• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've managed to book one of the very few tables of 2 on a journey in January coming back from Edinburgh with a family member which will hopefully make it better than being on a table of 4 on what could be a busy train [reduced service due to the Cambridge diverts].

I guess there is nothing LNER can probably do about the lack of tables for 2 in 1st class now, probably is what was decided by the DFT when they specced the trains up to have so many single airline style seats. Great for a solo passenger, not so great for groups of 2.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what they have done with the First Class lounge at Edinburgh which I've heard has been refurbished recently

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I've managed to book one of the very few tables of 2 on a journey in January coming back from Edinburgh with a family member which will hopefully make it better than being on a table of 4 on what could be a busy train [reduced service due to the Cambridge diverts].

I guess there is nothing LNER can probably do about the lack of tables for 2 in 1st class now, probably is what was decided by the DFT when they specced the trains up to have so many single airline style seats. Great for a solo passenger, not so great for groups of 2.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what they have done with the First Class lounge at Edinburgh which I've heard has been refurbished recently

Don't get to excited - according to the website it's Tea,Coffee,Orange Juice,Water and Biscuits.

What happened to The Crisps, Fruit and Cans of Pop ? - Must have been Virgin Days.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
LNER's website now tells customers they can either have a "main" (if you can even call it that), or a dessert, but not both.

"Please choose either one from our all day selection or something from the bakery." - LNER, and the words in bold are also in bold on their website!

The all day selection lists the sandwiches, and the bakery selection lists the two cake desserts, at the moment these are a pain a chocolat or seed cake.

Honestly, I'm appalled. It's bad enough that they list "one" in bold, as if a single sandwich would be an acceptable substitute for what used to be offered, but now to say that you cannot have both one of their measly sandwiches and one of their underwhelming cakes in a packet (wistfully remembers the ginger cheesecake served on a china plate on VTEC) is pathetic.

dave87016

Established Member
LNER's website now tells customers they can either have a "main" (if you can even call it that), or a dessert, but not both.

"Please choose either one from our all day selection or something from the bakery." - LNER, and the words in bold are also in bold on their website!

The all day selection lists the sandwiches, and the bakery selection lists the two cake desserts, at the moment these are a pain a chocolat or seed cake.

Honestly, I'm appalled. It's bad enough that they list "one" in bold, as if a single sandwich would be an acceptable substitute for what used to be offered, but now to say that you cannot have both one of their measly sandwiches and one of their underwhelming cakes in a packet (wistfully remembers the ginger cheesecake served on a china plate on VTEC) is pathetic.
It really takes the biscuit , given the fact first class fares have gone up and the difference in price between standard and first has widened its very poor of LNER to offer one or the other .

I really used to enjoy first class on GNER and VTEC but I wouldn’t bother with it now ok some will be happy with the space , table and tranquility and not the food that first class offers but still it’s ridiculous of LNER

Scotrail314209

Established Member

I would put in a complaint about this if travelling first class.
Oh there has been complaints about it on social media already. One complaint was that someone in their carriage asked for an extra sandwich and got told no.

Gone are the days where you would get a hot dish and bakery items on a lunchtime train from Edinburgh. Woe betide my journey in December...

Definitely appalling behaviour though. Hopefully they introduce the new Dish menu soon.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Should I feel guilty that last week I had s sandwich and 2 small cakes (the second cake was offered after everyone had been served).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Should I feel guilty that last week I had s sandwich and 2 small cakes (the second cake was offered after everyone had been served).
How dare you have a second cake! That is not on. :D

On a serious note, I think it's down to luck with the crew you get. Some will happily pile you with stuff, while others will be very stingy.

I recall doing a Newcastle to Edinburgh VTEC run in the evening. I got one cup of lukewarm orange juice, followed by clearing down at Morpeth, when on a previous journey I got a sandwich with it.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
There is so much estimate going about with menus here. One says within a week, or within two weeks, or early next year. I don't think anybody knows whats happening.

Although, from December 1st there will be some form of Christmas 1st class menu as seen in tweets here.

Is there a Christmas first class menu coming? I saw that announced on your website
There is, from the 1st December. The menu isn't on the website as of yet but it will be closer to the time. ^Charlene

I wonder what it will be.

Butts

Veteran Member
Oh there has been complaints about it on social media already. One complaint was that someone in their carriage asked for an extra sandwich and got told no.

Gone are the days where you would get a hot dish and bakery items on a lunchtime train from Edinburgh. Woe betide my journey in December...

Definitely appalling behaviour though. Hopefully they introduce the new Dish menu soon.

What was their response to this on twitter ?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
What was their response to this on twitter ?
They did make some very good points when it came to the food and drink (customer).

Link has the full thread: https://twitter.com/canzograz/status/1463842031135076356?s=20

@LNER
"Please choose either one from our all day selection or something from bakery" - Your first class menu. So as if it wasn't stingy enough replacing hot meals with sandwiches, and THEN refusing more than one on a 4 hour journey, you're now saying its a sandwich OR a dessert?
Hi, some bakery items are included as a main in our complimentary meals. I am sorry that you feel there wasnt enough for you to eat.
I just think it's bad that it goes from, say, salmon and potatoes followed by cheesecake, to - it's a sandwich or a packet of cake, and if you ask for more we will patronise you as if you were a naughty school child. I'm not trolling, but the way your staff speak to people (1/2)

(2/2) (not me) if they dare ask for another small sandwich on their 4 hour journey is really patronising. I half expected them to pat the gentleman opposite me's head and tell him not to be a cheeky, greedy little boy. It makes me uncomfortable, and this is a regular occurrence
Our staff definitely should come across as patronizing, what service are you on? The crew will keep stock back for customers joining later in the route but we will provide all the stock we can to our customers.
Just a generic response with a rather amusing typo in it.

It is a bit of a joke with regards to how subpar it is, I hope the Christmas menu is a step above.

The whole thing about stock makes sense but it is a bit of a cop out. Avanti have no issue serving food a few times throughout.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They did make some very good points when it came to the food and drink (customer).

Link has the full thread: https://twitter.com/canzograz/status/1463842031135076356?s=20

Just a generic response with a rather amusing typo in it.

It is a bit of a joke with regards to how subpar it is, I hope the Christmas menu is a step above.

The whole thing about stock makes sense but it is a bit of a cop out. Avanti have no issue serving food a few times throughout.
That is me. I tweeted them following my discovery of this either or situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sounds like a recipe for disaster! o_O

I'm not sure the passengers who shared my train carriage the day after appreciated it as much !

Still, I think that was in the days of the slammers, so at least they could open a window !

gaillark

National Express East Coast were dreadful towards the end.
I've used LNER a lot over the years and whats been said above is getting on par with National Express era.
Even during the covid lockdown (when catering eventually returned) you got more.

The dish and dine menu I understand should have been introduced in September and keeps on being delayed.
I wouldn't hold any hopes for the return of an on-board chef and a proper cooked breakfast returning.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Menu for the festive period updated. It’s just Deli with a few more options.

Hot eats​

Waffles​

Served warm with your choice of:

• Plum and vintage port jam
  • Maple flavoured syrup
  • Nutella

Bacon Roll​

British bacon in a soft white roll, served with your choice of ketchup or brown sauce.

Cheese, Tomato and Mushroom Ciabatta V​

A delicious savoury filling with melted cheese, served warm in a light ciabatta roll.

Cold Sandwiches​

Beef & Piccalilli Sandwich​

Roast beef with a tangy piccalilli chutney

Sticky Fig and Cheddar Sandwich V​

Mature cheddar sandwich with a festive fig chutney on fruit bread

New York Deli Sandwich​

Pastrami, Emmental cheese, mustard and gherkin mayo with tomato and spinach on dark farmer’s bread

Falafel, Red Pepper and Houmous Sandwich VG​

Falafel, roasted red pepper and houmous with vegan mayo and lettuce on tomato and olive oil bread

Pea, Bean and Mint Salad Pot V VG GF​

Chickpeas, soya beans, adzuki beans, and peas, in a light mint vinaigrette

Bakery​

Seeded Loaf Cake VG​

A sweet loaf cake, packed with oats, seeds and raisins.

Pain au Chocolat V​

The continental classic, combining rich buttery pastry with a bitter chocolate filling

Snacks & Sweet Treats​

Apple Crumble Cheesecake Pot​

A creamy, rich pot made on our route in Newcastle by Beckleberry's

A selection of other snacks and sweet treats will be offered by your host​

Hot Drinks​

Coffee​

Decaf available on request

Tea​

Breakfast tea, decaf, Peppermint, Earl Grey or Green tea

Apple & Cinnamon Tea

Made on our route by Taylors of Harrogate

Hot Chocolate​

Soft Drinks​

Harrogate Spring Water​

Still or Sparkling

Coca-Cola​

Diet Coke​

Lemonade​

Ginger Ale​

Orange Juice

Alcohol​

Alcohol is available 7 days a week starting between 11:00 and 12:00 depending on service.

Wine​

Red, White or Rose

Hop on Board Ale​

Our signature golden ale, brewed for LNER by Rudgate Brewery of York.

Budvar​

Czech lager

Spirits​

A selection of gin, vodka, whiskey and mixers
New additions are the Spirits, Waffles, Cheesecake, Apple & Cinnamon Tea as well as the Beef & Piccalilli and Sticky Fig & Cheddar Sandwiches.

Overall, it would’ve been nice if they expanded their hot food service a little bit more, surely a mini version of a christmas dinner would suffice.

PupCuff

Incidentally, the New York Deli and Falafel sandwiches don't appear in the printed menus (attached), so I wonder if that may perhaps be a website typo, or just them having remaining stock to use up on an 'ad hoc' basis?

20211201_133948.jpg

On the whole it strikes me as a bit of a poor effort to be honest. Rock hard bacon roll thrown at me as though making one was an inconvenience. No offer of the aforementioned "To finish" stuff. Not really a premium service (which is fine in principle, until you start charging premium fares).

Stormaggeddon

Interesting that they seem to have gone with whiskey (Jameson's?), given they serve Scotland. My colleagues in Edinburgh won't be impressed.

On the "food" front I'd rather they just binned it off rather than carrying on like this. Even National Express had a better offer, albeit paid for.