• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London or Watford to Penrith

Status
Not open for further replies.

EABowden

Hi all

I'm struggling with the Virgin trains mixing deck.

I live in Harpenden, and need to get to Penrith and back some time in May or June.

I can easily get to Euston, or Watford although the shorter journey seems more expensive.

Could someone please help with the best days and times to travel for the cheapest fare?

I have an annual gold card, not that it seems to help on this route

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all

I'm struggling with the Virgin trains mixing deck.

I live in Harpenden, and need to get to Penrith and back some time in May or June.

I can easily get to Euston, or Watford although the longer journey seems more expensive.

Could someone please help with the best days and times to travel for the cheapest fare?

I have an annual gold card, not that it seems to help on this route
Yes; rail travel is not infrequently priced that a shorter journey is more expensive than a longer journey.

You can use your Gold Card part of the way if you want flexible fares (using trains operated by West Midlands Trains for part of the journey), but it's cheaper not to use it, and instead use Advance fares.

Trainsplit found Advance singles starting at £30 for random midweek dates in June, although this did involve travelling via Birmingham rather than the faster Trent Valley route.

Status
Not open for further replies.