Particularly now that they've started to admit that maybe they should offer better stuff on the weekends too.

But it's about time they brought back something more substantial for the breakfast services and those that are at a more traditional dinner time. My ciabatta would make an excellent lunch item. It's great if you want something a bit lighter at dinner time (like I did as I'd planned on the basis of there being no proper meal). But clearly not up to snuff for dinner!

Monkeyhead

The upgrade is for the more comfortable seat and environment. If the upgrade barely covered the cost of the food it wouldn't be worth them offering it
It's not really that more a comfortable seat though is it (without starting the seat debate off). On the Mk4's, there was a marked difference in the standard seats to the leather ones in first. To be, the environment in First on an Azuma isn't wildly different from standard. When they were doing proper meals, then as a package, it became worth it (to me at least). I appreciate other opinions may vary

takno

Established Member
It's not really that more a comfortable seat though is it (without starting the seat debate off). On the Mk4's, there was a marked difference in the standard seats to the leather ones in first. To be, the environment in First on an Azuma isn't wildly different from standard. When they were doing proper meals, then as a package, it became worth it (to me at least). I appreciate other opinions may vary
Again without wanting to start the debate up, and fully accepting that the seats in both classes are inferior to their predecessors, the the new first class seat is far better than the new second class seat. The seat and general slight noise reductions are the exclusive reasons for me to upgrade, and I'd pay 40% to upgrade to it even if there were no refreshments at all.

westv

Established Member
The major thing the 1st class seat has over standard is the ability to recline.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Wel, I was hoping there might be some sort of update, either on their website, or on here, today, but nothing. And I'm travelling next week. :frown:

Bungle73

On Moderation
I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably only going to be offered what is already showing. Anyone had the tart? What's it like? Is it only the tart or does it come with a bit of salad or something?

At least I'll be able to have my usual glass of beer or wine.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably only going to be offered what is already showing. Anyone had the tart? What's it like? Is it only the tart or does it come with a bit of salad or something?
I've not had it but I'd be surprised if it was anything other than than the tart. LNER haven't even gotten back to using plates and cutlery yet (proper glasses and cups are back though)!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've not had it but I'd be surprised if it was anything other than than the tart. LNER haven't even gotten back to using plates and cutlery yet (proper glasses and cups are back though)!
Oh, ok thanks. I was just thinking about what I was going to chose. Maybe I'll just stick with one of the sandwiches. Not sure why they're being so slow in bringing the rest in. I requested an update on Twitter this morning after they requested questions and queries and they didn't answer.

takno

Established Member
Last time they surveyed me there were endless pictures of some grim-looking Virgin-red crockery which they wanted to roll out to first class, just to dispel any notions that they were in any way classy. I wonder if they're delaying the relaunch of food while they wait for something sufficiently nasty to serve it on

westv

Established Member
Last time they surveyed me there were endless pictures of some grim-looking Virgin-red crockery which they wanted to roll out to first class, just to dispel any notions that they were in any way classy. I wonder if they're delaying the relaunch of food while they wait for something sufficiently nasty to serve it on
And perhaps the plates are going to be even smaller!

Bungle73

On Moderation
Now they're saying "later in the autumn" (whatever that means). I'm beginning to think they have no intention of ever introducing them.

Big Tim

Apologies for the poor photography skills!

The menu today on the southbound 0952 from Aberdeen

New sandwich fillings, a poached egg dish and a few more bakery offerings seemingly

Also notice Budvar lager is on the alcohol list, no cider or spirits listed

Bacon roll served on a plate now rather than the insulated bag which has been in place since catering returned

Attachments

• C916654F-C4B4-4832-BABB-D577C526FB36.jpeg
    C916654F-C4B4-4832-BABB-D577C526FB36.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 108

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

New sandwich fillings, a poached egg dish and a few more bakery offerings seemingly

Bacon roll served on a plate now rather than the insulated bag which has been in place since catering returned
Oh! That's one of the new menus! They've only been serving the 'Deli' menu so far and that's proclaiming itself to the 'Dish' menu.

Big Tim

Oh! That's one of the new menus! They've only been serving the 'Deli' menu so far and that's proclaiming itself to the 'Dish' menu.
I didn’t notice that … but I guess that explains the additional options and what to expect. Whether it’s a trial on this service I don’t know, or if we’ll see a rollout across more services

Butts

Veteran Member

Apart from these omissions it looks okay to me - especially as they have not jacked the prices up Avanti Style !!

Big Tim

Quick update
As yet no passes of alcoholic or soft drinks whatsoever (excepting orange juice or water north of Edinburgh for anyone wanting a cold drink). Seen the hot drinks trolley at least 3 times though

Other than a pass of hot drinks and orders taken for food between Dunbar and Berwick, not much forthcoming to those who joined at Edinburgh

To redress the balance slightly I did hear the chap offering food after the Edinburgh crew change mention he hadn’t been aware of this new menu and it’s appeared as something of a surprise

*edit* cold drinks just appeared literally as I posted (I’m in a low numbered seat in coach L so one of the first to get service)

Last edited:

Big Tim

Apart from these omissions it looks okay to me - especially as they have not jacked the prices up Avanti Style !!
I’d already put a few cans of cider in my rucksack before I set off. But I do miss a nice g&t or scotch & ginger ale on a four hour run!

greyman42

Established Member
Whether people like it or not, the seat (comfort) is probably the main reason for going first class. At present, the only difference between standard and first is that first is a bit wider. Both are uncomfortable.

takno

Established Member
Whether people like it or not, the seat (comfort) is probably the main reason for going first class. At present, the only difference between standard and first is that first is a bit wider. Both are uncomfortable.
The seat in first also tips back. The main issue with the seats on standard is that the bolt-upright.seat-back doesn't offer any support at all. The seats in first are much better, they are just still a bit hard, and aren't leather, the appeal of which has always been a bit of a mystery to me anyway

greyman42

Established Member
The seat in first also tips back. The main issue with the seats on standard is that the bolt-upright.seat-back doesn't offer any support at all. The seats in first are much better, they are just still a bit hard, and aren't leather, the appeal of which has always been a bit of a mystery to me anyway
The seats are more than a bit hard and that is the problem with them, regardless of recline. If they were leather it would make no difference to their lack of comfort.

Stormaggeddon

The seats are more than a bit hard and that is the problem with them, regardless of recline. If they were leather it would make no difference to their lack of comfort.
I find the head cushion pushes my neck out at a strange angle, but by removing it and using as a "booster cushion" it lessens both the hard seat and neck issue. They're only held on with a strip of velcro so fairly easy to do. Just have to make sure to put it back when alighting.

Butts

Veteran Member

Would you say the final GWR refurbished HST 1st Class was superior to these "Ironing Boards on Rails" ?