• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground assessments (was "hi all, can anyone help on this, pls")

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob70

hi guys,
does anyone know the following information;
I have to attend an assessment day ar LOROL (london Overground) , and on confirming the appointment they sent me a booklet to practise some excercises (i.e. multiple choice tests).
the assessment will include
1) aptitude tests (mechanical comprehension and trainability test)

2) safety tests (coordination and reaction tests, plus a test of concentration)

3) a structured interview.
My question is;
do u know if there is somewhere (i.e. online etc..) where I may find the complete list of the actual questions that I, as an applicant, will be meant to answer???
thanks , would appreciate a knowledgable feedback

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
hi guys,
I have to attend an assessment day ar LOROL (london Overground) , and on confirming the appointment they sent me a booklet to practise some excercises (i.e. multiple choice tests).

My question is;
do u know if there is somewhere (i.e. online etc..) where I may find the complete list of the actual questions that I, as an applicant, will be meant to answer???

That seems a bit naughty to me as the tests are set to ascertain your knowledge on the subject. The questions are not always the same as they change them at frequent intervals. The best way to combat the questions is to go through them and mark the ones you know 100%, then go through again and do the ones that you think are right, then if you have time go through them once again and guess - they are normally multi choice.

rob70

thanks,
well, i've through the thing again, and again, but i was wandering if there is a link where i can find the whole lot, i know it may sound a bit unconventional, but if u know something morei would appreciate

Mushroom

I had always assumed the point of a test was to not know what the questions were going to be... Can I ask what position you are applying for?

furryfeet

there is nothing wrong in seeing if there are practice exams questions on a subject out there on a web site.

at least in trying to do this, he is preparing - which is a lot better for both sides than going unprepared.

best also to note down WHY he is going for that job for that organisation
i.e. what does he have to offer LUL
what do they have to gain by taking him on ?

rob70

so, does anyone know where i can get some links on the tests i described above in my 1st thread?? many thanks

O L Leigh

Established Member
The structured interview questions are not to ascertain your level of knowledge but your attitude and experience. Therefore there are no "right" answers and, therefore, not a huge amount of point in trying to get hold of the actual questions.

The best website is already linked to in the "Becoming a train driver" thread which is at the top of this forum.

O L Leigh

Aussie_Rail

so, does anyone know where i can get some links on the tests i described above in my 1st thread?? many thanks
Usually companies that conduct tests and examinations like this don't make the questions or what type of questions they might be accessible to the public as to me that would be considered to be cheating as you would have had prior knowledge of an important examination in the recruiting process.

Best advice would be to have a look at other types of testing that other companies and organisations have conducted, there will be examples of such questions somewhere on the web and it would hurt if you had some insight into what they will ask.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
In all honesty I think the book they send you is the best practice you can get for this. It is a case of you can do it or you can't. When I did the structured interview, I had a quick question sheet beforehand, which had three questions on it. The interview is based on those questions and is not so much about what you say, but more HOW you answer their questions.

The tests are to determine how suitable you are, not how much you know. They are about how you mind and senses work, and how they adapt to a set of problems.

Two summers ago I applied for a train driver job (Euston-Watford DC line) with the forerunner of LOROL, i.e. Silverlink. My experiences may therefore be useful to you, Rob 70.

I was pleased to be invited to take some aptitude tests at Silverlink's offices in Old Street, London. Like you, I was sent a package beforehand with some example questions; these seemed fairly straightforward to me and I was not too apprehensive about what was to come.

On the day there were six of us taking the tests. These were FAR HARDER than the examples, and there was insufficient time allowed to complete or do the job properly, in my opinion. (Try and give an answer to each multiple choice question, I don't believe you are marked down for incorrect answers arising from a guess made in haste.) Many of the questions seem to involve levers, gears, pulleys and so on. e.g. a complex series of cogs is shown in the question, which then says if cog B is rotated anticlockwise, what happens to cog H / lever B.......?

At the end of this we six trooped out, went downstairs and the smokers lit up. We all agreed it was tough and none of us seemed very hopeful. Eventually called back upstairs, the HR lady asked me and another guy to collect our belongings. We said "well done" to the others and trooped out. Imagine our surprise when it was us two that had got through and the other four who were going home! We then carried out the Bourdon dots test before leaving.

Some weeks later I attended a second interview at Watford, involving reaction times, ability to write short reports, communication skills and the structured interview.

I declined a third interview (I must have been OK at the Watford session) with the trainee train driver manager because I had by this time accepted a job offer with NWR as a signaller. Silverlink's HR department moved at a snail's pace, and being unemployed at the time I was not going to take the risk and turn down the NWR offer which was on the table.

Hope that helps. Try to relax as much as possible on the day of the test. Don't have a drink (alcohol) the night before and try and get a good night's sleep! And let us know what happens!

Last edited:

ungreat

The structured interview questions are not to ascertain your level of knowledge but your attitude and experience. Therefore there are no "right" answers and, therefore, not a huge amount of point in trying to get hold of the actual questions.

The best website is already linked to in the "Becoming a train driver" thread which is at the top of this forum.

O L Leigh

Correct brother..they are asked on the day,no preparation is neccessary,and to be honest worthwhile as they could ask you stuff that is simply not connected to railway matters..its to gauge your responses to certain stuff,and will be worded as such

Trainee Driver!

hi guys,

My question is;

how did you get on with your assessment day with LOROL?

Status
Not open for further replies.